U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,017,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
Is there something wrong with your mother that she could not live with you? Would it not be more dignifying for her and you to have her around? If you have children, would they not benefit from having a Grandmother in their everyday life? Does your mother not deserve the respect that you and your family would do anything in your power to make her comfortable as she passes into the last stages of her life?

Yes, my mother has recently had some serious health issues that we feel can be better managed in an environment where 24 hour health care is available on a moments notice. I feel all children would benefit from having a grandparent in their everyday life. Unfortunately the hand I was dealt in life did not include children. (As an aside tho, I make one helluva good aunt!)

My mother not only deserves her family's respect; she gets it. Doing anything in our power for her is exactly what this very tough decision will entail. I have cared for her for months at a time in years past; & have had her live with me as well as me living with her. This has been at considerable financial & personal expense to me. Would I do it again? Absolutely ~ if that was still an option that served her best interests.

Still judging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM

304 posts, read 671,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Yes, my mother has recently had some serious health issues that we feel can be better managed in an environment where 24 hour health care is available on a moments notice. I feel all children would benefit from having a grandparent in their everyday life. Unfortunately the hand I was dealt in life did not include children. (As an aside tho, I make one helluva good aunt!)

My mother not only deserves her family's respect; she gets it. Doing anything in our power for her is exactly what this very tough decision will entail. I have cared for her for months at a time in years past; & have had her live with me as well as me living with her. This has been at considerable financial & personal expense to me. Would I do it again? Absolutely ~ if that was still an option that served her best interests.

Still judging?
Very well said--you sound like a caring and involved daughter. We should resist judging others until we've walked the proverbial mile in their shoes.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manquaman View Post
Is there something wrong with your mother that she could not live with you? Would it not be more dignifying for her and you to have her around? If you have children, would they not benefit from having a Grandmother in their everyday life? Does your mother not deserve the respect that you and your family would do anything in your power to make her comfortable as she passes into the last stages of her life?
Everyone please note that this clown was banned by another moderator today.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Hey, easy there.....i was just putting a little levity in a very trying matter. First off, thank you for all the links. I will explore every one of them.

I was born & raised in Denver; right IN Denver. I make at least 3 or 4 trips back home each year & have done so for a quarter century. I know Denver quite well, thank you very much, just don't know much about senior living options.

My comment about a body guard was purely tongue in cheek; mia culpa for offending you. By my statement that central Denver isn't so great, I meant solely in terms of family getting from point A to point B. I am a driver...city, country, big cities, small towns, traffic jams and all. However the same cannot be said for the rest of my family. Some of them cannot or will not drive; and I will neither explain nor judge the reasons.

I know bad neighborhoods too...from the east coast to the west coast. My living has depended on decades of travel ~ on foot, on bike, by car & by plane. When I am in Colorado, I get around. A lot. I live in the east now & do business in the city - all five boroughs...and I do my own driving through them. So coming to my HOMETOWN of Denver & traveling thru all its wonderful neighborhoods....seeing the changes...still getting the best Mexican food in all the country right in north Denver....riding and hiking along the Platte...checking out the boutiques in Cherry Creek....enjoying some LODO nightlife......yeah, it's all a really enjoyable slice of city life. Kabbish?
Thank You for your good response in support of Denver. I do get defensive as I know as you know, that compared to other cities; Denver is great City that has improved tremendously over the many decades that I have been here.

I understand people not wanting to drive and those who cannot drive; that is one reason I am a strong supporter of public transit. I use it often as I have trouble driving at many times because of disabilities.

I am happy you enjoy my links as from exploration of senior housing, I have found there is much to choose.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or