Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am from Minnesota, and I am not very pleasant about the winter in Minnesota. It's too cold for me. I had no choice before, but now I am done with school, and my parents said I can choose anywhere to live. I was thinking about Colorado, but since I never been there, I don't know how's living situation and expensive in Colorado especially I don't have any friends or relatives live there. How are dental hygiene jobs there? Is it easier to find?

Thank you all!
Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylam510 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am from Minnesota, and I am not very pleasant about the winter in Minnesota. It's too cold for me. I had no choice before, but now I am done with school, and my parents said I can choose anywhere to live. I was thinking about Colorado, but since I never been there, I don't know how's living situation and expensive in Colorado especially I don't have any friends or relatives live there. How are dental hygiene jobs there? Is it easier to find?

Thank you all!
Jenny
Probably as good of a job picture as anywhere for your work; the metro area is 3M people and growing a bit. Cost of living in/around Denver may be a bit higher, but you'll have to compare it to your area to be sure. IMO, you cannot go wrong here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Let's visit the concern about "too cold for me" ...

What is your threshold of "too cold"?

My wife grew up in north central WI and in her opinion, the Denver metro area is as cold or colder than that area. Consider that Denver is at a much higher elevation, and the winters are lengthy. It's not uncommon to see serious fronts (some with snow) move in around mid-to-late October, and see cold fronts and snowstorms through April. Feb and March are the snowiest months .... while Dec and January tend to have the lower temperatures, especially overnight with the shorter days. You are looking at the potential of a 6 month "winter" type climate some years .... other posters on these threads report serious cold fronts with freezing temps as early as September and as late as May, for an even longer potential "winter" clime zone.

If living in this snowy climate of cold temps is enough of a change for you from the MN climate that you now live in, then Denver may work for you. But if you're seeking a warmer climate or area of a shorter milder winter duration ... you need to look at places outside of the Rocky Mountains and the high elevations here. Further South ... either East or West ... will be your best bet.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-28-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 PM

164 posts, read 596,191 times
I also am from Minnesota and moved here to avoid another truly bone-chilling winter, yet ended up staying for a while. Even knowing nobody, you should be OK--people are more outgoing and easy to get to know. And, you will meet many many people who are not from here. This is a great talking point and makes for easy conversation.

Weatherwise, if you can handle MN then Denver and most of Colorado is a piece of cake. The temps will resemble those of the Twin Cities for maybe a day or three then will jump up to 40 plus for 10 days, and there will be lots of sun to keep things cheery. The snowfall isn't even close, but the small amount that does fall means treacherous driving since the city STILL can't figure how to plow effectively. Again, it just melts 2 days later anyways. As I write this it's 55 degrees with no snow. The weather won't be a problem for you and you'll be amazed at all your past suffering. The dry air does affect some people strangely, but you'll get used to it I'm sure.

For rentals, I think the prices are a bit less here. But not by much.

For Jobs, I don't know about dental hygienist work, but there is alot of work to be had if you are willing to work. The Denver metro are seems to be a bit transient compared to Mpls/Stp so there are a good amount of people leaving jobs and apartments, yet there are always folks moving to Colorado (so much so that you'll see bumper stickers with a CO license plate that reads "Native").

Good Luck with your move, and Go Vikings!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM

138 posts, read 600,230 times
If you decide to move out this way, check with Periodontal Associates, Dr. Heller teaches at University of Colorado School of Dentistry and can point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver