U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM

10 posts, read 39,590 times
Default Moving to EngleWood Colorado

If things go right, I will be moving to Colorado and will be working in the are for DirecTV with their address as -

161 Inverness Drive West
Englewood, CO 80112-5003
I am going to move to EngleWood from new HampShire so it's going to be a real move for me and since I have never been to Colorado had some questions around it -
1. How is the township of EngleWood for quality of life, and do we have enough apartment complexes in the area.
2. How bad and long can be the winters. I am trying to know the average case as extremes can happen anywhere anytime. And what about other seasons.
3.What about the cost of living, and it's important for me to know as I will have to negotiate my salary accordingly.
4. And one of the most important one - Do we have enough hiking trails near by the city or in the area.
5. I belong to an Asian Indian background, was interested knowing if we have Asian Indian community in EngleWood - Denever area for the sake of occasional socializing.

I know it's quite big a list to answer, but would love to see as many of them getting answered.

Thanks,
Sharad
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM

439 posts, read 541,935 times
Englewood is one of the many suburbs of Denver. I suggest you move your inquiry to the Denver portion of this forum for more informed responses. You will have a choice to live pretty much anywhere in the Denver area. Only from the extreme north and east would the commute get to be excessive.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:23 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,253,640 times
Actually, where you are going to work is not Englewood; it just uses that postal address. Englewood is a small older suburbs of Denver--perhaps 12 miles from this address--It is centered on Broadway and Hampden. The area you are working is in Unincorporated Arapahoe County, very close to Centennial city boundary. It is a business park surrounded by newer areas than old Englewood.

There are apartments near this area and the nearest municipalities are Lone Tree, Centennial and Highlands Ranch with Lone Tree being the most expensive, exclusive--it is noted by the Park Meadows Mall. These cities would all be good areas for apartments and being close to work.

These cities can be categorized as sprawling newer subdivisions with the newest stores and chain restaurants. If you are looking for an city urban environment--living in this area is not the place, but the quality of life is considered excellent. There is a big presence of families but there are places where singles live and congregate, especially to the newer bars and restaurants. It is not noted for a wide diversity of ethnic groups--it is mostly white middle class to higher economic class. None of the closest area would be considered the cheapest places to live in the Denver area.

Trails, Parks and Open space are everywhere and abundant in the Denver area but in this immediate area, it would be mostly manicured paths and bikeways with less of the natural surroundings. Weather is much milder than New Hampshire.

Asians Indians are all over the area but I think the biggest area would be around Parker in Aurora if the Asian Stores and shops are indicative of their presence.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-29-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks guys for your quick posts. How was the winter there this year as I can tell it was extremely stormy here on east coast. Does Denever area has lot of vegetation in terms of high leafy trees and grasslands.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,253,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad.nisheeth View Post
Thanks guys for your quick posts. How was the winter there this year as I can tell it was extremely stormy here on east coast. Does Denever area has lot of vegetation in terms of high leafy trees and grasslands.
Denver sits on the high semi-arid high Great Plains. The natural surroudings is grassland with few trees, especially toward the area farther from the foothills. Most of the abundant trees you seel in Denver and the suburbs have planted over generations. The Foothills have more of a hilly topography with more natural trees along more abundant water resources.

The mountains are the Rocky Mountains which means more rocky outcrops with fewer trees and it lacks the lush undergrowth that you would see in the the eastern forests and mountains.

The winters are extremely mild with low humidity but with some winter storms. This winter, it has been milder and March is turning out to be one of the driest but normally is the snowiest month. The big difference from the east is the low humidity and much less precipitation than the Northeast. I know the difference as I grew up in New York.

Livecontent

Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM

Awesome, you answered all my questions, thanks a ton.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:37 PM

One more question, depending upon the cost of living there in Denever area, is 90-95 K+Medical Benefits Per Annum is a good salary to negotiate with?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 3,915,969 times
There are some upscale apartments you could walk to work from at AMLI Inverness, but they do come a little more expensive because they are also walking distance to the light rail station. At your salary I'm sure you could afford them, you'd be looking at 1200 or so for a decent sized 2 bedroom.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM

2,718 posts, read 4,368,515 times
OP, since you've never been to Colorado, I suggest that you spend time looking through the many, many posts on this forum that discuss the weather, the social climate, different neighborhoods, etc. Also, there have been many discussions about people moving here from the East Coast. I think you would benefit from their experiences. The vegetation in Denver is very different from what you are used to in New Hampshire.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM

Thank you All. I spoke to one of the Apartment Complex companies too AMLI at InverNess and Pinnacle on Creek and their prices are nice and looks like they are located well too compared to local shops and utilities.I have to come to Denver next week to finalize things, and so if anything else springs in my mind will ask then.
You guys are just too good and helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver