U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM

22 posts, read 48,657 times

Advertisements

First and foremost, I would like to thank all of you that have already contributed a lot of time and information regarding life in Denver, as I've spent hours reading it. It is very much appreciated.

I am going to be graduating this year, and my girlfriend an I have been researching different options to live at after graduation. A few years back my family and I traveled to CO for a ski trip and checked out a lot of the big resorts in the area and on the way back, we stayed in Denver at the Monaco hotel for a few nights. I loved it, and from what I remember, it was a very appealing, and new city, plus we both love the prospective climate in the area.

My questions are:
-Where would you recommend a new grad to live in the city. Ideally we are looking for a clean safe neighborhood, with access to nightlife(we don't go out all the time, but it would be nice every once in a while to have it be nearby), and near public transportation. Additionally, if you live there or know someone who lives in the area, what is the average rent for a 1 or 2br apartment/house?
-I am a political science major, but I am looking to work in the financial sector. Do any of you currently work in the industry either with investment banking, portfolio management, etc.? I plan on starting the CFA program this year, so hopefully it will provide a few networking options, etc.
-How is the overall economy in Denver currently? I have a very diverse skillset so it is not an urgent priority to find a job in the finance industry or with politics, although that would be optimal.

Thank you guys! And if you have any additional information that you think is worth noting I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM

345 posts, read 783,005 times
The economy is crappy just like everywhere else, middle of the road bad, not as bad as some areas, not as good as others. I think last I heard we were at 9. something % unemployment.

Find a job first, then decided where to live. Without a job you will have no idea what area to look in, let alone what you can comfortably spend a month on rent.
If you two decide to move without a job do you have enough saved to possibly be unemployment for 3 or more months?
Not just here but anywhere you move in this economy, you should have a job first. If you move and hope to find one and cannot what will you live on for those months while applying?

Visit again with your girlfriend, take a long weekend vacation or a week if you can. Look around, look for jobs, etc.
A vacation trip is not the same as a looking for somewhere to live trip.
I use FL as my example often. I have family there, we have visited often, do the amusement parks, beach and etc. It is fun, pretty and I always like going, but I would never live there.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 48,657 times
Thank you for the reply. I've thought about the whole vacationing and living situation like you mentioned. I feel its hard though to really judge whether you enjoy a place for strictly leisure or a lifestyle. I plan on finding a job prior to coming out there, if at all possible, but if for some reason I cannot, I run a web and graphic design business that will allow me to have the life I want, but its just not something I would ideally like to do, which is why I'd like to transition to financials.

As far as location goes, with my current business, I can afford around 1000/mo. in rent, and my girlfriend of course would be able to add as well. We aren't looking for a top of the line place, but we would like to live comfortably, in a good location. I'm from Baltimore and have been around the ghettos, so its something I would like to avoid, although I'm not as uneasy as most are when it comes to being near a more 'ghetto' part of town. With that being said, do you have any recommendations on the better sections to live on? Or perhaps, what the most desired places to live in the area are? I've heard conflicting opinions on the better parts of town, as well as the worst part of towns, but from personal experience, have you lived in any places that you would feel safe walking around at night alone? Or conversely those you would avoid?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,652,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicklas14 View Post
First and foremost, I would like to thank all of you that have already contributed a lot of time and information regarding life in Denver, as I've spent hours reading it. It is very much appreciated.

I am going to be graduating this year, and my girlfriend an I have been researching different options to live at after graduation. A few years back my family and I traveled to CO for a ski trip and checked out a lot of the big resorts in the area and on the way back, we stayed in Denver at the Monaco hotel for a few nights. I loved it, and from what I remember, it was a very appealing, and new city, plus we both love the prospective climate in the area.

My questions are:
-Where would you recommend a new grad to live in the city. Ideally we are looking for a clean safe neighborhood, with access to nightlife(we don't go out all the time, but it would be nice every once in a while to have it be nearby), and near public transportation. Additionally, if you live there or know someone who lives in the area, what is the average rent for a 1 or 2br apartment/house?
-I am a political science major, but I am looking to work in the financial sector. Do any of you currently work in the industry either with investment banking, portfolio management, etc.? I plan on starting the CFA program this year, so hopefully it will provide a few networking options, etc.
-How is the overall economy in Denver currently? I have a very diverse skillset so it is not an urgent priority to find a job in the finance industry or with politics, although that would be optimal.

Thank you guys! And if you have any additional information that you think is worth noting I would appreciate it.
The economy is better than some cities, not as good as some others (Washington DC/ northern VA metro area for example has the #1 economy in the nation right now-- both public and private sectors), but regardless, it still sucks. It is very hard to find a job in Denver when you're a new graduate and currently unemployed and especially when you're an outsider with no prior Denver connections on your resume.

I'm in the financial industry, and I graduated 2 years ago. From my past experience I would expect your job search once you get here to take 4-6 months minimum, possibly 6mo-1yr, and there's always that chance you might not even find a job in your field here at all. Also, chances are extremely slim you would even have your resume looked at until you get to Denver. If you are dead set on getting a job in the financial industry, I would move to NYC to start your career. Only move to Denver if you are open to the possibility of doing something different in case plan A doesn't work out.

If you were thinking about going to grad school, doing an MBA program or something at CU, CSU, or DU would give you a strong local connection which would help in getting a business career going in this area.

If you make the move, wherever you end up first should only be thought of as temporary until you know where you're going to be working for a while. Most of the jobs you would be looking at would be located either downtown or in the Denver Tech Center (south suburbs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver