U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM

423 posts, read 606,500 times
Default Neighborhoods South of Downtown?

I moved to Denver back in early 2007 before abruptly moving later that year for another job opportunity. I would like to return in the next couple of years when the economy picks up (I am an architect but have been working for a commercial general contractor for the past few years).

When I lived in Denver I rented an apartment near DU. If I move back I would want to probably rent and then look to buy a house. I like the neighborhoods south of downtown the best, roughly east/north of I-25, south/west of Speer and west of Logan. In this area where would I find the most affordable neighborhood? What about the area around Dailey Park in Baker? How are the local schools? And are there any crime issues?

Since I work in design/construction I would be willing to renovate so a 'fixer-uper' is fine as long as the neighborhood is decent. I would really like to buy into a neighborhood or block that is getting better but needs more people like myself to invest in updating the properties. I'm not set on a single-family house but would go for a rowhouse or condo. I would like 3 bedrooms (or 2 bedrooms and an office) and 2 baths though. My price range would be $1,200 max a month for renting and then when I found a house/condo in the 250-300K range (before any renovations).

I'm also looking for an area where houses would have views of downtown. I realize Highlands is probably the best area for that but wasn't sure if any neighborhoods south of downtown had homes (or condos) with views. Any help is much appreciated as I only lived in Denver for a short time so I don't know the city that well but know I want to move back!

Last edited by SouthXSW; 12-28-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM

345 posts, read 549,882 times
Jefferson Park (just south of the highlands) might have some of what you are looking for. Not sure on prices though.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

473 posts, read 541,477 times
we bought a house two blocks from daily park and love the neighborhood. prices might be a bit higher than you are looking for, but i have seen several fixer-uppers that you could probably get a good bargain on. the area is safe, but the hirshfield towers public housing across the street from daily park definitely add some colorful characters to the neighborhood. there is not much of a view of downtown unless you have a high floor apartment.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
we bought a house two blocks from daily park and love the neighborhood. prices might be a bit higher than you are looking for, but i have seen several fixer-uppers that you could probably get a good bargain on. the area is safe, but the hirshfield towers public housing across the street from daily park definitely add some colorful characters to the neighborhood. there is not much of a view of downtown unless you have a high floor apartment.
Thanks. I'm assuming the prices get higher as you go west toward Logan? I knew someone who lived in the Logan & Ellsworth area and they really liked it. What are your opinions of that neighborhood just south of Speer?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:57 PM

5,460 posts, read 13,880,285 times
You should probably take a good look at Englewood-- it's practically a part of south Denver:

Englewood -- PHOTO TOUR

Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You should probably take a good look at Englewood-- it's practically a part of south Denver:

Englewood -- PHOTO TOUR
What are some decent neighborhoods (low crime, good schools) close to the Englewood light rail station? Are there any where I could find older homes that are 3 bd/2 ba for around 250K?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

8,512 posts, read 18,474,999 times
how close is close? There are 15 within walking distance, 12 with garages in our MLS.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
how close is close? There are 15 within walking distance, 12 with garages in our MLS.
Within 2 miles. What are the neighborhoods around Broadway & Oxford like? Are there any really bad areas in Englewood?

Old 12-30-2010, 05:07 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,892,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Within 2 miles. What are the neighborhoods around Broadway & Oxford like? Are there any really bad areas in Englewood?
Englewood varies block to block. Some parts are nicer then others. Generally speaking (very general) I would say that the West side of Broadway between Belleview and Hampden is nicer then the east side and I prefer the east side of Broadway to the west side between Floyd and Yale. The area around Swedish Hospital is surrounded by aging apartment buildings and is not very appealing imo. I know that they have some revitalization plans in the works and I noticed that they tore down a bunch of buildings on Old Hampden very recently and are re-developing. You'd really have to drive around Englewood to see which areas you prefer.

You can easily find a 3BD 2BA in your price range in Englewood in a nice area and be within 2 miles of light rail. Look up 80113 and 80110 to get an idea of housing options in your price range. Also keep in mind that the 0 Bus runs up and down Broadway and you can transfer to light rail from there or just take the bus all the way downtown. There's also a free ART shuttle that runs near Swedish and goes to the light rail. As long as you live near one of those options, you can get to light rail without having to walk far or drive.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 PM

60 posts, read 13,868 times
Keep in mind that EPS are attrocious. Not nearly as bad as DPS, but you wouldn't want to send your kids to EHS or Flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver