U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Denver area, seeking information on IT jobs in Highlands Ranch, Louisville, Software job market in downtown Denver, IT jobs in Colorado

Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 PM

16 posts, read 66,486 times

Advertisements

We are strongly considering move to the Denver area. So far HR looks like winner. Still (after digging through job search sites) we can't get a good feel on where are more IT/software jobs: south of Denver (DTC, etc.) or Boulder and surroundings? Is there obvious winner based on this criteria? Or these areas have about the same amount of tech jobs? Also it appears from scouring real estate sites that HR has more choice to offer (we are looking within 350 - 400 - maybe up to 450). Louisville appear either very expensive or old (nevertheless seem to get into top lists to live regularly...). IB schools are also important for us and it seems that HR has one while Louisville does not (but Lafayette does). All comments are appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM

8,673 posts, read 19,322,178 times
more tech jobs in DTC than Interlocken/Broomfield/Superior - or Denver, but IT happens in every business.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM

739 posts, read 2,094,322 times
there are lots of jobs in interlocken, dtc, and denver downtown currently. I'd say historically there have been more in DTC.

On another note, I do recruiting for a couple of companies locally... if you want to PM me your resume, I'd be happy to take a look and give any advice I can. Thanks

Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
The broader "DTC" area is the largest employment center in the state, if you count the other office parks like Meridian, Inverness, etc in that general vicinity. Downtown Denver has almost as many jobs, but in a much more concentrated geographic area, and not all of which are IT (lots of financial jobs there). Boulder County / Interlocken is a fairly close third in terms of employment numbers, many of which are IT as well.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks for all your replies.
On the real-estate note did we get a right feeling that Highlands Ranch has more to offer of newer houses and in our price range of 350 - 400 compared to Louisville?
Schools. We are not sure how open-enrollment school system works at the basic level. In other words if you live in the school district area - are you guaranteed the enrollment (or if 'outsiders' filled size up to the limt you are out of luck)? What about those from outside district area - are they always accepted or only until size cap is reached? Does such thing as a size cap even exist that plays any role in this?

Thank you.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM

18 posts, read 91,350 times
Boulder County you must submit an Open Enrollment application if you want you kids to go anywhere in BC that isn't your neighborhood school One important thing to note is that Focus and Charter schools aren't considered neighborhood schools so even if you live close to a really good one, as I do, you still have to apply via open enrollment.

Found this link to a post from last year.

While I agree with the above posters about the # of jobs in the DTC area, I must say that there are a surprising number of smaller technology firms on the north side of town. The area between Broomfield and Longmont is very active with tech SMBs.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,042 posts, read 60,574,028 times
[quote=Rootsy;1094946]
Quote:
Boulder County you must submit an Open Enrollment application if you want you kids to go anywhere in BC that isn't your neighborhood school One important thing to note is that Focus and Charter schools aren't considered neighborhood schools so even if you live close to a really good one, as I do, you still have to apply via open enrollment.
The school district is not "Boulder County". There are two school districts in Bo. Co., one of which is Boulder Valley, serving southern Boulder Co, parts of Gilpin and Broomfield Counties. The other district is St. Vrain Valley, which serves northern Boulder Co. and some of Weld Co. Louiville is in the Boulder Valley School District. To open enroll in BVSD, in brief, one must fill out an application. Once a student is accepted to open enroll, the new school becomes the student's home school. If the student wants to go anywhere else in the district, including back to his/her home school, he/she must reapply to open enroll at the new school. There are priorities and preferences in OE., eg, siblings of students in the school, students of teachers at a school (I think), etc. There is some OE from outside the district, mainly from nearby districts such as St. Vrain and Adams 12. Out of district students are in the lowest priority. The whole process can be found on the district's website www.bvsd.org

New topic: Students new to district: The BVSD must accomodate any student living in the district. Usually, accomodations can be made in the neighborhood school. If not, and this has happened in the past, the district will bus the student to another school. This is in distinction to OE students who must provide their own transportation.

Enrollment caps: Yes there are enrollment caps. In the past some schools have been closed to open enrollment. I don't know if this is the case right now. All schools have a maximum capacity. As I stated earlier, once a student is accepted to open enroll, that school becomes his/her home school and he/she is a part of that school community. Students cannot be bumped back to their neighborhood school b/c of a cap, but a student may be denied OE somewhere b/c of an enrollment cap. So no, OEs are not always accepted.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:46 PM

22 posts, read 66,980 times
Just FYI Highlands Ranch operates on a track system for elementary school. I don't know if the Boulder area schools do. Tracks basically put you in school all year round. You have 3 week breaks every 9 weeks instead of one long summer break.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Thank you all. This was valuable.

So HR track system applies only to elementary? Do middle and high school have traditional system? What are the pros and cons of track system?

Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,042 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Boulder Valley schools are not on a track system, though it has been discussed. Right now, there is sufficient capacity with a traditional schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver