U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 PM

60 posts, read 141,575 times
Default Rural outskirts of Denver (Golden?)

My husband and I are new to Colorado. We live in the Springs now and will be relocating to Denver for work. We are not sure yet how we feel about Colorado for the long-term.

Our dream is to have 10+ acres of forested land with a small cabin or house, with a creek or lake, close to the mountains & skiing and still be within 1 hour of a city for under $200k.

I was looking online at some of the land in or west of Golden and it looked pretty nice for what we have in mind. Prices seemed to vary significantly from cheap acreage to multi-million dollar homes. So I don't have a good idea yet of affordability of this area... My impression of Denver (coming from metro NY) is that it is extremely afforable, so how would the rural (not suburban!) outskirts compare? Is it untapped territory? Or is it already pretty desirable?

Can any locals give any info/advice on Golden and the areas west of it. Pros/Cons? We would love to be somewhat isolated--but still have easy access to the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM

877 posts, read 820,888 times
I think for pretty much all forested areas around town you will have to spend a lot more than $200k. It's definitely more affordable here, but it isn't cheap. West of Golden and near Evergreen is a nice area, however when it comes to snowstorms it can be a real pain and a very dangerous place to be in terms of trying to get somewhere.

There are also other places - southwest of the city near Conifer. Another popular area.

You can also check out the Elizabeth area. It's a little bit east of where I live, has lots of forest and everything you need is in either Parker or Castle Rock. Many people commute to Denver from Elizabeth for work, although it can be a long commute.

None of these are directly suburban either, so you're fine in that sense.

If driving to work or wherever in snow is a larger problem for you, I would stay out of the foothills directly and look more in a place like Elizabeth that doesn't get quite as much snow.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM

3,607 posts, read 4,098,510 times
Seems like a tall order to get just the land in the mountains or foothills for $20,000/acre within an hour of Denver. Add in any kind of dwelling or improvements and I'd say its a very tall order. Land an hour away in a less desirable direction (E or NE mostly) often costs more than that depending on access to roads and development.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 AM

8,899 posts, read 11,733,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
Our dream is to have 10+ acres of forested land with a small cabin or house, with a creek or lake, close to the mountains & skiing and still be within 1 hour of a city for under $200k.
Isn't this what everybody who moves to Colorado wants?

I think so.

There are affordable areas in the mountains, in fact, Evergreen, Conifer, and "Golden" 80403, are pretty affordable for what you get. The 10 acre thing will be near impossible I would think.

Keep in mind that you'd be living in an area with lots of snow, and you'd have extremely long commutes (impossible some days) to Denver (if necessary).

Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 AM

115 posts, read 45,812 times
You could get that acerage within that price range in western PA.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:15 PM

115 posts, read 209,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobbin View Post
You could get that acerage within that price range in western PA.
Western PA to Denver would be quite a commute.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM

17,193 posts, read 23,775,334 times
IMO, the dream is way out of reach, for many reasons. Get here, rent for a year if not already in a home, then drive around the foothills and work sites like realtor.com to get a handle on prices and what's possible.

The idyllic property you describe really doesn't exist, or is only available to people able to spend upper 6 figures or low 7 figures.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM

8,585 posts, read 18,727,491 times
I have talked to or emailed with hundreds of relocation buyers over the years...as you can imagine it's not easy to explain why at our elevation we are not "in the mountains," or that Denver is a thriving metro area, not a sleepy cowboy town, or why you can't commute from Ft. Collins or Boulder or Colorado Springs, or why you can't take light rail to the airport, or why we don't have a particular style of house, or why acreage is so expensive, why Denver is pretty suburban, or why an average house is still in the $200,000's, or why lots are "small" , or why we don't have forests, or palm trees, or why there is no rule of thumb about low balling offers, or why I don't work without a contract....

thanks for reading.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:44 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,084,703 times
10 acres...cabin/house...lake/river...skiing close..forested AND 1 hour to the city...200,000 thousand?????
Maybe a foreclosure on Upper Bear Creek in the outskirts of Evergreen/Kittridge, fixer upper at the least!!

Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM

60 posts, read 141,575 times
Hmm... I only thought this was possible because I saw two 10 acre lots in Golden for sale and a beautiful house on 10 acres (for $300k). But I guess maybe this land is far out in Golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver