Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Westridge is a region of Highlands Ranch. I don't think HR is any different than any other newer suburb of any other US City except that it is "planned" and not pieced together one subdivision at a time; it has more parks, open space, trails (IMO) than your average newer suburb. Both positives in my book. You don't have to live in a historic area to appreciate the history of a region. I look forward to visiting and exploring downtown Denver and downtown Littleton, I just prefer to live in a newer home. I don't think that makes me a bad or shallow person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
As someone else here said, there are neighborhoods in Denver proper that have larger yards- they also have bigger trees since they are more established neighborhoods. Try Southmoor, Bible Park, Wellshire East, Southern Hills. I've seen .25- 1/2 acre there. Plus the proximity to amenities and other parts is huge. Did you look at Sundance Hills in Greenwood Village- I always thought that community had larger lots plus several parks and a running trail around the perimeter. I find that the newer communities come with smaller lots- whether in the city or the burbs.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:02 AM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Maddie I know exactly how you feel. We have looked in Castle Rock too and its as you described above. You stand in the back yard and look up/around and say Do I want my neighbors watching my kids play in the pool? Watching me sunbathe? Watching our barbecues? NO! The place I have found with what you describe as ideal is the Green Mtn area of Lakewood, nice big yards, mature trees, ranches, and privacy. They are mostly built in the sixties so you dont get the 5 piece bath, but frankly I think that little toilet in a closet is kind of weird anyway.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:47 PM

385 posts, read 1,575,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
MaddieClaire,

I've seen MANY ranch plans as well as many larger size lots. Look at older properties -- there are many such on quarter acre or larger lots, and many of those are ranches. New-construction subdivisions simply don't have what you're looking for.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, we have thought about looking at older properties in nice neighborhoods, ones with real yards, and remodeling the house if necessary.
I can live with a nice smaller yard, but I can't live where people can look right into my windows, and me into theirs, or, where the decks and balconys overlook the neighbors on each side.
I want to sit in my backyard without seeing and hearing everything going on next door.
These neighborhod planners and builders are letting GREED be the driving force - cram as many houses into an area as possible and to heck with lawns and privacy.
Sheesh!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM

385 posts, read 1,575,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Holy cow, is that a picture of a real subdivision or a square on a Monopoly game?
That made me LOL!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
One reason you won't find me living in a house with a huge yard is water! It's expensive and in short supply here in the front range. Plus, compact housing developments leave lots of open space for everyone to enjoy, and, as a bonus, I don't have to mow open space.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
One reason you won't find me living in a house with a huge yard is water! It's expensive and in short supply here in the front range. Plus, compact housing developments leave lots of open space for everyone to enjoy, and, as a bonus, I don't have to mow open space.
I'm not sure I buy the above. I have a feeling it's more money-making on the part of the developers: samller lots = more homes per acre = more money. Of course, developers parrot the line about "preserving the environment". One can always xeriscape part of the yard anyway. Open space is great, but your own yard should be big enough for your kids to play in and to give you a little privacy. There have been some complaints about "open space" being the least desirable land in some subdivisions, in some cases land that couldn't have been built on anyway.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:06 PM

42 posts, read 166,687 times
Does anyone have a opinion on the new master planned developments in Aurora such as Southshore, Tallyns Reach, Beacon Point and Saddleback Ranch? I'm desperatly seeking information on that area. Seems everyone has something to say about HR and nothing about that new development. Any info would be appreciated. I'm looking to relocate from San Diego to Denver

Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Hey! I seem to have misread your post. I thought you were offering the above as the reason houses are built on small lots. Personal preference is something else, indeed. I apologize.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I'm not sure I buy the above. I have a feeling it's more money-making on the part of the developers: samller lots = more homes per acre = more money. Of course, developers parrot the line about "preserving the environment". One can always xeriscape part of the yard anyway. Open space is great, but your own yard should be big enough for your kids to play in and to give you a little privacy. There have been some complaints about "open space" being the least desirable land in some subdivisions, in some cases land that couldn't have been built on anyway.
I understand that developers maximize profits by building compact neighborhoods. But, speaking as someone who currently rents a house with a huge, water-loving lawn in the high desert, I really don't find a large yard all that appealing. I've lived on both coasts in houses on postage-stamp-sized lots and never found it bothersome. Your criticism implied that I've somehow been misled, but nothing could be further from the truth. Please don't diminish my opinion by implying that I am naive.

And, BTW, my social butterfly children spend most of their free-time riding their bikes up and down the street with their playmates. They avoid the backyard because "it's lonely back there."

Note: Pittnurse, we seem to have posted at almost the same moment. I'm sorry we misunderstood each other, too.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver