U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,318,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Denver has more of a SoCal vibe than any other US city I've been to. Many of the same chains are here, clothing similar albeit in a colder climate.
Like Ikea, Trader Joes and In-n-Out Burger. Oh wait. That's not true. Though we do have an Ikea coming.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

To be fair, many fast food chains were started in Colorado, including Noodles & Co and Chipotle, both of which are present in southern California.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,005,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
I guess I wasn't very clear...I didn't mean that men and women look like eachother (like with matching outfits or something...that's def super creepy and can't say I've ever seen that in Denver either). I meant it more along the lines of...the women look the same (twins of eachother in style, body type, hair, even facial (or reconstructed) structure...and same with the guys. That's more of what i meant. I hope that makes it a little more clear; my point that is.
There is actually a uniform guide lines packet that's handed out to all transplants when they go to get their new plates ; it generally includes tips like the right hair style,clothing, and a short chapter on fitness, beauty and cosmetic surgery options. I think most people find it very handy.
North Face always has some pretty solid info. for choosing just the right fleece and warm up accesories for those who need to get in the loop.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:50 PM

5,462 posts, read 14,030,416 times
First off, southern California is way too huge, diverse, and multidimensional of a region to speak in generalities about the people. I'm also not sure why Denver is always compared to southern California when if you had to choose, northern California-- and even the Pacific Northwest, actually has more in common.

There are a lot of people from southern California who have moved to the Denver metro area-- no argument about that. But overall, neither Denver nor the suburbs (of any direction) has a "SoCal" vibe. The architecture of Denver-- both old and new-- is totally different than California, with the exception of a few isolated custom built homes here and there. The climate is totally different, with totally different activities. The food is different. The economy is different. The urban geography and history of the metro areas are different. There are WAY fewer Asians, especially Chinese, way less international diversity in general over a larger area. Denver's also way less segregated, too. A lot of the common expressions for things are a little different. The native accent is very subtlely different too.

Las Vegas is the closest thing there is to a "SoCal" style city outside of California, followed by Phoenix, followed by Tucson. Denver is really a "middle-American" city-- although a lot "hipper" than most of them.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:01 AM

5,748 posts, read 7,100,955 times
In my experience living in medium to large cities from one coast to the other over the last twenty years, suburban life is ubiquitous. It has more to do with demographics than geography. Movers, who are in a unique position to know these things, have told me repeatedly that mobile middle-class families vary little: same clothes, same furniture, same appliances, same vacation memorabilia, same books, same toys. So of course Douglas County, CO looks like Orange County, CA looks like Montgomery County, MD looks like Collin County, TX . . . . We're basically a country within a country, and we follow each other from job center to job center reestablishing our lifestyle wherever we go.

True story: in my relatively small neighborhood, I have come across no fewer than half-a-dozen families who have lived less than 10 miles from where I haved lived over the course of my life. In one case, I was surprised to discover that I was already personally acquainted with one of my new neighbors. We both have photos of our now teenage daughters together as infants from a party at a mutual friend's house.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-26-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM

There are interchangable locations between the two areas. Northern Cal. Laguna,Newport Beach,Boulder,Cherry Creek interchange. What do I mean by this? For example ride around Lido Isle between Nov-March and see how many Colorado plates are in the driveways.Public records show Coloradoan's have a heavy hand in OC coastal real estate ownership. Every time I move back to Newport I run into the same people I saw in Creek or Boulder,neighbors on both sides in NB were from Boulder County .. The coastal stretches along OC and San Diego are also where many Colorado CATT3 and above winter train. In fact the rolling pins near Laguna is where I ultimately blew my knees out that ended my racing days about a decade ago.

Next time your out driving Coast Highway look closely at the Jerseys on the cyclists riding by; you will see alot of Gold and Black buffaloes and Colorado flags. I have been bouncing between the two areas for years,us native Coloradoans( luvs the So. Cal). as well it's not a one way flow by any means. Worked out well for me. I learned to surf off of 40th and Seashore in NB years ago,learned to ski/snowboard at Winter Park..same thing different fluidity.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 17,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
There are a lot of people from southern California who have moved to the Denver metro area-- no argument about that. But overall, neither Denver nor the suburbs (of any direction) has a "SoCal" vibe. The architecture of Denver-- both old and new-- is totally different than California, with the exception of a few isolated custom built homes here and there. The climate is totally different, with totally different activities. The food is different. The economy is different. The urban geography and history of the metro areas are different. There are WAY fewer Asians, especially Chinese, way less international diversity in general over a larger area. Denver's also way less segregated, too. A lot of the common expressions for things are a little different. The native accent is very subtlely different too.
This has been my impression, after living in Southern California all of my life (just moved to the metro area in late November).

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 AM

10,822 posts, read 12,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
How in the heck is Denver "less tolerant" than southern California? I'm a gay man and I have found this city (suburbs included) to be extremely tolerant and accepting.
lol! Me too... especially compared to Orange County! That place is 15 years behind Denver when it comes to dealing with gay people.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! Me too... especially compared to Orange County! That place is 15 years behind Denver when it comes to dealing with gay people.
Than you can imagine the reactions I have seen from the people I know who have moved straight from Boulder to OC. For me it was like stepping into a time warp. I have heard the oh familiar "Laguna Beach is that way"'I had a friend from TX come out while living in NB..that was rather crazy to watch.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

185 posts, read 189,501 times
I travel to CO quite a bit for work and sensibility-wise, parts of Arapahoe and Douglas county are very similar to Orange County CA, just without the same urban vibe. However, once you go into the tech center and Highlands Ranch, it becomes much more similar to the Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, RSM feel.

Sort of strange, when I was there, I saw license plate frames for all sorts of OC car dealers, Tustin auto center, Tuttle-Click, Crevier, even dear old Fletcher Jones, some with CA plates and some with CO plates. I've NEVER seen that anywhere else I've traveled to, so I think people are on to something with an unusually high number of people from Orange County in south Denver. I think city data has some info to support this.

So given that, it is no surprise that the south part of Denver reflects a more SoCal vibe considering many of the people who have moved there in the last ten years are disproportionately from SoCal, thus making a formerly sparsely populated area in their image.

Given that I love the family friendly feeling, the openness and warmth of coastal OC and South OC, I am happy that the family spirit that make OC so such a wonderful place to raise a family over the last 40 years won't be lost or whither, that is will be replicated and have its spirit grow.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:45 AM
pll

924 posts, read 1,316,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
I travel to CO quite a bit for work and sensibility-wise, parts of Arapahoe and Douglas county are very similar to Orange County CA, just without the same urban vibe. However, once you go into the tech center and Highlands Ranch, it becomes much more similar to the Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch, RSM feel.

Sort of strange, when I was there, I saw license plate frames for all sorts of OC car dealers, Tustin auto center, Tuttle-Click, Crevier, even dear old Fletcher Jones, some with CA plates and some with CO plates. I've NEVER seen that anywhere else I've traveled to, so I think people are on to something with an unusually high number of people from Orange County in south Denver. I think city data has some info to support this.

So given that, it is no surprise that the south part of Denver reflects a more SoCal vibe considering many of the people who have moved there in the last ten years are disproportionately from SoCal, thus making a formerly sparsely populated area in their image.

Given that I love the family friendly feeling, the openness and warmth of coastal OC and South OC, I am happy that the family spirit that make OC so such a wonderful place to raise a family over the last 40 years won't be lost or whither, that is will be replicated and have its spirit grow.
Since you travel to CO frequently and you've noticed many CA transplants, I was wondering if you think the people in Denver have the same friendliness that you have found in OC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver