U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,560,287 times

Advertisements

Another day, another list. Denver "According to a U.S. News analysis, the 10 U.S. cities with the best combination of public transportation investment, ridership..." are with Denver at the top of the list

10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News and World Report

I am not foolish enough to think that these list are definitive but it follows on other lists from other media sources that indicate the public transit in Denver is one of the best in the country

According to the Brookings Institution, Denver is rated no. 6 with using public transit to access employment in the area

Denver among best U.S. cities for linking transit and jobs, says Brookings study | Denver Business Journal

Denver is frequently reported in the media as a good place to live. Another list from Sperling' Best Place says that Denver is on the verge of Greatness

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I always wonder if these list "grow from each other" and by saying the City is good, great, nice and improving--that good publicity, by itself, makes a big improvements possible. If enough say Denver is good a place to live; then more perceive that as such; and Denver attracts the type of creative people, businesses and investments that make the vision a reality.

For me, after many decades of living here--there were always predictions of Denver becoming a better city; and now that I am in the future of many of these predictions, I think it is true; the Denver area has become a much better place to live. Everytime, I go downtown, it is very surreal for me with all the changes. I can remember when 16th Street was not a mall; when the D&F tower was boarded up and surrounded by some decay; Denargo Market and the darken commerce under the overhead viaducts etc. It certainly has changed!

I have been a frequent user of Public Transit over these many years and have followed very closely the changes. In addition, I am an ex New Yawker. I can easily say that Public Transit is amazingingly good. It is shocking to me because, when I was younger, I believed that a Western City would not have had such a good history and now a big investment in Public Transit--I was wrong.

Livecontent

Last edited by Yac; 07-14-2011 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,551,524 times
LA is at number 3 so the list is false, LA's public transit is terrible

I do think that the lists grow from each other, they generally show the same outcomes with a few differences. Denver is a nice place to live

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 PM

36 posts, read 43,784 times
The problem I see here is that people who don't actually live in the city of Denver will call this false. If you are in Denver or one of the nearer older suburbs directly adjacent to the city itself and want to get into the city and around the city RTD is great. If you say you live in Denver but actually live in SE Aurora or Castle Rock then I think you are out of luck and likely to think the public transport system is bad.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 PM

17,451 posts, read 21,283,365 times
I was surprised not to see Dallas on the list. I was there over a year ago riding their great light rail DART system, rode every mile of it, and even the train between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

I live in a city with no vision for the future: Las Vegas. Our greedy, tourist-reliant cab drivers have the final say here if we ever get so much as a light track down the Las Vegas Strip to the Airport and downtown.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,560,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinmikein View Post
The problem I see here is that people who don't actually live in the city of Denver will call this false. If you are in Denver or one of the nearer older suburbs directly adjacent to the city itself and want to get into the city and around the city RTD is great. If you say you live in Denver but actually live in SE Aurora or Castle Rock then I think you are out of luck and likely to think the public transport system is bad.
Very true. The availability of Public Transit is selective depending on the areas, in and around any city. It depends on demand and resources. That is where choice is important; and one must take public transit in consideration when deciding where to live and also where one works, if possible. Some people will never use public transit--which is good because no system can serve the full population of any city--many of these people are the same who say the system is bad; but they never use it. That is not their lifestyle and that is OK.

The need is there for the disabled, the too young and the too old. It is a necessity for those who do not have the money to buy and maintain a private car. That is why better public transit is in the poorer areas because of the demand; yet, Denver system extents very far out to more afluent areas and many parts of the suburbs are very well served, especially the inner ring older suburbs, as you have pointed out.

There is also the people, who well can afford to own a car, but do not like to drive and choose not to drive to have a different lifestyle. This is why we are seeing, in the area, upperclass new urban neighborhoods that have embraced Transit Oriented Developments.

I am very satisfied with the service over the years. I do drive and I own two cars but I drive only about 2500 miles a year by choice and a disability. Eventually I will not be able to drive but I know that in this area, I will be able to get around without a car. That is real good feeling.

As cost of owning a car increases, we will see the areas that have good public transit becoming much more desirable and more expensive; and developments in far flung areas having less increases in value.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-02-2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,401,364 times
This list is laughable , although i do give credit to Denver , Salt Lake City , LA for expanding there systems and focusing on TOD..... NYC / NJ / LI / LHV / CT have a daily Transit Ridership of 14 Million and were expanding our systems....so to not put us as number makes this list seem laughable. And the fact that LA is above Boston is wrong....

Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,944,605 times
Denver also made another list (along with four, count 'em, four Florida cities, which certainly deserve it):

Dead Persons Walking (http://problogic.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/“dead-persons-walking”-–-the-deadliest-large-metro-areas-for-pedestrians-in-the-usa/ - broken link)
This is a list of the deadliest metro areas for pedestrians.
As someone who lost count of the near or actual collisions I witnessed or experienced myself, I can see Denver making this list.

I certainly applaud Denver's huge strides with public transportation.
Just be careful out there, folks.
People continue to move to Colorado, for some that love affair with automobiles is certainly difficult to give up, and impatient self-absorbed drivers in their cars can be lethal.

Maybe some day they'll finally fund that monorail to the mountains, especially now that the Ski Train is no more.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:23 AM

1,572 posts, read 2,841,421 times
If there were a list of The most absurd and unreliable list makers US News and World Reports would be #1.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,319,622 times
That's crazy, Light rail and busses over the NY City subway which is wayyyyy cheaper and you can go pretty much anywhere?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:42 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times
Here's the basic list.

1. Denver-Aurora, Colo.
2. New York-Newark, N.Y.-N.J.-Conn.
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif.
4. Boston, Mass.-N.H.-R.I.
5. Portland, Ore.
6. (tie) San Jose, Calif.
6. (tie) Salt Lake City, Utah
8. San Diego, Calif.
9. Seattle, Wash.
10. Honolulu, Hawaii
11. Washington, DC

A glance at the list prompts the observation that all 11 are expensive cities in which to live, which prompts the question: Are these cities expensive because of paying for the transit or because the desirability of transit makes these cities worth the price?

It's probably a bit of both, but I come down on the side of the latter, i.e., great transit makes a city more desirable and bids up realty prices and the cost of living.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or