U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 8,366 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Arvada at the end of the summer so I have been doing some online searching. Are there any apt/town homes you can recomend or neighborhoods to avoid? We have two young kids so would like a family friendly area and near by parks would be a plus. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,824,077 times
I have lived in Arvada for over 30 yrs. and over 32 yrs. in Colorado. I would say that there is really no area of Arvada that needs to be avoided. Some areas are older; some areas are being redeveloped but there are no bad areas of crime.

The olde town area, which is of course oldest, is highly desireable because it really has a authentic main street experience of a small town. As you go west, the homes get newer and reflect the decades of that time. If drive down Ralston Rd. you can follow the expansion of Arvada over time. Ralston Rd. starts at W58th west of Wadsworth and curves up to West 64th, at Independence. The old area has many small homes, mostly ranches which were more common in times past. It has big parks that follow Ralston Creek. I would suggest one of the many Apartments on West 64th, in and around Arvada West High School, which is at Simms. This is new high school on the site of the old which was torned down. Middle schools and elementary schools are nearby and this is a very safe established area.

As you drive to the newer areas to the west, homes become less ranches and more multiple story with newer development west of indiana. The whole area is West Arvada and follows the Ralston Valley. Area. west of Indiana, is called Westwood because of the big golf course of that name. West Arvada has numerous new schools and is home to the largest recreational center in the Denver area, Apex Center, on West 72nd. past Ward Rd. http://apexprd.org/facilities/apex-center

The areas in the West and the South do have some vestiges of some farming and ranching with many equestrian centers along Indiana. If you want to see the Ralston Valley from an overlook, I would suggest driving down West 80th, and when you get to Simms you will be at a high point of the valley. Another good drive is going Down West 72nd, from Sheridan through Indiana.

A good area to live would also be the Lake Arbor area, near 80th and Wadsworth. This is a well established neighborhood with shopping and good public transit. It should be pointed out that a new commuter line construction will soon be started called the Gold Line. It will have station through Arvada and will be completed in 2016.

I live in the older Eastern area of Arvada that suites my needs because of the good public transit and quick access to Denver and shopping in Westminster. I did live in West Arvada, near the new Recreational Center, before it was built and that is a great area for families with good parks and schools but not as good public transit. I have relatives in West Arvada, living along Ralston Creek, past Ward Rd. Very nice area with new schools.

Parks are everywhere. Just check the Arvada website for their parks map. The city is really know for its parks and trails. I would encourage you to investigate the Arvada City Website City and Community of Arvada: Welcome to the City and Community of Arvada
view an older video on the trails on this link to the Parks City and Community of Arvada: Parks and Recreation
Map of Parks are located at http://maps.arvada.org/opendata/pdf/...Open_Space.pdf
and a trail map http://maps.arvada.org/opendata/pdf/Trail_Map.pdf

Arvada is really a very quiet conservation area with more long term residents and natives. I have written much on the City--just do a search. It is not a place with exciting venues, bars and shopping which attracts outsiders, except for the Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities which is just great for Adults and Children
Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities:

There are no highways to the city and the Arvada formed as a separate agricultural community, so it does have that separate feel of a small town. However, there is good access to Denver and other cities and towns. One big advantage is that it is fully opened west to the foothills of the rockies and there are open space, parks and preserved land, set aside. It is also very close to the exciting attractions of Boulder.

Arvada is a city but more of a small town that is separate in the Northwest Metro area. It is a place where one returns from work, mostly in Denver, and just a place to relax. It is place to see a ballgame at a local field or coach your children at the extensive soccer fields. It is place where you can enjoy a good church experience. One of the biggest churches in the area is Faith Bible Chapel on 64th near Ward. (I am an atheist but I recognize the advantages of churches for some). It is place that has many local restaurants that you can bring the family. It is place where you can enjoy the peace and quiet along the many parks and water resources. Some would call it boring but I call it an enclave where one can be refreshed and restored.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-17-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM

414 posts, read 516,770 times
^^ Nice post as always, thanks Livecontent.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM

8 posts, read 8,366 times
Thank you for all the info! I feel pretty good about Arvada now, we were hoping for more of the family scene rather then the exciting night life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver