Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 85,923 times

Advertisements

I'm narrowing down the neighborhoods/towns to move in....

What's everyone's take on Arvada?

I'm looking for good schools, safe, parks...scenic wise how is it? Does it have lots of stores, supermarket, etc, hospital,close by?

Also, while I have you here, how about Parker?

thnx !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM

47 posts, read 182,252 times
Arvada is a pretty big suburb. You have the rich area in the west (Westwoods.) Then you have some crappy parts towards the center and east of town. Still not too bad though. I grew up in what I refer to as one of the worse areas of Arvada and it still isn't bad.

There are several big high schools in Arvada. Arvada, Arvada West, Pomona and Ralston Valley. I'd say that Ralston Valley and Arvada West are the better of the 4.

The Ralston Creek trail is pretty nice. Lots of parks all around the ralston creek. Supermarkets are everywhere. Closest hospital is probably Lutheran in Wheat Ridge.

I live in the suburb that borders Arvada to the north at the moment but I'm buying a home in Arvada in the fall.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dply View Post
Arvada is a pretty big suburb. You have the rich area in the west (Westwoods.) Then you have some crappy parts towards the center and east of town. Still not too bad though. I grew up in what I refer to as one of the worse areas of Arvada and it still isn't bad.

There are several big high schools in Arvada. Arvada, Arvada West, Pomona and Ralston Valley. I'd say that Ralston Valley and Arvada West are the better of the 4.

The Ralston Creek trail is pretty nice. Lots of parks all around the ralston creek. Supermarkets are everywhere. Closest hospital is probably Lutheran in Wheat Ridge.

I live in the suburb that borders Arvada to the north at the moment but I'm buying a home in Arvada in the fall.
I sorta like the 'crappy parts" of Arvada, as you say. At least you minimized your statements by admitting that it is not all that bad. The area in the older of Arvada are really great areas with older homes that are well maintained, nice parks and characteristics of a nice little authentic village--like "Old Town". There are many developments happening all over the area to simulate an urban environment with walkable streets with mixed housing with acessible stores and yet, Arvada has the real thing.

What you fail to see, as a native, is the view that I have as a transplant from New York. I have been in Colorado for over 32 years and over about 30 years in Arvada. To me, I was astounded by the amount of parks, recreational facilities and the nice mixture of old and new in Arvada.

The Ralston Valley to me was one of the most overlooked part of the metro area for new people transplant. The people, who knew about it were mostly natives and I wanted to live among the natives and long term residents in established neighborhoods. I wanted to blend in more in the area with these people instead of other transplants in the newer areas that lacked the characteristics of the Western Suburbs. I did not want to isolate myself in new developments with other people from New York and California--I wanted to learn more about the area from the people who knew; I wanted to know real Colorado. Today, after so many decades, Arvada, Wheat Ridge; older Parts of Lakewood, Westminster and North Denver all come together to be my comfortable and familiar home and perhaps I can "pretend" that I am a native.

Arvada is a city that has a good mixture of old and new; farms, equestrian facilities and developments and good water resources. In addition, it has excellent close access the Denver and the great new redevelopment of North Denver and Downtown.

I first move to the West Side, past Ward Road, off of West 72nd. I thought so highly of the area that when, we moved our parents to this area from New York, the built a home off of Indiana, about 25 years ago. Today, I live in the older eastern area better because it has better public transit which I need, as I am disabled. It is much easier to get around with closer stores and soon a rail station near my house. To me all of Arvada, offers great areas to live and many options for different choices.

I have seen Arvada change, grow and yet maintain some of the same quiet and relaxing environment. It has much less traffic than other suburbs as it has no highway going through the city. It is on the edge of the metro area butting up against big expanses of open space and preserved lands along the foothills and consequenly it is not a city where you see much cross traffic. It is not a city that has big attractions for people for other areas. It has no big shopping areas; It does not the first the attract the newest chain store and restaurants. However, it has good variety of good basic stores, groceries and much more home grown restaurants and shops. Some would call it boring--I call it peace. It is place to call home and return from the amusements of the rest of the area. Yet, it very close to other areas that host these exciting and crowded shopping and amusement areas.

I use to work Downtown and in the Southern Suburbs; it was such a relief to return home to Arvada and enjoy the local amenities. I would go to a local restaurant; walk along the many trails; see a show at the Arvada Center; catch a game at the local ballparks; enjoy a drink at a local pub which has been around for years--not a chain and not a place where there is wild young crowd but locals with their families. Yes, Arvada is much about families, good churches, good schools and good people.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-30-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM

25 posts, read 72,138 times
Arvada is perfectly pleasant as suburbs go. It's an older suburb, so it has a little higher quality of housing stock (i.e. houses built in the 1960s and 70s) and mature trees. Parts of Wheat Ridge (e.g. the parts south and east of I-70) are also worth checking out for these very same qualities.

Parker? Blecchhh!!! What an awful place. It's more of a freeway strip than anything resembling a town. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it really is the epitome of the worst suburban sprawl. Crappy vinyl 'n' chipboard McMansions, six-lane highways with endless big-box garbage on both sides. A failed experiment in low-density development and extreme car dependence. There are maybe six trees in the entire area. Unlike most of metro Denver, it relies on an aquifer for its water supply, which, due to the relentless sprawl development, will be overwhelmed beyond its ability to recharge and replenish itself within the next 20 years or so. Their solution? Keep building houses and golf courses and freeways and more houses!

I suppose there are people for whom this is an appealing scenario, but as you can tell, I'm not one of them.

On the plus side, they do have good schools down there.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM

245 posts, read 708,280 times
Which is the school district for Arvada area ? Jeff Co or Adams50 or DPS ? Very hard to make out from the map I am looking at here ..

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceShopper View Post
Which is the school district for Arvada area ? Jeff Co or Adams50 or DPS ? Very hard to make out from the map I am looking at here ..
The School system is mostly Jefferson County. There is very small part of Arvada, just east of Sheridan, near West 64th, that is in Adams County and under Adams County 50 school system.

Livecontent

Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Arvada is considered a suburbs of Denver but it did not grow out of Denver--It developed as a separate agricultural community with its own city center. Even today, Arvada and Denver do not share a boundary--it is getting closer at about 58th and Sheridan but not yet.

The Best way to get familiar with Arvada is the excellent city website City and Community of Arvada: Welcome to the City and Community of Arvada

You will be impressed when you look at the trails that go through the city City and Community of Arvada: Trails, Watch the Video on this page; and map of the trails:

http://maps.arvada.org/opendata/pdf/Trail_Map.pdf

In addition Arvada has an extensive Park system:
http://maps.arvada.org/opendata/pdf/...Open_Space.pdf

Livecontent

Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM

22 posts, read 85,923 times
thnx everyone for input....very, very helpful

LiveContent, I checked out pics, videos of Arvada on YouTube of the neighborhoods and it looks GREAT....I love how many parks, lakes and trails it has...plus the "old town" section. Ralston is the best high school, and since schools for me are top priority, I'd have to find housing in that area (or it doesn't matter in Colorado? you can just go on a waiting list if need be?). Our budget for housing is no more than $250,000 definitly....but we prefer no more than $225,000. Westwoods is a good elementary school there also. So, I wonder if there are homes for that amount in that area????

I want to be as close to Denver as possible s othat's why I think Arvada is a nice fit, plus it has a lot of parks, etc., which I like. But I think I should also look into South of Denver. Maybe I should do a seperate post? What towns are the safest + great schools and are close to downtown, that are South of Denver and within our budget? I understand the walkability nature of some towns may be well, not a lot, but if Downtown Denver is close by, that's fine for me.

So, far west, I like Arvada the best......now south..........

thnx again

Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM

245 posts, read 708,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misstheseasons View Post
So, far west, I like Arvada the best......now south..........
We have it narrowed down to :
NorthWestern : Louisville/Superior (BVSD)
West : Arvada (JeffCo SD)
South : Littleton (Littleton SD)

Our choices are based more on public school system, family-friendly communities rather than home prices etc.

Livecontent: Can you provide some feedback about Arvada schools ? especially elementary ones ? Or send me a DM with your thoughts.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceShopper View Post
We have it narrowed down to :
NorthWestern : Louisville/Superior (BVSD)
West : Arvada (JeffCo SD)
South : Littleton (Littleton SD)

Our choices are based more on public school system, family-friendly communities rather than home prices etc.

Livecontent: Can you provide some feedback about Arvada schools ? especially elementary ones ? Or send me a DM with your thoughts.
I am not familiar with the schools as a parent (I am a senior citizen) as I have never had children in these schools. I can say from my years of prospective that the county puts a good amount of money in the system. Many schools in Arvada have been remodeled and some totally demolished and new schools built in the older areas. There are numerous new schools facilities as you go to the western part of town. There are no old style school building facilities existing.

Jefferson County has the largest school system in Colorado, as I understand. I never heard of any problems with safety with the schools in Arvada--even in the older areas. My relatives, with children, tell me that the schools in Arvada are well regarded. I pass the elementary and middle schools, very often, and it appears to me that they have the characteristics of a small family town with many children walking to and from schools; some parents meeting them and they seemed to well staffed with crossquard.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver