U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2011, 01:36 AM

9 posts, read 36,430 times

Advertisements

i've been looking on craigslist and such for studios and 1 BR apartments in capitol hill. the cheapest i have found is about $550. are these apartments any good, or are they disgusting and roach infested??

i'm looking for pretty inexpensive places to live. i know capitol hill isnt the best place to start looking for that, but being that i am coming from new york, i like some nightlife and stuff like that. [i hear capitol hill is good for this]

what about washington park??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

3,531 posts, read 6,279,594 times
Uh, you have it turned around. The Hill is the best place to look for affordable housing that is close to downtown. Wash Park is much more expensive, although I much prefer the area to the Hill.

We need more info - your age, what you do for a living/where you will be working.

We do have roaches in Denver but when you say roach-infested, I wouldn't call it that. Really depends on the building. I work in a highrise downtown that has 'em. It's because the buildings are old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityUnity View Post
i've been looking on craigslist and such for studios and 1 BR apartments in capitol hill. the cheapest i have found is about $550. are these apartments any good, or are they disgusting and roach infested??

i'm looking for pretty inexpensive places to live. i know capitol hill isnt the best place to start looking for that, but being that i am coming from new york, i like some nightlife and stuff like that. [i hear capitol hill is good for this]

what about washington park??

Old 06-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Uh, you have it turned around. The Hill is the best place to look for affordable housing that is close to downtown. Wash Park is much more expensive, although I much prefer the area to the Hill.

We need more info - your age, what you do for a living/where you will be working.

We do have roaches in Denver but when you say roach-infested, I wouldn't call it that. Really depends on the building. I work in a highrise downtown that has 'em. It's because the buildings are old.

thanks for your reply.

oh, well i'm glad you clarified that. i thought "the hill" was slighty expensive? i guess i thought wrong. : )

i'm in my mid 20s. i dont have a job lined up, nor do i have a college degree.

i know, i know, its "best" not to move without having a job 1st. but, i gotta do what i gotta do.
so to answer your question, i really have no clue what i will be doing work wise, or where i will be doing it.

lol about the roaches. let me just say, i do not want A SINGLE ONE in my building. ZIP ZERO ZILCH NADA NONE. not one.

if you've ever been to new york, you understand why.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM

aaah, ok. I've never been to NY but know plenty from there. We DO NOT have that kind of issue with the roaches.

Hey, I moved here from my hometown of Dgo., CO, when I was 17. No job, and $250 in my pocket. I made it just fine. You have to be very relentless when looking for work, and not give up or be lazy about it. Often I would juggle 3 jobs. But I had a party life to budget for too - LOL. Ya, everyone says have a job before you move --- but --- most of those people are older, have kids, dogs, cats, an entire family to move. You are fresh and young without all of that baggage (I hope!) and so moving will be much easier for you. My advice? Find a friend who'll come with you. Because it's not easy and moving with my best friend made it a really fun adventure.

The Hill is the best place for people like you, I really believe that. The way I found my first apt. was I started from the Capitol, then walked down Sherman until I hit 12th and then saw an apt. for rent. That was it. I'm sure it's not that simple any longer - but it's a great place to start. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
aaah, ok. I've never been to NY but know plenty from there. We DO NOT have that kind of issue with the roaches.

Hey, I moved here from my hometown of Dgo., CO, when I was 17. No job, and $250 in my pocket. I made it just fine. You have to be very relentless when looking for work, and not give up or be lazy about it. Often I would juggle 3 jobs. But I had a party life to budget for too - LOL. Ya, everyone says have a job before you move --- but --- most of those people are older, have kids, dogs, cats, an entire family to move. You are fresh and young without all of that baggage (I hope!) and so moving will be much easier for you. My advice? Find a friend who'll come with you. Because it's not easy and moving with my best friend made it a really fun adventure.

The Hill is the best place for people like you, I really believe that. The way I found my first apt. was I started from the Capitol, then walked down Sherman until I hit 12th and then saw an apt. for rent. That was it. I'm sure it's not that simple any longer - but it's a great place to start. Good luck!
::high fives denverlawgal::

hehe. appreciate it. yes, i dont have any of the "baggage".

i do agree that moving with a friend would be very nice, and it would definitely alleviate some of the pressures of making new friends, socializing, etc etc etc. but, looks like this is going to have to be a solo mission.
it's kinda like, i've taken vacations with friends, and i've done it alone as well. both have their pros and cons. but, the places i went alone were amazingly beautiful, and i feel if i waited around for other people, i would never get to see these places. so i'm the type that just says "screw it" and goes for it.

but i agree, it woulda been nice to have a friend with me in the move.

you made it with $250 in your pocket??!! that is DAMN impressive, i must say.

ideally, the "plan" is to have, AT LEAST, 20,000 - 25,000 grand in my bank account, as well as both of my credit cards at ZERO balance.

we shall see.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 AM

Well, keep in mind... I rented in 1990. So... some time ago.

Yes, come without cc debt and dump as much into savings as you can. Then don't be picky with the apt (other than the roaches) and go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityUnity View Post
::high fives denverlawgal::

hehe. appreciate it. yes, i dont have any of the "baggage".

i do agree that moving with a friend would be very nice, and it would definitely alleviate some of the pressures of making new friends, socializing, etc etc etc. but, looks like this is going to have to be a solo mission.
it's kinda like, i've taken vacations with friends, and i've done it alone as well. both have their pros and cons. but, the places i went alone were amazingly beautiful, and i feel if i waited around for other people, i would never get to see these places. so i'm the type that just says "screw it" and goes for it.

but i agree, it woulda been nice to have a friend with me in the move.

you made it with $250 in your pocket??!! that is DAMN impressive, i must say.

ideally, the "plan" is to have, AT LEAST, 20,000 - 25,000 grand in my bank account, as well as both of my credit cards at ZERO balance.

we shall see.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:13 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,104,090 times
Try Sherman Street (Poet's Row). They might not be the prettiest places, but they are usually the cheapest in Cap Hill.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Yes, OP, Poet's Row is right down the way from where my first apartment was. Sherman is a good street in general. I also really liked Pennyslvania St.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 67,577 times
I found some nice studios in the 500's. I go on google maps, find an area I like and then type apartments in search, it will show the buildings- not all, but some. I have found a lot of small, really nice buildings through this, though they don't always come up, as they aren't marked but I have found a good deal of affordable buildings, and I look at it like this, if an apartment doesn't have an apartment rating then no one had to complain, as most apartment ratings are posted by tenants who have had wrong done on them. Also, most apartments don't have normal websites so you have to kind of investigate, but most likely I have found at some point during an apartment building's life some cyber space promotion has occurred.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 PM

@mortiechan

you should respond to the direct message i sent ya!!!

@Z3N1TH 0N3
@denverlawgal

i will DEFINITELY check out this poets row, as well as pennsylvania st!! thankssss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver