Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybelle View Post
So, based on your feedback, if you could move to another area of Denver, where would you go? Louisville?
Louisville is a great place to live; I've lived there almost 30 years. However, I am very glad we lived in the city of Denver itself for two years to get a feel for the whole metro area. Louisville is ~25 miles from downtown; you need to find a place to live close to your job. If you have no job when you come here, I'd suggest somewhere central, either in Denver or a close-in suburb, so you're close to whatever jobs you find. Then you can move somewhere else when you get settled and oriented.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-01-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 AM

143 posts, read 275,446 times
Capitol Hill: Urban, gay, close to downtown.
LoDo: Hip, urban, gay, chic, practically downtown.
Highlands: Transitioning to hip, trendy, etc., but still old homes with yards. Still close to downtown.
Park Hill: Liberal, pleasant tree lined neighborhood. Lots of nice older homes with decent yards.
Cherry Creek proper (not to be confused with Cherry Hills etc.): Crowded, upscale shopping, overpriced.
Five Points: Gentrification in progress. Still some crime. Fantastic old houses practically downtown.
Broadway Terrace: Also gay, urban, etc. A bit noisy and well, urban.
Bonnie Brae: Quiet, well established trees, family oriented neighborhood, not as Democratic as Park Hill.
Wheat Ridge: Very nice for a suburb. Rural feeling, still pretty close to downtown.
Arvada: A bit further out than Wheat Ridge, newer and more suburban.
Boulder: A world unto itself.
Aurora: Ultra-suburb, big cheap houses and very boring.
Centennial: Like Aurora but even bigger houses and further out.
Littleton: Pleasant, on the line between small town and suburb, older homes, etc.
Montbello, Green Valley Ranch and the like. Horrible older ultra-suburbs way out near airport. You can get a huge house cheap, if you can stand to live there.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Arvada-Colorado.html
Incorporated on 8/24/1904

Wheat Ridge, Colorado Information /Welcome
The City of Wheat Ridge, Colorado is a community of 30,000 people in Jefferson County, just west of Denver. The city is served by Interstate highway I-70, as it curves toward the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Primarily a residential city, Wheat Ridge also has five retail centers, several unique small industries, an Enterprise Zone and more than 20 parks, equestrian trails and open space public land. Incorporated as a city in 1970, its pioneer history stretches back to the early farmers and miners of the 1840's.

Both have a long history as farming communities. Arvada is much larger, and north of Wheat Ridge.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 PM

56 posts, read 114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
Highlands: Transitioning to hip, trendy, etc., but still old homes with yards. Still close to downtown.
Park Hill: Liberal, pleasant tree lined neighborhood. Lots of nice older homes with decent yards.
Cherry Creek proper (not to be confused with Cherry Hills etc.): Crowded, upscale shopping, overpriced.
Five Points: Gentrification in progress. Still some crime. Fantastic old houses practically downtown.
Bonnie Brae: Quiet, well established trees, family oriented neighborhood, not as Democratic as Park Hill.
Wheat Ridge: Very nice for a suburb. Rural feeling, still pretty close to downtown.
Littleton: Pleasant, on the line between small town and suburb, older homes, etc.
Montbello, Green Valley Ranch and the like. Horrible older ultra-suburbs way out near airport. You can get a huge house cheap, if you can stand to live there.
Fantastic!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:50 AM

11 posts, read 204,213 times
Quote:
Fantastic!
any opinions on Golden?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I won't bother to explain. I'm sure you'll be fine if you move there.
I'm dying for you to explain. In multiple paragraphs if possible.

Is it the stigma attached to the name "Aurora"?
Is it the sprawl?
Is it the not-so-expensive housing?
Is it because it's on the east side of town?
Is it because it's boring?
Is it because of crime (which is generally associated with the north side of town)?
Is it because it's not wholly upper-middle class?
Is it the demographics?

I just don't get why you recommend staying completely out of Aurora. I know it's no GV or Castle Pines, but most of it is a fairly fine/simple place to live.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
That's a fairly accurate break down
But I wouldn't say LoDo was gay. I know Denver has like the 3rd largest gay population in the country- so I guess it fits in a way- but LoDo always feels like drunken frat boy land.

So where will you go emilybelle?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM

56 posts, read 114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherD View Post
That's a fairly accurate break down
But I wouldn't say LoDo was gay. I know Denver has like the 3rd largest gay population in the country- so I guess it fits in a way- but LoDo always feels like drunken frat boy land.

So where will you go emilybelle?
Well, I guess we will be in drunken frat boy land next weekend when we visit! We are staying in LoDo . Coming to see the area, and have some fun to help make our decision.

It's hard to narrow it down from here, but so far, we like Castle Rock, Parker, Centenial, Lakewood, Greenwood Village and ...oh several more! Denver is beautiful, I don't know how we'll ever decide. Wish I could find a house in Bow Mar to see. Can't wait to visit your city!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm dying for you to explain. In multiple paragraphs if possible.

Is it the stigma attached to the name "Aurora"?
Is it the sprawl?
Is it the not-so-expensive housing?
Is it because it's on the east side of town?
Is it because it's boring?
Is it because of crime (which is generally associated with the north side of town)?
Is it because it's not wholly upper-middle class?
Is it the demographics?

I just don't get why you recommend staying completely out of Aurora. I know it's no GV or Castle Pines, but most of it is a fairly fine/simple place to live.
Personally I don't like Aurora's politics, plan for growth (or so called "plan") or their inability to improve specific areas of their city. Their solution is to keep growing out, and eventually that infrastructure cost is going to catch up to all Aurora residents (both new construction and maintenance.) I consider it boring. They have great views of the Rockies, though.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Wish I could find a house in Bow Mar to see. Can't wait to visit your city!
Bow Mar is awesome. If I lived closer and could afford it, I would buy there yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Personally I don't like Aurora's politics, plan for growth (or so called "plan") or their inability to improve specific areas of their city. Their solution is to keep growing out, and eventually that infrastructure cost is going to catch up to all Aurora residents (both new construction and maintenance.) I consider it boring. They have great views of the Rockies, though.
I can't say I disagree. Even so, I'd have a hard time telling somebody (or myself) to stay completely out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver