Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times

Advertisements

I don't suppose anyone would think a very postmodern right angled cut out type of thing like lots of the denver buildings, but taller would be justified as a new tallest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't really care one way or another, I just hope that if and when it happens that the building is visually pleasing. Trango Tower would have been a complete eye sore and not fit well with the current building in Denver's skyline. It doesn't make any sense to be able to say, "Oh, I skyline is so tall..." if it's also butt-ugly!

OP, you should check out that building going up in Oklahoma City. Devon Tower, I believe. It's actually taller than anything in Denver and this is in a city whose skyline is currently about 1/5 the size of Denver's. It's a nice looking tower though.
That building would have been a better fit for Denver - it would be the tallest, but it wouldn't tower over the skyline.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Yeah, it really would have been a great fit, but I guess Oklahoma City has the interest and the economy and Denver doesn't.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I'm not sure what's happening. Skyscraperpage still lists 2 Tabor as proposed.
I think it's still a possibility, and probably the most likely next building of significant height to be built in Denver. They're probably just waiting for the market to improve. They recently broke ground on the DaVita HQ over next to the bridge that goes over the 25. I think that's 15 or 18 stories. Nothing huge, but it will make an impact in that area.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Well as I say, it's still proposed, and I agree, this will probably get off the drawing board before another one gets on.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That building would have been a better fit for Denver - it would be the tallest, but it wouldn't tower over the skyline.
I suppose it's all about where the company wished to locate its headquarters. My guess is that which skyline would look better with the new tower was probably not a factor in their decision.

2 Tabor would be a pretty good addition if they ever get that project going. It wouldn't be a new tallest, but a good addition nonetheless.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:38 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
I think they should build a mile high tower in Denver, so you could have an observation deck at exactly two miles above sea level.

I am of course kidding, please don't flame me.

I wouldn't mind a few more skyscrapers in Denver around the same height as the existing ones, maybe a new tallest, but only slightly taller. Maybe some buildings with a little more detail to them, keep with the modern them, but add some contours.

And while I am vacationing in fantasy land I would like a billion dollars, an anti-aging serum, and a private moon base/mansion.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Maybe some buildings with a little more detail to them, keep with the modern them, but add some contours.

OK, modern theme, cool, but what do you mean by contours? I know what contours are in a geographical sense, before you explain that, I'm just not clear what you mean, I would say the buildings of Denver are fairly well contoured. Do you mean setbacks?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
OK, modern theme, cool, but what do you mean by contours? I know what contours are in a geographical sense, before you explain that, I'm just not clear what you mean, I would say the buildings of Denver are fairly well contoured. Do you mean setbacks?
The tallest buildings are all pretty plain and rectangular, 1801 California is a little more interesting, but looks like a plain rectangle from a distance. Wells Fargo is a rectangle with a cool, but mild crown.

I wouldn't mind seeing more buildings like 1999 Broadway, and some buildings with more dramatic/iconic crowns.

1999 Broadway:

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 AM

I really quite like 1999 broadway, but I have a thing for right angles. Something like a modern ESB, but shorter would rock my world. I'm always surprised 1999 was able to be built. Being right that close to the church, it's gotta cast quite a shadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver