U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,848 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Denver (the offices are right downtown from what I understand) and we will be moving in late September. I am pregnant, due at the end of August, with our second (our daughter is four) so we may not have the chance to come down and look around before we move. We currently live just outside of Portland, OR. I've lived in Oregon my entire life and am a bit nervous about moving, although I'm excited about the weather!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for neighborhoods. I did a search of the forums, but a lot of people were looking for different things than we are, so I didn't feel like I got a very good idea of areas we might be interested in. We'll be renting. I'm looking for a smaller house (2 bedrooms, possibly 3) but a bigger yard, ideally fenced. I like older neighborhoods and older houses. I lived in Silverton, OR for a while and there were a lot of things I really loved about it and would like to find in Denver area, if possible.

I definitely don't want to live in the city. In Silverton there was a very small town feel, but it everything you needed was there. Grocery store, cool local shops, a Goodwill, etc. There was a really great park and a lot of the neighborhoods were older and it was easy to go on walks. There was some pretty cool recreation nearby, a great place to hike and a reservoir for swimming. I'm also hoping to find somewhere with good schools and maybe an active community center or something similar. I'll be staying home with the kids and I'm a little worried about feeling isolated. I don't know if there's areas that are more "natural family" friendly--we use a midwife and do cloth diapering, baby wearing, that kind of thing.

I feel like that's really disjointed! I'm sorry. As I said before, I'm feeling really nervous about a blind move (And I'm sure my hormones aren't any help.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,819,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslumberingheart View Post
My husband got a job in Denver (the offices are right downtown from what I understand) and we will be moving in late September. I am pregnant, due at the end of August, with our second (our daughter is four) so we may not have the chance to come down and look around before we move. We currently live just outside of Portland, OR. I've lived in Oregon my entire life and am a bit nervous about moving, although I'm excited about the weather!

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for neighborhoods. I did a search of the forums, but a lot of people were looking for different things than we are, so I didn't feel like I got a very good idea of areas we might be interested in. We'll be renting. I'm looking for a smaller house (2 bedrooms, possibly 3) but a bigger yard, ideally fenced. I like older neighborhoods and older houses. I lived in Silverton, OR for a while and there were a lot of things I really loved about it and would like to find in Denver area, if possible.

I definitely don't want to live in the city. In Silverton there was a very small town feel, but it everything you needed was there. Grocery store, cool local shops, a Goodwill, etc. There was a really great park and a lot of the neighborhoods were older and it was easy to go on walks. There was some pretty cool recreation nearby, a great place to hike and a reservoir for swimming. I'm also hoping to find somewhere with good schools and maybe an active community center or something similar. I'll be staying home with the kids and I'm a little worried about feeling isolated. I don't know if there's areas that are more "natural family" friendly--we use a midwife and do cloth diapering, baby wearing, that kind of thing.

I feel like that's really disjointed! I'm sorry. As I said before, I'm feeling really nervous about a blind move (And I'm sure my hormones aren't any help.)
I don't think you are going to find anything like that in Denver. It's pretty hard to find a small town near Denver. You might want to take a look at Littleton, Arvada, or Wheatridge. You might have a good chance of finding the type of house you are looking for there.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,285,970 times
It won't have everything on your list but old Littleton sounds like it might be a good fit for you. It has a small town feel, good schools, lots of parks and trails with older homes. It's not too far from Chattfield reservoir. It has the advantage of being on the light rail so your DH could take that to work rather then drive and you could take it to city neighborhoods without having to actually live in the city.

Welcome to Denver!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,408,107 times
As someone who grew up in the Denver area and now lives in Oregon, you are going to struggle to find the small town atmosphere you are looking for near Denver. Oregon has a lot more smaller towns that are separated by natural areas/barriers. Denver is definitely a large metro area with very little, if any, separation between cities/towns. However, if you can afford it, you might look into some of the towns just west of Denver in the foothills/mountains (Evergreen, Bailey, Morrison come to mind). Littleton, especially near old town Littleton, is also a good choice. My parents live in that area and it does still retain some of that small town character. There are also some really nice older neighborhoods right in Denver that remind me of the trendier parts of Portland. They are very walkable, but not necessarily small town. You might also consider Louisville/Boulder area if your husband doesn't mind the commute to Denver on a daily basis. It definitely fits the bill in terms of the lifestyle you are seeking (if you can afford it).

The weather in Denver is fabulous! I miss that for sure!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,711,201 times
But what about the small towns of Frisco, Bailey, Evergreen, Dillon, Salida, etc???

Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
But what about the small towns of Frisco, Bailey, Evergreen, Dillon, Salida, etc???
That would be one heck of a commute to downtown Denver.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 8,711,201 times
oh yes, haha. I was just saying, everyone here is saying, oh it's hard to find a small town near Denver. But I do have friends who commute from Evergreen and Golden, and they don't mind it one bit. They also commute via mass transit which I find interesting.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
oh yes, haha. I was just saying, everyone here is saying, oh it's hard to find a small town near Denver. But I do have friends who commute from Evergreen and Golden, and they don't mind it one bit. They also commute via mass transit which I find interesting.
Too true. Golden wouldn't be a bad commute at all.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,490,262 times
The Best Small Town atmosphere in close proximity around Denver are found in Northwest: Arvada, Golden, Wheat Ridge. The reason is because these towns were developed separately from Denver. Arvada and Wheat Ridge as being agricultural and Golden as being far removed and being a one industry town--Beer!

Golden has more of a separateness which enhances the small town feel with a authentic main street. Arvada still has some isolation and does not really touch Denver and has a good main street olde town. In addition, Arvada is fully opened to the foothills to the west with remnants of agricultural and ranching still seen. Wheat Ridge is surrounded and enclosed by older developments of Lakewood and Denver but still has a feel of separate little town with some connection to Golden and Arvada. Traffic is Arvada, Golden and Wheat Ridge is much less so the feel of small separate towns are much more.

Littleton and Englewood also the distinction of being developed separately and have light rail access. Littleton has a nice old town area. Englewood does have an old town but has been absorbed in the contiguous boundary with Denver and is not so apparant. Both these areas are surrounded and bordered by fast growing suburban growth, heavier traffic, which somewhat diminished the separateness of a small town feel.

As far as the mountains towns of Bailey, Frisco, Evergreen etc. I do not consider these places as good commuting places to Denver because of moutain weather. Evergreen being more acceptable with many good amenities.

Louisville, Lafayette, Longmont still have some aspects of a small town. We tend to forgot about all the small towns, farther out on the Great Plains like Firestone, Frederick, Dacona, Fort Lupton--all are within commutable distance and have increasing populations. Going farther north we have Berthoid with a nice main street area. Brighton is also a very good small town atmosphere. There area many towns, out east that people commute from to Denver such as Beyers, Bennet, Kiowa and Elizabeth. So, yes, there are many small towns.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-21-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,848 times
Thank you so much to everyone for their thoughtful replies! I really appreciate everyone taking the time and thought to answer my questions. I'm definitely interested in the Littleton area, and we'll be looking around at some of the other suggestions once we get more of a feel for the area and commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or