U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2011, 01:24 PM

59 posts, read 83,636 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving from Texas to Colorado. We want to get away from all the drilling! I know that there is a lot of drilling going on in CO as well and have read about the water being contaminated in some areas from drilling. Do you think it's environmentally better in Texas or CO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,313,007 times
No drilling in subdivisions. There is not one drill in Highlands Ranch, a subdivision.

There is some drilling in northern and eastern Colorado.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 PM

90 posts, read 175,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFields View Post
My family and I are considering moving from Texas to Colorado. We want to get away from all the drilling! I know that there is a lot of drilling going on in CO as well and have read about the water being contaminated in some areas from drilling. Do you think it's environmentally better in Texas or CO?

It depends on the specific location. Contamination generally does not travel that far.

Virtually all of the mineral rights in Colorado are leased to mining/gas/oil concerns. There is drilling all up/down the front range, but most of it is concentrated northeast of Denver. However, there are no guarantees you won't have drilling within 200 feet of your house ANYWHERE on the Front Range, because state law absolutely allows it. There was a drilling rig operating in the Costco parking lot at I-25 and Highway 7 north of Denver just before Christmas...

The companies try to be sensitive to developments, because they know if they abuse the privileges they currently have, the legislature will make things hard for them by actually passing some laws making them operate responsibly. Right now it is a disaster, because many of the drillers don't give a crap about who they harm, and state law and the regulators don't want to alienate one of the few areas of the economy here that are still in the black.

The farther west you go in the metro area, the less likely you are to find drilling. There is none in Golden as far as I know.

When the price of natural gas gets high enough, the lid will be blown off and there will be drilling in places no one ever imagined. Few people know for example that the first oil/gas field in Colorado was inside the current city limits of Boulder on the northeast side of town. The oil and gas is still there, and commercial concerns still own the mineral rights. Someday they will try to extract the oil and gas.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,923 times
When\If the country gets it's ____ together and develops hydrogen\oxygen combustion, there will be NO more drilling or need to worry about the pollution caused by oil combustion. The only tailpipe pollution caused by hydrogen\oxygen fuel is PURE\drinkable water. I believe Chicago has buses that run on hydrogen\oxygen fuel combustion and one Chicago mayor drank water from the tailpipe.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 AM

59 posts, read 83,636 times
Thank you for your thoughts and input. I appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver