Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Let's put it this way...

Oklahoma City has a building under construction that will beat Denver's tallest by more than 100 feet.

I love my old home and all, but let's not let freaking OKLAHOMA beat us in the skyscraper category.
Yes, but does it resemble Republic Plaza? Cuz if so, I don't want it. Give me something with some character...some style...maybe even some functional style...whether it's modern, art deco, some kind of revival, urban MCM, victorian...SOMETHING that's not just towers of concrete and glass. Throw a nice plaza in the mix and keep it active. Pedestrian access, premium ground floor space, mixed use...

Height? If we're going to compare our city's skyline against others by height then we're measuring the wrong thing about what makes Denver so great. It's the CHARACTER of our city, its culture, its history and its opportunity that make it so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,927 times
To those arguing about the unlikeliness of getting a new tallest (or new building in general) let me just say I don't think it matters. The purpose of the thread is far more one of dreaming and wishing, and there's nothing wrong with having healthy discussions about what we'd LIKE our city to be. In fact, I think it's important to encourage that kind of creativity and discussion because that really drives what we will become.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Yes, but does it resemble Republic Plaza? Cuz if so, I don't want it. Give me something with some character...some style...maybe even some functional style...whether it's modern, art deco, some kind of revival, urban MCM, victorian...SOMETHING that's not just towers of concrete and glass. Throw a nice plaza in the mix and keep it active. Pedestrian access, premium ground floor space, mixed use...

Height? If we're going to compare our city's skyline against others by height then we're measuring the wrong thing about what makes Denver so great. It's the CHARACTER of our city, its culture, its history and its opportunity that make it so great.

I wouldn't say Devon Tower resembles Republic Plaza much at all. They are both largely glass towers, but other than that, there's just no comparison. I don't see what's wrong with concrete and glass, and aside from steel, and maybe stone cladding, you haven't got much else. As long as the form is different and has a certain uniqueness, that's good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
To those arguing about the unlikeliness of getting a new tallest (or new building in general) let me just say I don't think it matters. The purpose of the thread is far more one of dreaming and wishing, and there's nothing wrong with having healthy discussions about what we'd LIKE our city to be. In fact, I think it's important to encourage that kind of creativity and discussion because that really drives what we will become.
That's exactly right. I wouldn't say I don't care if it happens or not, because it is untrue, but as you say, this thread isn't about whether it could, but whether we'd like it to.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Let's put it this way...

Oklahoma City has a building under construction that will beat Denver's tallest by more than 100 feet.

I love my old home and all, but let's not let freaking OKLAHOMA beat us in the skyscraper category.
Well, it's not like it's a competition, "First one to 800 ft wins!" This is good for Oklahoma City and even though I have no direct ties to the city (my wife does, though) I am always glad when a city is able to take the next step forward and secure some sort of major project in any part of the city.

With all that said, I've passed through Oklahoma City many times, and I think Devon Tower is going to make that skyline look a little awkward. It isn't a very big skyline and to add something that tall I think will look weird. Hopefully the city continues to prosper and can add another tower in the near future to complement Devon Tower.

Meanwhile I would be happy to see Denver just get Tabor 2 built. I think that would be a great addition to the skyline and while it wouldn't be a new tallest, it would really enhance that part of the Denver skyline.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well, it's not like it's a competition, "First one to 800 ft wins!" This is good for Oklahoma City and even though I have no direct ties to the city (my wife does, though) I am always glad when a city is able to take the next step forward and secure some sort of major project in any part of the city.

With all that said, I've passed through Oklahoma City many times, and I think Devon Tower is going to make that skyline look a little awkward. It isn't a very big skyline and to add something that tall I think will look weird. Hopefully the city continues to prosper and can add another tower in the near future to complement Devon Tower.

Meanwhile I would be happy to see Denver just get Tabor 2 built. I think that would be a great addition to the skyline and while it wouldn't be a new tallest, it would really enhance that part of the Denver skyline.
Last time I was in downtown OKC (mid '90s), it was totally dead on a Saterday evening. I'll take Denver's liveliness downtown over a dead one with one nice, tall tower.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
As will I. In general I'd take Denver over Oklahoma City in a heartbeat anyways, but that goes for a lot of other places. Denver is a pretty under-rated city overall. Oklahoma City still has a small town feel to it in many ways, and there's nothing wrong with that. I actually like it, friendly people, inexpensive housing, etc... It's no Denver, though.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:11 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times
I've lived in both Oklahoma City and Denver. Both cities are actually pretty similar in a lot of ways while Denver is obviously much larger and older. They are both pretty flat and brown in the late summer and winter. The heat and humidity is much worse in Oklahoma. The economy has been a lot better recently in Oklahoma though, one of the main reasons I have been working in the state for the past few years. Oklahoma is nice and has one of the most varied landscapes of any state from west to east but I love the Rockies and miss being closer than a 10 hour drive to them.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
I've lived in both Oklahoma City and Denver. Both cities are actually pretty similar in a lot of ways while Denver is obviously much larger and older. They are both pretty flat and brown in the late summer and winter. The heat and humidity is much worse in Oklahoma. The economy has been a lot better recently in Oklahoma though, one of the main reasons I have been working in the state for the past few years. Oklahoma is nice and has one of the most varied landscapes of any state from west to east but I love the Rockies and miss being closer than a 10 hour drive to them.
Well, you do have the mighty Arbuckle Mountains to the south I'm pretty sure the political climate in OKC is much more conservative/Bible belt than Denver as well.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, you do have the mighty Arbuckle Mountains to the south I'm pretty sure the political climate in OKC is much more conservative/Bible belt than Denver as well.
Yes much more conservative. Oklahoma politically and culturally aligns with the South/Texas and not the West, even though it's in between the two.

And yes the Arbuckles are nice, and they are a big attraction because they are the closest "mountains" to Dallas/Fort Worth and Oklahoma City along with the Wichitas near Lawton. The Ozarks and Ouachitas in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas are much nicer and larger though. That is one great thing about Tulsa is that it's in the hills close to the Ozarks. It doesn't compare to the Rockies but I do like how forested and lush everything is in the spring.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
If anyone wants to steer this back on course, they can. However I'm quite liking this Denver vs Oklahoma City thing, so continue as you were. Just like to pop my head in every few posts because I'm a megalomaniac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver