U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 PM

190 posts, read 769,321 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are exploring areas for retirement. We were in Denver a few years back and remember liking it alot.

I recently came across something on Stapleton, and was intrigued, but then read some not-so-flattering comments about the development being surrounded on three sides by bad neighborhoods.

We like the idea of a planned community alot, and after living in old homes for most of our married lives, are looking forward to a newish home when we retire.

Are there other areas in Denver that might be better location-wise that are similar to Stapleton? We want to be close to downtown.

My husband will be retired, but I will need to keep working for awhile.

Our budget is @ 350K. Our needs are modest - a 3BR, 1 1/2 BA home with some outside space, and a basement.

One thing I wondered about, is my husband has bad asthma, although it is controlled well by drugs. Is a place that is high altitude going to be an issue for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,280,389 times
I've lived in Stapleton for over 5 years and so far haven't been burgled, attacked, raped, beaten, or killed. Thousands of people live here with little kids... you think it's dangerous? Personally, I like having diversity in the area.

You might want to try Bradburn ---> Bradburn Village | Home

It's not really near downtown, but maybe a 20 min. drive, and surrounded by lots of safe white people. Prices are cheaper than Stapleton too.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:00 PM

115 posts, read 176,585 times
Agree with the above, Bradburn is a bit more than 20 minutes away though.

A lot of the criticisms about any neighborhood can be written off as self justification. If you take into consideration that Stapleton has tens of thousands of residents by now and has been one of the few areas to see price increases I would guess that you have quite a few actual residents who would disagree with the non-resident naysayers.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,633,516 times
I would still look at places in Stapleton anyway. I agree that the adjacent neighborhoods look a bit run down, but the actual Stapleton development itself is HUGE and basically a sea of new construction right in the city. I'm sure you will find something that works for you!

Bradburn is another option. I have co-workers who live there and love it, but to me, it seems like it's out in the middle of nowhere. Not my cup of tea, really, but it doesn't mean that it's not a great option for others!

Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM

694 posts, read 1,792,905 times
I live in Bradburn and get downtown in 20 minutes easy in non rush hour. It's true we are cheaper than Stapleton and surrounded by more traditional suburbia. Basically Bradburn is a walkable, mixed-use neighborhood--like an older city neighborhood with the charm and walkability but new housing--surrounded by large lot, typical suburban subdivisions. There's low crime here, but we still do get some--you will get some in any neighborhood. Over the last 6 years we've had some car thefts and break-ins as well as one house break-in (We have approx 267 townhomes and single family homes in here, MUCH smaller than Stapleton).

While it's true that Stapleton has neighborhoods around it that are not necessarily all that pretty (it was after all, those areas that used to be next to the airport), I don't think they really have excessive crime problems. I have several friends that live in Stapleton and they feel very safe and have never had a problem. I have a few neighbors that have moved to Bradburn from Stapleton, but it wasn't due to crime, they moved because of the schools, but you guys won't have that issue. It really is easy to get to downtown from there so I wouldn't rule it out. You also will have a larger choice of different house types there as opposed to Bradburn.

Something you should also know about Bradburn--it is super, super social. If you don't ever want to speak to your neighbors, it might not be the best choice.

Come check us out though, we are north of downtown closest cross streets are 120th and Sheridan.

Last edited by Bradburn1; 01-31-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
I think you'd be pushing it to get downtown from Bradburn in 20 min. I googled the Goddard School in Bradburn to my old office at 309 Grant St. in Denver (the VNA office) and it says 28-32 min. depending on the route (I-25, I-25/Federal, or 287/Federal).

Both Bradburn and Stapleton have tons of young adults with kids, from what I read here on CD. There is a New Urbanist type place in Broomfield called Anthem Ranch. I have spoken to a number of people who live there and they all like it, saying everyone is very friendly, outgoing, etc.

Anthem Ranch Broomfield CO - Del Webb Broomfield Colorado

This place is a bit farther north than Bradburn, if anyone is looking at working downtown it would be at least a 1/2 hour commute.

It's hard to say if the altitude would bother your husband. Perhaps you should come out here for an extended vacation to see how he handles the altitude.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 PM

694 posts, read 1,792,905 times
Yep, it was 20 minutes for me from Bradburn to the Denver Performing Arts Center just this last Sunday, but there was NO traffic at all which is usually not the case. With even moderate traffic it is25-30 and in rush hour, an easy 40-45. If I wanted to be downtown all the time, I wouldn't live here personally (although you can take the express bus from close park n ride which gets there in about 30 minutes which is pretty good I think).

Anthem in Broomfield is a nice development, it has really awesome views. I know a few folks who have bought up there and really like it. Anthem is not however, new urbanist. Being mixed-use (homes, offices, retail) is a defining feature of new urbanism as is walkability. You cannot walk to any restaurants, offices, or services from Anthem. Every trip will require the car (except to their awesome community center perhaps).

Anthem does have some space for future commercial use, but it is set far from most houses. If you can't walk to a place of business (of some type) from most houses in the development in 5-15 minutes, it's not a new urbanist neighborhood. Stapleton currently does not fit this criteria in some areas, but they will as they build their neighborhood town centers.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM

704 posts, read 1,502,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
My husband and I are exploring areas for retirement. We were in Denver a few years back and remember liking it alot.

I recently came across something on Stapleton, and was intrigued, but then read some not-so-flattering comments about the development being surrounded on three sides by bad neighborhoods.

We like the idea of a planned community alot, and after living in old homes for most of our married lives, are looking forward to a newish home when we retire.

Are there other areas in Denver that might be better location-wise that are similar to Stapleton? We want to be close to downtown.

My husband will be retired, but I will need to keep working for awhile.

Our budget is @ 350K. Our needs are modest - a 3BR, 1 1/2 BA home with some outside space, and a basement.

One thing I wondered about, is my husband has bad asthma, although it is controlled well by drugs. Is a place that is high altitude going to be an issue for him?
I agree with you visa-vis Stapleton. I suppose that there are a handful of people for whom that sort of development is especially attractive, but I find it obnoxious and ugly. And, yes, it is surrounded by shady neighborhoods that very, very few people in Stapleton likely ever venture into.

Is it the whole new urbanism concept that you like, or would traditional suburbia be equally acceptable to you? If you're open to newer developments with a decidedly more traditional feel and layout, Highlands Ranch, SE Aurora, and Roxborough would be better choices. If you're wedded to the idea of new urbanism, Stapleton is definitely the metro area's most concentrated example (and you'll have to live with the aforementioned downsides).

Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
Yep, it was 20 minutes for me from Bradburn to the Denver Performing Arts Center just this last Sunday, but there was NO traffic at all which is usually not the case. With even moderate traffic it is25-30 and in rush hour, an easy 40-45. If I wanted to be downtown all the time, I wouldn't live here personally (although you can take the express bus from close park n ride which gets there in about 30 minutes which is pretty good I think).

Anthem in Broomfield is a nice development, it has really awesome views. I know a few folks who have bought up there and really like it. Anthem is not however, new urbanist. Being mixed-use (homes, offices, retail) is a defining feature of new urbanism as is walkability. You cannot walk to any restaurants, offices, or services from Anthem. Every trip will require the car (except to their awesome community center perhaps).

Anthem does have some space for future commercial use, but it is set far from most houses. If you can't walk to a place of business (of some type) from most houses in the development in 5-15 minutes, it's not a new urbanist neighborhood. Stapleton currently does not fit this criteria in some areas, but they will as they build their neighborhood town centers.
It is true that Anthem doesn't have any walkable shopping, but it does have parks, a rec center, and all sorts of clubs and activities.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,903,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Is it the whole new urbanism concept that you like, or would traditional suburbia be equally acceptable to you? If you're open to newer developments with a decidedly more traditional feel and layout, Highlands Ranch, SE Aurora, and Roxborough would be better choices.
I find it interesting that you have defined the suburbs as having a "more traditional feel and layout," even though suburbia is barely 50 years old. I would think that new urbanism, with its concepts of walkability, mixed use commercial and residential, and mixed housing types based on urban concepts that are more than 100 years old would be the "traditional" neighborhood.

Anyway, I am not usually one to throw out unsolicited advice, but maybe you should think about finding a place that has more ranch-style houses. For my parents, in-laws, aunts and uncles and other people who have retired this is a major consideration because they don't want to move again if and when their health prevents them from climbing stairs on a regular basis. For your husband with asthma, that day might come sooner than you think.

For what it's worth, the neighborhoods surrounding Stapleton aren't that bad, and Stapleton is acting as a major gentrifying force in those neighborhood. Plus Stapleton will soon have commuter rail access, something the other new urbanist areas won't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver