Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I do if I cant find a home for my pit bulls and I before my college classes start?
Live in a tent until I can find a place that will allow my dogs. 3 21.43%
Find another college and start over. 9 64.29%
Keep looking from Texas on my computer/phone. 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times

Advertisements

Trust me its all about the insurance. I am an agent and I can tell you the rates for insurance will likely triple for the landlord because there are only a few companies that offer the coverage and most are in a special class of insurers which dont come under normal insurance regulator oversight. Which means they can charge up the ying yang since they know the prospect has limited choices. There isn't that big a market for pit bull owners so its not like competition is going to brew up for your landlord's business either. Your best hope is to find someone desperate to rent to anyone who doesn't realize the cost, but expect to get booted eventually. I suspect more than half the pit bull, german shepherd and rottweiler owners are just hiding the dogs and hoping not to get caught. And there is no way for the owner to cleanly get away from the risk, waivers generally don't work because the renter has to get covered and that still often isn't good enough for the underwriters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Look, I like pit bulls as a breed. I think they're a great, highly trainable dog. I would trust a well-bred and well-raised pit bull around a child more than I would almost any other breed. However, the majority of people who own pit bulls are, I have found, total idiots who shouldn't have a dog to begin with. When you wreck a golden retriever, you create a nuisance. When you wreck a pit bull, you create a public safety hazard. So I understand why you're getting the negative feedback - no one wants the liability. HealthSeekerNY's comments are very good advice. Some landlords were a bit apprehensive of me in Denver when I said I had two dogs and a cat - once they spoke with me personally, I had no problems.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
When I take my dog to Denver, she's not a pit. She's a lab / American bulldog mix.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,589 times
Default Pits

Pits are like kids. It is all in how you raise them. And for the record, my Chihuahua has bitten way more than my son's pit. Chihuahua - 5. Pit - 0.

But people who think they are dangerous just because of their breed need to read a book for God's sake.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 AM

21 posts, read 74,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
When I take my dog to Denver, she's not a pit. She's a lab / American bulldog mix.
Exactly. I dont own a pitbull but have an "agressive breed" and now they're just a lab mix aka the best dogs ever.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM

306 posts, read 545,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLOVESJames View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Colorado from Texas with my two very friendly 7 yr old it bulls. I have been looking for a house to rent or even an a partment that allows pit bulls but have had no luck, especially apartments. There is no breed restriction law in Lakewood but everyone acts as if there is one. I know Denver and other suberbs have outlawed the breed but is there anyone out there who will rent to a pit bull owner in Lakewood, Co? Everyone I call on craigslist say they won't allow the dogs even with a hefty pet deposit.
I was to start college at RMCAD to be a graphic designer Fall 2011 but now I am unsure of moving to Colorado at all because of this housing problem I am having.
ANYthing will help. Thanks,
Jamie
Unfortunately many people choose not to rent to people with Pit bulls. I rescued a pit bull years ago, and she was a wonderful dog, loved my friends' children who came over, and got along well with other animals. She was lucky to have a good temperament and to have been socialized, and "bad dogs" are often really the owner's fault, but at the end of the day it's the dog who's blamed. But I digress.

I think your best bet would be to look for an individual landlord with a house for rent, and to write them an email about your dogs, or call them and tell them about your dogs, their temperament, etc and just hope that someone will be willing to rent to you. You MAY be able to get someone who'd be willing to let you sign a waiver to say that you're responsible for everything your dog does, etc. Another option would be to look for a dog lovers group, on meetup for example, and contact them and see if they have any members with rental property or who have suggestions on finding a suitable rental. I used to have a couple rentals in CA and I always chose to rent to people with big dogs because those people had a more difficult time finding a place for rent, and I love dogs, so I did it more for the dogs than the people. I did make sure I received a good deposit though.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Who rents to owners of pit bulls in Lakewood, Co??-little-girl.jpg  

Last edited by veg-gal; 07-15-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Unfortunately many people choose not to rent to people with Pit bulls. I rescued a pit bull years ago, and she was a wonderful dog, loved my friends' children who came over, and got along well with other animals.
Bla, bla, bla. Why is it that every single time, one of these things attacks some one, the owner says exactly the same thing. It was a wonderful dog, loved children, and got along well with other animals. and never did anything like this before.

It's like you pit bull owners practice saying the same thing over and over, in preparation for the day your dog attacks someone.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,042 times
Wasn't there a pit bull attack in Commerce City this past Sunday?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM

306 posts, read 545,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Bla, bla, bla. Why is it that every single time, one of these things attacks some one, the owner says exactly the same thing. It was a wonderful dog, loved children, and got along well with other animals. and never did anything like this before.

It's like you pit bull owners practice saying the same thing over and over, in preparation for the day your dog attacks someone.
Firstly, dogs are not "things". Next, I'm NOT a pit bull owner. I said I USED to have a pit bull, and had her until she died.

And maybe the reason people say that is because it's true. Pit Bulls who attack were generally not socialized and lived their lives chained in a backyard, etc.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Wasn't there a pit bull attack in Commerce City this past Sunday?
Yep. Mauled a kid's face off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver