Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:19 AM

31 posts, read 55,368 times

Advertisements

DH is going to be in Denver next week for a final job interview with a strong potential for us moving there. We have 2 elementary school aged kids, one with some health concerns. From looking online, I really like the idea of the Highlands Ranch area, but don't know what other areas he should be looking at when he goes. We'd like to be not too far from a children's hospital..and within a 45 min. commute to airport.

Also, homes in the 350-450K range with about 4 bed/2 baths. Good schools are super important too.

If you had 2 days to figure out where to live, where would you go in Denver? We are coming from the NW.

THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 02:18 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Stapleton?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Try Centennial, Greenwood Village, and Southern Aurora.

The schools are excellent (Cherry Creek School District).

The Children's Hospital is a short drive up I-225.

The airport is a 25 minute drive away (45 minutes during rush hour)

Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM

305 posts, read 770,053 times
I second SE Aurora/Centennial, particularly the developments off of Parker, Orchard, Tower, and Smoky Hill Rds. We live there and it's a very family-oriented community. The Cherry Creek Schools are all outstanding, as is our neighborhood rec center, The Trails. Homes are nice, newer, and there are many in your price range. If you'd like to get a feel for the houses, you can search for subdivisions on www.recolorado.com. I recommend Piney Creek, Tuscany, Siena, Greenfield, and The Farm. All these areas are a quick drive to the Children's Hospital in Aurora as well as the Medical Center of Aurora. Best of luck with the interview! : )

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

115 posts, read 228,843 times
Where is work?

Quote:
The airport is a 25 minute drive away (45 minutes during rush hour)
Google maps says 34 minutes from greenwood village, 45 with traffic, and that is the shortest of the areas mentioned and I would say is being very optimistic.

Quote:
The Cherry Creek Schools are all outstanding
No they aren't. Anyway you are looking for good teachers at good schools which you can find anywhere in the metro area, but you have to invest your own time researching and talking, which is really what any parent should do in any situation regardless of what anyone or any statistic says. Also keep in mind when dealing with a realtor in this state, they are legally removed from voicing opinions about schools.

Again, where is work. The Denver metro is a large area. People love to recommend where they live, and of course that makes a lot of sense but every place listed above has some compromises and many great places have not yet been listed.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 AM

Actually, Blobbin, the CC schools in SE Aurora ARE all high-achieving (check the scores and ratings on www.greatschools.net). My kids go there and I can certainly express my opinion on the matter. We have been very happy with the quality of education they have received.

For most people with kids considering a move, school quality is a priority. As a real estate agent, I always recommend to my clients that they do their own research on individual schools in the neighborhoods they are considering, as well as pay them a visit and talk to some teachers and parents. That is the best way to help them decide for themselves.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I guess it's time for me to say again that I feel those school ratings are not telling the whole story. Test scores are directly related to parental socio-economic status. They don't tell you anything about how your child will do. They don't tell you anything about the quality of teaching; the kids from the affluent families will do well almost no matter what.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:04 AM

You're absolutely right, Katiana. As a former teacher, I have to agree that these ratings reflect much more than competent teachers and administrators. There are plenty of amazing, inspiring, and brilliant teachers in urban and inner-city schools which score poorly on educational rating reports. When people refer to "good schools," they usually mean that the vast majority of kids there:

feel safe and secure in their environment
are able to learn well because they come to school with a full belly
have a warm and quiet place at home to study
have parents who are involved with the school
have parents who believe in education and instill that value in their kids
have parents who have the time, motivation, and ability to help them with their homework
speak English as a first language (or at least a close second)
are not derailed by many other kids with behavioral issues
are encouraged by their parents to work hard and succeed
live in a community that shares and promotes these values

I could go on . . . ; )

Unfortunately, these qualities are typically found in more affluent areas--which is why schools in these neighborhoods will consistently score high on tests regardless of how competent (or incompetent) the teachers are. A child's home and community environment are just as important in determining academic success as the school the child attends.

Sorry for the long post--I've written too many papers on this subject in college. In short, I guess when most people say they are looking for a "good school," I think what they are really looking for is a community with the attributes that tend to result in high student achievement.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
As a former teacher, your insight is invaluable. I agree with your post. I just think there are such schools in virtually all districts in CO, not just CC.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:09 PM

115 posts, read 228,843 times
Off topic but,
Quote:
I have to agree that these ratings reflect much more than competent teachers and administrators.
You can be certain there are plenty of incompetent and lazy teachers and administrators in any district and in every school. There are in any other profession, why should education be any different.

A couple of teachers and myself were recently discussing something along these lines. They are both working at a Gates foundation sponsored school and made some interesting remarks about educators they know who have taken "early retirement" as they call it and moved to easier schools in the county.

When food is not a first priority and when parents are around and involved educating becomes easier. Lesson plans can remain the same from year to year and as a byproduct you can assume generally higher scores on standarized tests without having to really teach. These scores furter reinforce the incorrect notion that somehow the education is "better" when in reality the teachers are at this point often just phoning it in, coasting until retirement.

High achieving, outstanding, whatever you want to call it your kid can get a ****ty education in any district and choosing a school based on biased statistics that rank an entire district is a lazy and incorrect approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver