U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 AM

60 posts, read 14,979 times
I have spent significant amounts of time in both cities and I can tell you that while I love Kansas City, it's no Denver.

It has no ethnic food scene to speak of and the biggest difference is that the city of Denver doesnt have abject poverty inside of it. Once you cross Troost you know for sure that you are in a different hood, literally. There is no segregated demarcation line in Denver whereupon you know you are in for some **** at night - whereas in Kansas crossing over the Paseo and then Troost you know you are in for something - and its usually not good.

Yes KC has a better BBQ scene than Denver, but KC is not a major metropolitan city like Denver is. Their downtown closes early, and people just flat out do NOT live downtown. The P&L district may be changing that somewhat, but the majority of downtown is dead after 5pm, VERY similar to what Denver was like in the 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,318,549 times
I just want to add that I like Kansas City, but I just don't think I could live there again. It reminds me far too much of Phoenix as far as it's culture goes (although with less Mexican or Native American influence.) I hope it improves in the next several years as much of my family lives in the KC area, but I as it stands, I wouldn't trade Denver for any other city in the country. Faults and all.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:12 PM

17,190 posts, read 23,775,334 times
I spent two weeks in KC in the summer of 1991, and enjoyed it. I stayed in an old garment factory turned into a loft-style hotel, it was superbly done. It was across the street from a bar/club that had some jazz in the evenings, another club down the street with jazz and blues, plus a few blocks further along there was a Folger's coffee plant that always had a great aroma of roasting coffee. I walked all over town on the weekend I was there, went up in the tower of City Hall and enjoyed my two weeks there just fine. We made it a point to visit the legendary BBQ joint run by Arthur Bryant and a few others.

When we went back in 2006, we ate at Bryant's and KC Masterpiece and found it excellent too, but IIRC on that trip to KC in 2006, the hotel was torn down for some reason and Folger's may no longer be roasting coffee there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-05-2011 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 02:32 PM

705 posts, read 738,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Quite a pssng match we have here. Having spent a lot of time in KC and living in Denver, I'd say they are more alike than they are different, compared to other US cities. They do have plenty of differences, and I favor Denver overall, but some of the posts here are a bit overboard. KottkeKU probably had the most accurate post that I read.

By the way, since when did it become desirable to live in as liberal a city as possible? Free stuff for everyone, the government is responsible for my shortcomings, hope, change, rah, rah, rah.
You just made my entire point in approximately 1/10 of the space that I used. If Denver was half the glamazon that some people pretend it to be, I wouldn't live here.

Thank you.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,318,549 times
I think most people just find a lot more that they like about Denver than they dislike. I don't hear that many people suggesting Denver is some super cultural mecca of the world. It does have it's own unique culture, though, and it's own unique benefits. They aren't always immediately apparent, but the more time spent here, the more apparent it becomes. I've stated many times that it's a place where conservative ideas and progressive ambitions seem to meet with quite a bit of civility. Guns and art, church and taxes, free enterprise and social work are not mutually exclusive here in the way that many other cities seem to want them to be. I don't find most of the posts to be particularly overboard at all except when they suggest that Denver is just like cities a, b, c, d, e, f and g in our country. Denver has it's own quiet, clever charm. It's a bit of a quirky place.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM

6,537 posts, read 3,935,694 times
I liked Zenkonami's description of Denver. It really is a unique place where people of all persuasions seem to coexist nicely. I'm currently in the military and go where the orders say to go. I've been fortunate enough to be stationed in San Diego, Monterey, and soon, near Washington D.C. These are great locations to live and enjoy, but when my time with the Marines is up, I'm going to have the bags packed and will be moving back to Denver.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 AM

10,823 posts, read 12,181,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I stopped in at Brothers on 6th Ave. a few days back.. which leads me to a rather vexing question. How many BBQ joints in KC are selling alot of tofu? BBQ tofu... that's just freaking wrong.
Brothers BBQ is Denver's Best BBQ Restaurant. Award-winning barbeque dining and catering in Denver, Colorado.

Anyway good luck selling the whole KC is similar to Denver thing....LOL
lol! I'd try BBQ tofu, but in KC, it wouldn't fly. People tend to like their meat in KC.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Quite a pssng match we have here. Having spent a lot of time in KC and living in Denver, I'd say they are more alike than they are different, compared to other US cities. They do have plenty of differences, and I favor Denver overall, but some of the posts here are a bit overboard. KottkeKU probably had the most accurate post that I read.

By the way, since when did it become desirable to live in as liberal a city as possible? Free stuff for everyone, the government is responsible for my shortcomings, hope, change, rah, rah, rah.
Hmmm... as a liberal, I prefer living in a liberal city. After spending a decade on conservative Orange County, Denver has been a breath of fresh, liberal air.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I don't think anyone can deny (whether in KC or here) that Denver is simply a larger, more urban, higher profile national city than KC. Denver is probably more directly comparable with Minneapolis / St Paul in the Midwest than KC, or any other city in the Midwest other than Chicago (which obviously is in whole other category -- we'll leave dying cities like Detroit out of the comparison). It's not really an insult to KC to say that it's simply not a peer city of Denver.

That said, I was actually surprised at what KC DOES have to offer after visiting there. It's definitely not a dead or dying city. It does have a very impressive skyline for the profile of the city (less boxy than Denver's certainly), and some really interesting historic architecture and neighborhoods. I think most people's impression of KC is that it's bland, sprawled-out, etc -- and though it is sprawled out, once you get into the city proper there IS quite a bit there.
The Plaza is definitely unique (and surrounding neighborhoods) and offers a unique, urban vibe. I suppose Cherry Creek is Denver's Plaza, but other than comparing the shopping experience, The Plaza is by far superior. Midtown and the Westport area is pretty nice too, if you want to live in an urban environment.. plus it's cheaper than say Uptown (in Denver) if you're looking to buy or rent. People who've never been to KC are shocked when the see The Plaza!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

2,370 posts, read 3,005,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! I'd try BBQ tofu, but in KC, it wouldn't fly. People tend to like their meat in KC.
I have stayed on a complete vegetarian diet several different times, but have always hated (TOFU). My ex used to grill tofu quite a bit..I don't know what smells worse IMO; tofu on the grill or burning tires. Ya, but that was my point, BBQ tofu would not fly in KC. Today grilling means burgers and steaks..no longer am I living in those dark days of tofu and Boca burgers.

To your other post above..I have heard about the Plaza from several different people, and that it is very upscale. Makes sense as KC has one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the nation. Another thing I like about KC that we don'thave here..kinda wierd and random..but I love seeing fire flys at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver