Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,999,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I'm kind of confused why the OP has attracted so much negativity -- normally I've found that the Denver forum is one of the most polite on city-data, but this thread hasn't turned out to be that way.

To the OP: You definitely should visit here. Denver is not only very different from Atlanta, it's actually pretty different from most of the other cities on your list. Most of the criticisms of Denver are true: lopsided female/male ratio, brown/arid landscape, schitzophrenic weather. As others have said, Denver is neither a nightlife hotspot nor a particularly great city for careers compared to the big cities of the country, but being a large metro it's not bad in either category. The redeeming factor for many of us is proximity to the Rockies, of course. I personally love the casual dress and emphasis on work-life balance in Denver, but that's up to the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post

I wear polo, drive an X5, have a nice watch
everyone seemed to be very dressed-down and homely.
maybe this is why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM

115 posts, read 230,411 times
Quote:
I'm kind of confused why the OP has attracted so much negativity -- normally I've found that the Denver forum is one of the most polite on city-data, but this thread hasn't turned out to be that way.
Actually, people have been polite and extremely helpful. Cupcake77 has a personal vendetta (even though she doesn't even know me, but oh well) and I am guessing it was her who left the rep comment.

Quote:
To the OP: You definitely should visit here. Denver is not only very different from Atlanta, it's actually pretty different from most of the other cities on your list. Most of the criticisms of Denver are true: lopsided female/male ratio, brown/arid landscape, schitzophrenic weather. As others have said, Denver is neither a nightlife hotspot nor a particularly great city for careers compared to the big cities of the country, but being a large metro it's not bad in either category. The redeeming factor for many of us is proximity to the Rockies, of course. I personally love the casual dress and emphasis on work-life balance in Denver, but that's up to the individual.
Thanks for the advice. I am very thankful for the internet (what did people do without it???), as I did not get the responses I thought I would. While I am defintely looking for a city that is different from Atlanta, it also must have an awesome nightlife and a good male/female ratio. Denver is different from Atlanta, but from the responses of this thread, I am starting to think it doesn't pass the other two criteria. "Not bad" is just not going to cut it since I am only going to be living there for a year.

Of course, I am still going to visit, but my interest has shifted to San Diego. I know it depends on the individual (I am a positive person and tend to be happy wherever) but location is very important to me in this move and I just don't think proximity to the Rockies and contrast to Atlanta will be enough to outweigh average nightlife and a lopsided ratio. Thanks to all for being honest about your city, though! I am very grateful.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

6,682 posts, read 9,244,251 times
Quote:
Of course, I am still going to visit, but my interest has shifted to San Diego. I know it depends on the individual (I am a positive person and tend to be happy wherever) but location is very important to me in this move and I just don't think proximity to the Rockies and contrast to Atlanta will be enough to outweigh average nightlife and a lopsided ratio. Thanks to all for being honest about your city, though! I am very grateful.

You might want to check out Los Angeles, too -- most specifically West LA or the South Bay/Beach Cities like Hermosa Beach. You could live somewhere like Hermosa Beach, which has some nightlife and 'nice scenery' itself, but also have access to nightlife in other parts of the LA metro. I lived in Redondo Beach for a few years, so this is just a thought.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 AM

156 posts, read 325,157 times
Once I get settled into my apartment Ill be scoping out the night life and I will let you know how it is... I know what you are referring to with the guy:girl ratio (I went to a college town in upstate NY where the ratio was 3 girls to every guy)... I dont expect a ratio like that but for me I really dont care because I am just looking for 1 girl (Personally I'm done with "flings" and what not but I still enjoy checking out the night life to at least meet people).

Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM

115 posts, read 230,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
Once I get settled into my apartment Ill be scoping out the night life and I will let you know how it is... I know what you are referring to with the guy:girl ratio (I went to a college town in upstate NY where the ratio was 3 girls to every guy)... I dont expect a ratio like that but for me I really dont care because I am just looking for 1 girl (Personally I'm done with "flings" and what not but I still enjoy checking out the night life to at least meet people).
Sounds good. When you go out, just try to notice when you go to a bar if there are a lot more guys in a bar, and if it's like that in every bar you go to. Maybe the statistics of the people who actually go out is more balanced.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM

13,826 posts, read 29,846,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan87 View Post
(I went to a college town in upstate NY where the ratio was 3 girls to every guy)
That must have been fun.

Quote:
Sounds good. When you go out, just try to notice when you go to a bar if there are a lot more guys in a bar, and if it's like that in every bar you go to. Maybe the statistics of the people who actually go out is more balanced.
I go to bars every week, and it could be 2.5-4 to 1.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM

156 posts, read 325,157 times
Ha.. it actually wasnt as great as some may expect... Lots of these girls were complete trash and had no class... If you wanted to put a ratio of decent looking girls to guys it would had been closer to 1:1

Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,491,455 times
Quote:
You mentioned confidence earlier, if you are anything like myself, you will have a ball. A higher number of guys does not mean a higher number of guys women are attracted to...

I am your typical alpha male/metalhead/skateboarder, and I could get laid as often as I wanted (if that was what I was into).

So yeah, there are more guys, but if you are on the upper echelon, you will not notice the difference.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:21 AM

339 posts, read 1,284,911 times
Quote:

I don't understand why people hype it up to be that way either..

Old 06-12-2011, 02:26 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,491,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
I don't understand why people hype it up to be that way either..
I don't think it really gets hyped up all that much. It isn't one of the best in either category when you look at all the U.S. cities. But for it's size it fairs rather well in both areas... for its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver