U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM

25 posts, read 114,700 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We have been thinking about moving to Broomfield for a long time, and have fallen in love with the city. We are particularly interested in the Anthem neighborhood off Lowell. Obviously it's a huge master planned community, with all the positives (lots of families, activities, big community center/pool complex) and negatives (HOAs, higher taxes) of such a large planned community. We were just wondering if anyone who lives there or knows someone who does can give us some insight as to what it's like to live there? We especially love the open feel of the tract, with all the amazing views. To us, it epitomizes why we want to move to Colorado. In addition, since it's so close to Erie, sometimes we find ourselves looking at houses in the Vista Ridge neighborhood. The prices there are pretty reasonable compared to some in Anthem. So, does anyone have an opinion about Erie they'd like to share? We have a 10 yr old and 13 yr old, so schools are important. My husband will work primarily at home at an existing job, with weekly trips into the office in Boulder.
Thanks for the information!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,847 times
I look forward to any responses you'll receive. We are moving to the area in July with a 13 and 11 year old. Thanks for asking the question!!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

25 posts, read 114,700 times
Have you been looking in both areas also - or just one? Have you been out there to check it out in person? We have, several times - but not since late 2009. Just extensive real estate research online since then. Been waiting for a transfer.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,921,084 times
Hi. We live (are selling our home) in a development a few miles from Anthem, south, in northern Broomfield, and have friends who live in Anthem.

Bottom line:
Great views but you can get them in Wildgrass and Vista Ridge for a lot less once you figure in the crazy-expensive HOA for Anthem. Yes, beautiful private Anthem rec center but you pay through the nose for it whether you use it or not. There are cheaper HOA options, basically everywhere else, or you can choose a community close to Paul Derda (arguably the best public rec center in the north metro area) and pay considerably less.

Anthem is fairly rigid for HOA and when building... someone who looked at our home also looked in Anthem and was considering buying a spec home that hadn't even had its foundation dug yet and they wouldn't let them change the color of the house even though it didn't exist yet, thus, they passed.

Certainly dependent on where your home is located but our Anthem friends have a big mosquito problem because of their proximity to the greenbelt and water. They keep spraying but to no avail.

The school thing is pretty subjective....

Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,230,699 times
I have lived in Erie since 2005 and absolutely adore it. I don't know much about Anthem, but if you end up there, PLEASE be aware of coyotes. They are found throughout the Front Range, but there have been numerous encounters with people in the Erie/Broomfield areas and, specifically, the Anthem development. It should not dissuade you from relocating there if you so choose, but it is wise to be cognizant of their presence along open space trails. We hear them nightly, but only see them occasionally.

Vista Ridge is a massive development with homes by dozens of builders available. Prices range between $300,000 and $1,000,000+. You have many options. A world-class golf course, pools, an elementary school, community center and pocket parks are all part of the deal. I am not familiar with HOA dues.

There is a new community sprouting up now adjacent to the community center, library and ball fields at Erie Commons. Prices start from the upper $200s. I don't recall who the builder is - maybe Standard Pacific? Beautiful area and readily accessible by foot to the aforementioned facilities. Bike paths meander through the entire area (all the way to Boulder if you're so inclined). Several small eateries are also nearby.

Two other communities in Erie currently undergoing relatively rapid expansion include Canyon Creek by Richmond American (starting from the $200s) and Cottonwood Vista by Remington Homes (semi-custom from the $500s).

I live in the Creekside subdivision just before you get into Old Town Erie on County Line Rd and our HOA dues are $73 per month. It includes trash, snow removal (hahahahahaha!!!) and maintenance of the common areas. I would think other HOAs in the area are comparable, but I don't know anyone who lives in the communities mentioned.

A brand new elementary school opened for classes this year immediately adjacent to Creekside (Red Hawk Elementary). It's an all-green school and is visually stunning. Because of the small"ish" communities immediately around the school, I've not noticed the kids (or resultant noise) to be an issue at all. Your kids are out of elementary, so they would likely go to the existing middle school in Old Town. Your kids will be enrolled in either Boulder Valley or St. Vrain Valley School Districts - the latter being more likely. Both are excellent and among the highest rated in the state.

Whichever you choose, Erie or Broomfield, you're sure to love the area. It all lies in the middle of everything - Ft. Collins to the north, Denver to the south, Boulder to the west and DIA to the east (via E-470). If your husband has to go to Boulder occasionally for work, that won't be a problem. I'd take it over my downtown Denver commute ANY DAY!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Your kids will love Erie, OP. It's full of kids their ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or