Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 AM

6,801 posts, read 9,350,606 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can find sweet lebanon bologna here in Metro Denver, if at all? It's more of a Pennsylvania Dutch thing, I guess, but I'm wondering if maybe one of the eastern European deli/markets have anything like it.

I'm going to do some research on my own, but I figured I'd ask just in case someone has already found it. I'm in the mood for a sandwich today! It just seems like the perfect lunch for a hot day.

And yes, I'd even venture into Aurora to get it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I remember that from growing up in Baltimore, damn, that was good stuff. For some reason we called is "summer baloney," probably due to all the salt and spices that kept it fairly well preserved. IIRC, the two brands we liked the most were Esskay and Thuringer's, which I haven't seen here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:38 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
I have never seen Lebanon Bologna in Denver--that is a sort of specialy in the Pennsylvania. The best sausage manufacturer in Denver is Continental Sausage Continental Sausage produces all natural and gourmet European style sausages, as well as domestic and imported hams, salamis, cheeses, and chocolates.. They have a retail store in Cherry Creek.

The products are expensive but of the best quality that I have seen produced in this market. They carry many types of sausages and cured products. They would be most familiar with any product that they carry that would be similiar to this product.

According to my memory, the product is similiar to a dry aged fermented summer sausage--like the popular Hickory Farms Beef Sausage--but not quite the same because it is more moist and not shelf stable like the Hickory Farm product.

Livecontent

Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM

345 posts, read 914,026 times
Hmm I wonder what Quark is, I always thought of it as a Fergeni on Star Trek It seems like cheese type thing on that site you copied livec.

When I first moved here Kings use to sell Boar's head products. I miss their bologna, ham and etc. Too bad they stopped selling it I saw a truck about a year ago that said Boar's Head on it but I could not follow the dang thing. I would have figured out where they sell it since google did not help me.
It did not help me find what you are looking for locally either but these guys ship:

Meats and Cheese from Lancaster County PA

Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
Hmm I wonder what Quark is, I always thought of it as a Fergeni on Star Trek It seems like cheese type thing on that site you copied livec.

When I first moved here Kings use to sell Boar's head products. I miss their bologna, ham and etc. Too bad they stopped selling it I saw a truck about a year ago that said Boar's Head on it but I could not follow the dang thing. I would have figured out where they sell it since google did not help me.
It did not help me find what you are looking for locally either but these guys ship:

Meats and Cheese from Lancaster County PA
Sunflower Markets carries Boar's Head.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM

6,801 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the Continental Deli in Cherry Creek. I'm also going to take a look at the Summer Hill Market in Hilltop because it's not far from where I live and I never stopped to look. Interestingly enough, my King Soopers (at Monaco and Leetsdale) has Summer Sausage -- it's not exactly the same thing, but they do have it. It's on a display in the meat section but not available in the deli.

I'll let you know if I find it.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the Continental Deli in Cherry Creek. I'm also going to take a look at the Summer Hill Market in Hilltop because it's not far from where I live and I never stopped to look. Interestingly enough, my King Soopers (at Monaco and Leetsdale) has Summer Sausage -- it's not exactly the same thing, but they do have it. It's on a display in the meat section but not available in the deli.

I'll let you know if I find it.
Summer Sausage is a camping / hiking staple (since it doesn't need to be refrigerated). You can find it in any grocery store in Colorado.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Quark means curds in German. The only word I can remember in cooking is Quarkase with an umlaut over the a in kasecheese, meaning curd cheese. It also means other less than savory terms in idiomatic slang German speech-trash, filth etc.

As I came across more words in English and other languages, I could see how the writers of TV shows and movies used not well known words to surreptitiously give other meanings to character names and places. These writers were very well read and educated.

Livecontent

Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Most people do not realize that many of these dry cured sausages are not cooked, but fermented, and those that are smoked do not reach a temperature where it is cooked--they are cold smoked. The curing involves drying and fermentation which kills the pathogens and prevents the growth of others. Essentially they are raw. Genoa Salami, most old authentic pepperonis, Lebanon Bologna and many others are dry cured fermented products.

Livecontent

Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 PM

31 posts, read 114,418 times
Quark is like a cross between cream cheese and cottage cheese. It is available in different parts of the country. We used to get it in Seattle. It's nice spread on toast! You can find it in eastern european shops and markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver