Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,094,514 times

Advertisements

Metro State has a good education program. It has relationships with most of the districts around the metro area.

I have worked (in education) with a variety of educators some from Ivy League schools to every level of state schools. Quite frankly, I don't care where they went to school as long as they are competent in their subject, and good with their students.

I have noticed that many teachers who go to very prestigious (and expensive) universities don't last long in education because they have student loans to pay off and a $35k starting salary does not begin to allow them to rent an apartment, buy food, and pay off their loans.

According to US News, out of state tuition is about $14k a year for Metro ($56k for four years), $17k a year for UNC ($68k for four years), $20k a year for CU-Denver ($80k for four years), $23k a year at CSU ($92k for four years), $28k a year for CU ($112k for four years), $36k a year at DU ($144k for four years), and $39k a year for CC ($156k for four years).

IMHO, based on their costs and their programs, the best buys are: 1. UNC - It is the state's teaching college, and the cost of living in Greeley is much lower than in Denver (but the smell is much worse), 2. Metro State and 3. CU-Denver. If you go to Metro, you can use the $24k you save over going to CU-Denver for four years to pay for grad school at CU-Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,187,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Just to clarify, Metro's nursing program is only for people who already have nursing credentials, e.g. a diploma from a hospital program or an AAS from a two year college. If you want to do direct entry into nursing, you need to go to CU, Regis, UNC, UCCS, etc. That's about the order of the strength of the programs, to be frank. I know this is a tad off-topic, just wanted to clarify.

I agree that CU is not just considered top notch b/c of the sports. There are many programs, particularly in science and engineering, where CU is at the head of the pack. They have the Nobel Prize winners to prove the strength of their programs in physics and biochem.
I said most well known.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I said most well known.
LOL! You also said:
Quote:
AFA, CC, and CSM are the three best.
Considering AFA is a very specialized place for people wishing a career in the military, CC is a pricy liberal arts school, and CSM is also a specialized school, I think CU is a great affordable school for people with diverse interests.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,044 times
As a student who researched both Metro and UCD and decided on Metro... if you're going into a field that UCD clearly has a better program, go to UCD. Otherwise, there really is no reason to pay the extra tuition just to get the word "university" on your diploma.

Campus life, etc, is pretty much the same between the two schools. The only major difference I've seen is that UCD does make first-time freshman live in private student housing, but that wouldn't apply to you, since you're 22.

From what I've seen, the undergraduate Education programs between the two schools are pretty on-par. But I can't say that for sure, so do your homework about the specific programs.

There's this rhetoric that "Metro isn't a university, so UCD is better." The only difference between a university and a college is the name. Any college with graduate programs can call itself either a university or a college. And Metro will almost undoubtedly change its name to a university within the next few years, but that plan is on hold for now.

If you don't care about traditional campus life or paying extra money for the prestige of a bigger name, Metro is a fantastic school.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
Just one minor thing I wanted to address:

There is a predominant attitude in Denver among certain professions wherein they DO discern between Metro and UCD. I've seen it firsthand. It really depends on your field. Mine is law and I can tell you, going to UCD or CU before law school (especially if you want to attend DU/CU for law school) will make a giant difference in you getting in. It also gives you a large push for getting a job later.

Also, I thought Metro announced the name change and the addition of graduate programs? Not so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski91 View Post
There's this rhetoric that "Metro isn't a university, so UCD is better." The only difference between a university and a college is the name. Any college with graduate programs can call itself either a university or a college. And Metro will almost undoubtedly change its name to a university within the next few years, but that plan is on hold for now.

If you don't care about traditional campus life or paying extra money for the prestige of a bigger name, Metro is a fantastic school.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,336,621 times
Metro offers Master's in Accounting, Social Work, and Teaching/Education; not sure of any other ones that may be coming up. I think, for now, they are holding on the name change but still considering it.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,693,714 times
Thanks ColoWeb! I did hear an announcement, and then some grumbling. Interesting news.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 PM

531 posts, read 1,140,802 times
Metro State is a fine school. It is a heckuva lot cheaper than some of the other options out there. The education department seems to be one of the better ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver