U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 AM

30 posts, read 24,779 times
Default Planning on visiting possibly moving to Denver

I am a 26 year old female who is ready move out of Florida. I was thinking of going back up north to New Jersey or moving to Denver. I heard a lot of good things about Denver but I just want to hear from the people that live their.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of living there?

The price of living and the life style ?

Thanks for your feed back. Very much appreciate it .
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 33,806 times
Here's my lengthy list of gripes about Denver (from the "What do you dislike about Denver" thread):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17041800-post492.html

But there are lots of things to love about the place:

1. It's sunny almost every day, which most people seem to really appreciate. Also there's very low humidity here, if that's a factor for you one way or the other. Some people seem to have problems with it.

2. Despite peoples' griping about Denver's winters, they're actually quite a bit milder than in NJ. It's been about 55-60 degrees almost every day here this winter.

3. You don't say where in FL you're moving from, but I'd guess that Denver is a lot less hideous than the places I've seen in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville). People are a lot more outdoorsy here, much less obese, much less confined to their cars, much more educated in general. This is, of course, a generality, but it's true for the most part.

4. The mountains are amazing, although you have to drive a bit from Denver to really experience them.

5. I don't know much about FL's cost of living, but I hear Denver is a relatively affordable place to live. The median home price is something like $230K, and I'd guess the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment is in the $800-1000 range. Other than skiing, I can't think of anything here that is unusually expensive.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Thank you.

I am currently living in Tampa. Moved here when i was a kid and was ready to go when we moved and am ready to go now.

I will look into the link. Thank you for your help

J

Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

87 posts, read 131,804 times
I moved here a year ago when I was 24 and felt like I made a great decision.

Denver has a lot to offer. A.) The weather is great. summer nights are nice and cool, winters are always sunny (50's and 60s like previously mentioned are normal this time of year).. very clean air and tap water.

B.) environment/scenery. You have some amazing mountains, streams, scenery, and just overall outdoorsy stuff around Denver. perfect for outdoorsy people. I moved from Kansas, so alot of it was new to me for the most part, but I have really loved it.

c.) city life (can be both good and bad)... traffic can suck during rush hour and even more during the summer bc of tourists. other than that, it has tons of great food, beer/bars, young people our age. Nieghborhoods are very friendly and vintage feeling in some parts, with a very safe feel to me. I think the "danger" or unsafe feelings sometimes talk about denver are way out of proportion.

The Bad. - The drivers. Denver is full of transplants, so i feel like a small % of drivers are familiar with the area. traffic sucks.
parking sucks. the closer to downtown you get, the harder it is to find a spot.
-thats about it really

I really think anyone would like living in CO, bc like i said it just has so much to offer. you can be into anything and im sure you will find it in CO. lots of friendly people moving from other places. I came here for the music, and to find a new job and both have been great. Denver i think is on the "up swing" from this terrible economy. You should look into Denver for sure!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM

417 posts, read 574,878 times
I like Denver because it has lots of transplants so everyone is pretty friendly. In other places where it's mostly people who grew up in the same city and will never leave it can be harder to make new friends. I also like the outdoors and Denver has a lot to offer. The city itself is great and they are constantly expanding the transit system.

The only downside is that you have to compete with more people for a small number of good jobs. Denver doesn't have the corporate presence that cities like Chicago, Dallas or even Minneapolis have so there aren't as many jobs available as those cities, and the tech/energy sectors aren't as large as some other cities either. It seems there are too many people chasing too few jobs there. I lived there for a short time but would like to move back if I can find a decent job.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Thank you both . I really appreciate it . I been hearing a lot of great things about denver and it makes me really want to visit soon. I understand that not everything will be peaches and creme but I dont want to go and be miserable.

As far as work I hope to be able to work remotely from the company i am working with now but if i can not I want to make sure that its not as dry as florida. Down here you would be lucky if you get a call for an interview. Every day it seems to be getting worst.

Can you any of you tell me what is the policy for transferring your vehicle registration to CO ?

Thanks again for all your help

Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM

13 posts, read 9,717 times
Denver is still a cowtown. Life is fairly slow here, and many of us see that as a plus. On the downside, we have a goofy mayor who will soon be governor. As with many of the residents, he approves of the many illegal Mexicans in our midst.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM

24 posts, read 33,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
On the downside, we have a goofy mayor who will soon be governor.
Yep, he puts the "goober" in gubernatorial!

Thanks, I've been dying to use that for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
As with many of the residents, he approves of the many illegal Mexicans in our midst
I recently met a woman who was here illegally from Germany. Are they okay?

Seriously though, I don't think anyone (other than service-sector employers and illegals themselves) "approves" of their presence; it's just that some people differ on how to handle the issue. For example, many of us are aware of the additional shock to our economy that would be occasioned by doing some sort of wholesale eviction or persecution. I totally agree that our current immigration policy sucks, and that their presence is a huge strain on our system. But on the other hand, America is hopelessly addicted to dirt-cheap labor, and until we reconcile that, we're going to have a continual demand for their presence.

Plus, the OP is moving from Florida; I'm pretty sure she's accustomed to seeing brown people.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

90 posts, read 160,766 times
Do not come here without a job. Things are certainly no better here than in Florida, but at least Florida has a lot more companies to try to find employment.

If you can make it here, it is a great place to live.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:40 PM

32 posts, read 46,444 times
hi, we moved here last year from northern new jersey and LOVE it here!!!! new jersey is a crazy expensive place to live, and i could go on and on about the negatives of nj. i would definitely consider denver over nj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver