U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times

Advertisements

The lease for the stock show at its existing complex runs until 2040. Denver will need a really good reason to allow them to break their lease and spend money to build a new complex near the Gaylord site. Any new complex will not be built until it goes before the voters. That scenario is at least 18 - 24 months away, probably more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,060,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
The lease for the stock show at its existing complex runs until 2040. Denver will need a really good reason to allow them to break their lease and spend money to build a new complex near the Gaylord site. Any new complex will not be built until it goes before the voters. That scenario is at least 18 - 24 months away, probably more.
Maybe because the existing complex is decrepit compared to most shows elsewhere? Other shows go on in modern arenas with hotels and entertainment relatively close by. Would you suggest a tourist wander around the stock show complex in January?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:01 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
I think the biggest question yet to be answered is will this development get the grant in the regional tourism act? We will not know until December so until then I would sit tight and just keep a eye on the project in Denver.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:57 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think the biggest question yet to be answered is will this development get the grant in the regional tourism act? We will not know until December so until then I would sit tight and just keep a eye on the project in Denver.
Now this is not what I expected in your comment Why do you not push to move the National Western to Pueblo. Do you not have the bull riders, something or other there? We should shovel all the BULL together--I know you are good at it

Perhaps the show should look at another city in Colorado. Denver has changed--it is not a cow city anymore. Greeley may also be a better place.

The idea that the OP thinks that this hotel is set to go is nonsense. All this is political and financing. It is true that the Show has a lease and it would have to go to the voters to built another complex--it is all years away, if at all.

Hotels are always a changing situation. A company builts it; another company manages it; and some big money group owns it. Many times before it is completed it changes ownership and management. Just because you have a job in one hotel, in one city, does not mean, you can transfer to another hotel because it has the same name--it can be managed by another company.

The OP is putting a cart before the horse; and he does not yet have the horse or the cart--just the bull.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-26-2011 at 12:06 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Now this is not what I expected in your comment Why do you not push to move the National Western to Pueblo. Do you not have the bull riders, something or other there? We should shovel all the BULL together--I know you are good at it

Perhaps the show should look at another city in Colorado. Denver has changed--it is not a cow city anymore. Greeley may also be a better place.

The idea that the OP thinks that this hotel is set to go is nonsense. All this is political and financing. It is true that the Show has a lease and it would have to go to the voters to built another complex--it is all years away, if at all.

Hotels are always a changing situation. A company builts it; another company manages it; and some big money group owns it. Many times before it is completed it changes ownership and management. Just because you have a job in one hotel, in one city, does not mean, you can transfer to another hotel because it has the same name--it can be managed by another company.

The OP is putting a cart before the horse; and he does not yet have the horse or the cart--just the bull.

Livecontent
LOL, I wonder why?

Some thoughts on the Stock Show in Denver. They are under contract till 2040 so I don't see Denver letting it go as the economic impact is to great for the city. I, also, don't see the incentive for Denver to have it built out east by DIA but keep it where it is. Especially now that Aurora and Gaylord has shown their hand. I, also, don't think the Stock Show not moving there is a deal breaker for the development as they will have little impact on a companies decision to have a convention there. I still say the biggest hurdle is going to be the state regional tourism grant. From what I have read they are a long shot but I don't know what the state is or is not looking for so I won't make any kind of prediction. Just wait and see.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 7,693 times
Quote:

Livecontent
It is just amazing to me how some people can take a simple question and respond with a complete idiotic answer. If you are going to be rude then just don't say anything. The hotel will be run and managed by Gaylord. I work for the company and will have no problem transferring to the new hotel. I do realize many things can happen until they actually start to break ground on this project. I simply asked about possible areas to live and raise my family. So if you must flame then flame on.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:

Livecontent
I agree. How many people in Denver go to this thing? I've never heard of anyone going to the stock show. Seems to just attract rural people from far away.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason12471 View Post
It is just amazing to me how some people can take a simple question and respond with a complete idiotic answer. If you are going to be rude then just don't say anything. The hotel will be run and managed by Gaylord. I work for the company and will have no problem transferring to the new hotel. I do realize many things can happen until they actually start to break ground on this project. I simply asked about possible areas to live and raise my family. So if you must flame then flame on.
What I am saying even if the hotel does open in the time frame which Gaylord is bellowing, 2015, which in these cases are usually very optimistic. So, you are asking about places to live and schools--4 years into the future and probably more. I think that is ridiculous. You even are given us the amount you can afford for a house--in four years? Who knows what the cost will be in that time? or your ability to pay more or less. You need to "hold your horses" and inquire more closely to that time and then you will get more current and useful information.

I have been on the opening management team of new hotels. Yes, there will be a team hired to help established and set up the departments. Generally, the sales team is the first to be established in a temporary office, a few years out; then comes the operational department managers--but that is no more than 6 months to 1 yr. Even if you have that managerial talent, that is still years away. Hourly workers are usually hired, as the need arises, but just a few months, to a few weeks to a few days, closer to opening.

I am given you more realistic views of the politics, the finances and the opposition to this project. That is what you are calling "flaming"; because I am upsetting your simplistic views.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-27-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I agree. How many people in Denver go to this thing? I've never heard of anyone going to the stock show. Seems to just attract rural people from far away.
The Stock Show is the National Western Stock Show, not a Denver Stock Show. It made sense, many decades ago when Denver was in the Stock business and more operations were located here. Denver was the only City in Colorado to hold such an event.

Now Denver has changed and I think Greeley more epitomizes and is known, nationally, for the stock industy. It sure smells like it to me They could combine it with the Greeley Stampede, which is in financial trouble.

The State Tourist Board who controls this money should look at the whole State, not just Denver. It would do more good in Greeley and have a bigger marketing effect.

Another idea that is bothering me is that we seem to want to make this vital and important livestock industy into a circus side show and carnival. So, there is proposal to built a resort nearby to turn it into a disney theme park.

I see the National Western Stock Show as an educational event and a place to exchange technical and scientific information on the livestock industry. It is a place where young people can learn and be encouraged to work in this industry. It should be located closer to the Agricultural School in Fort Collins and near the real authentic industy in Greeley and the livestock areas of the State. That is where it belongs in Greeley. Not some amusement center near the airport. It does not belong in Denver or Aurora.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 06-27-2011 at 01:10 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:42 AM

6 posts, read 7,693 times
Quote:
What I am saying even if the hotel does open in the time frame which Gaylord is bellowing, 2015, which in these cases are usually very optimistic. So, you are asking about places to live and schools--4 years into the future and probably more. I think that is ridiculous. You even are given us the amount you can afford for a house--in four years? Who knows what the cost will be in that time? or your ability to pay more or less. You need to "hold your horses" and inquire more closely to that time and then you will get more current and useful information.

I have been on the opening management team of new hotels. Yes, there will be a team hired to help established and set up the departments. Generally, the sales team is the first to be established in a temporary office, a few years out; then comes the operational department managers--but that is no more than 6 months to 1 yr. Even if you have that managerial talent, that is still years away. Hourly workers are usually hired, as the need arises, but just a few months, to a few weeks to a few days, closer to opening.

I am given you more realistic views of the politics, the finances and the opposition to this project. That is what you are calling "flaming"; because I am upsetting your simplistic views.

Livecontent
Oh my gosh. What is wrong with people today? I love the forum bully!!! Ares don't change that much in 4 years. Prices don't change that much in 4 years. I love Denver and I love the west. I am just very excited about the POSSIBILITY of moving out to your wonderful area. Please, if you can't contribute to a question then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver