Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 169,033 times

Advertisements

We have lived in California for 3 years(just been back) and after being here for 1 year (we live in Parker CO) – we consider people’s mentality as a whole in these two states to be very similar. It is the same self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me, me - we feel a lot of times (To clarify, it is not all people that are like this, but neither is it in CA, but it is enough to be a trend). From talking with a lot of other people - we are definitely not alone with our opinion - we get that it has not always been like this, but it is getting worse by the minute. There are a lot of good things to say about Colorado - it is pretty obvious, but this is one opinion we never heard before we moved here and we want to let people know what we think about living here when they consider moving here. We do not intend to pi.. off people we just want to help others make a informed decision.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Respectfully, I disagree. There's a little bit of "self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me" in other places I've lived, such as Phoenix and Las Vegas, but nobody is comparing Colorado to Arizona or Nevada (Parker to me is somewhat like Fountain Hills in Arizona.) Nevermind the difficulty generalizing about a population in a state this large and functionally diverse (agriculture, tourism, finance, government, energy, etc...)

I've found some people here that fit the OPs description, but many people that care deeply for their surroundings and fellows...I'm not even sure what airiness is meant to convey...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
We have lived in California for 3 years(just been back) and after being here for 1 year (we live in Parker CO) – we consider people’s mentality as a whole in these two states to be very similar. It is the same self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me, me - we feel a lot of times (To clarify, it is not all people that are like this, but neither is it in CA, but it is enough to be a trend). From talking with a lot of other people - we are definitely not alone with our opinion - we get that it has not always been like this, but it is getting worse by the minute. There are a lot of good things to say about Colorado - it is pretty obvious, but this is one opinion we never heard before we moved here and we want to let people know what we think about living here when they consider moving here. We do not intend to pi.. off people we just want to help others make a informed decision.
There are self-absorbed people in every city, in every state in this country...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
I rule and I am the best. My opinions are fact. I am the most interesting man in Highlands Ranch.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
We have lived in California for 3 years(just been back) and after being here for 1 year (we live in Parker CO) – we consider people’s mentality as a whole in these two states to be very similar. It is the same self-absorbedness, airiness and lack of caring for anything except me, me - we feel a lot of times
When you say you feel this mentality a lot of times, what do you mean exactly? Do you have rude, snotty neighbors?

I'm so sorry this has been your experience, I live in north Denver (Westminster) and my experience is the exact opposite. My community is filled with wonderful, caring people who go out of their way to help and support each other. Do we have some selfish jerks? Of course! Everywhere does, but the vast, vast majority of people I know here are totally awesome fun, friendly, giving people. I've lived in Westminster for 7 years and it's by far the nicest, friendliest place I've ever lived.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
When you say you feel this mentality a lot of times, what do you mean exactly? Do you have rude, snotty neighbors?

I'm so sorry this has been your experience, I live in north Denver (Westminster) and my experience is the exact opposite. My community is filled with wonderful, caring people who go out of their way to help and support each other. Do we have some selfish jerks? Of course! Everywhere does, but the vast, vast majority of people I know here are totally awesome fun, friendly, giving people. I've lived in Westminster for 7 years and it's by far the nicest, friendliest place I've ever lived.
That don't mean anything. They are your neighbors. You've been there for 7 years of course they going to bend over backwards.

You neighbors do not make up the whole city. That being said, I do kind of feel Denver is a bit cliquey.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
That don't mean anything. They are your neighbors. You've been there for 7 years of course they going to bend over backwards.

You neighbors do not make up the whole city. That being said, I do kind of feel Denver is a bit cliquey.
It's my experience, that's what it means. I was pointing out that saying an entire city is self-centered or cliquey is completely subjective. I've had had plenty of a hole neighbors in other places, believe me--being a neighbor seems to have little to do with it (unfortunately).

I wonder if there is some way to objectively measure this? Like a city "Jerk index" (or the flip side "friendliness index"). I imagine that would be quite useful but I can't imagine how it could be done, there's enough variability in any proxy index to give statisticians nightmares.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
A lot of people moved to Denver from California over the past few years. Maybe a lot of them moved to Parker?

I don't know what else to say, really. I think you can find people like this anywhere.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradburn1 View Post
I wonder if there is some way to objectively measure this? Like a city "Jerk index" (or the flip side "friendliness index"). I imagine that would be quite useful but I can't imagine how it could be done, there's enough variability in any proxy index to give statisticians nightmares.
This whole country is full of fake, flakey people. That's why I ordered my passport because I just want to get the hell out of this country. I met some guys from Sweden the other day...even if they didn't have the accents you'd know they weren't from Colorado and most certainly not America.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I rule and I am the best. My opinions are fact. I am the most interesting man in Highlands Ranch.

I would give you a rep point, but I think I deserve it because I am fabulous and look really good today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver