U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times

Advertisements

We're about to embark on our househunting trip on Monday to find a home in one of these areas and we're looking for the collective wisdom of those familiar w/ these areas. My husband grew up in Longmont, where his family continues to reside, and he's been relocated to Aurora. We'd like to live in between these 2 communities, and a huge priority for us is good schools. We have 2 young children, the elder will be starting school next month. We will need a 4 BR home, and have looked at Meridian & Cotton Creek Elementary schools, as well as a couple in Stapleton, and prefer the former 2, but they all seem like good schools in their own right. My husband has tested the commute, and said he's willing to make the drive from McKay/Broomfield/Westminster, if it means a home/community we love. We're leaning towards those areas over Stapleton, but haven't ruled it out 100% yet, b/c the urban & walkability appeals to us. We're seeking friendly and welcoming, easy going neighbors, families w/ young children, and my mother will be living w/ us and won't have a car right away, so interesting places w/in walking distance or a short-drive are a plus too. I'll be a stay-at-home mom for a while, then seeking to return to work p/t as a therapist. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 PM

10,914 posts, read 29,418,729 times
How long have you lived in VA? Where in Aurora is THE job?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:11 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
I'd really recommend Stapleton and other areas nearer hubby's work. The drive won't be worth it. There are many nice areas close to his work. People aren't as hung up on specific schools out here as they are back east.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM

694 posts, read 1,794,201 times
Well the drive to Aurora from Bradburn, not fun. I have a neighbor who does it, he's a doctor at the Fitzsimmons campus. He says the commute is about 45 minutes. I am heasitant to ever recommend that someone commute that far--however you said you wanted to be closer to Lomgmont so that is also a consideration.

So, neighborhood comparisons:

McKay Landing: Nice area, good schools, cheaper houses than either Bradburn or Stapleton. Cons: Not walkable at all. Not very social, is farther commute to Aurora than the others (add 10 min to my Bradburn estimate from there to Aurora).

Bradburn: The most walkable from every house. I love Stapleton, but the majority of it is not truly walkable, only the homes closest to the town center. Bradburn is very walkable from every home, even to grocery stores. I recently listed what you can walk to from here in a discussion thread about walkability which is here:

Walk Score of 42 for Stapleton?

I think that would be best for mom as then she can get around on her own. There are quite a few older folks either living with their kids or living in the neighborhood close to grandkids, so she will have company. There are several homes for sale currently in here that have detached "mother-in-law" apartments (carriage houses) over their garages that might be of interest to you since you will have mom living with you. Those are great (I have one) because it keeps people close, but provides them with their own space. Carriage houses are almost impossible to find in the new suburban areas, so that's a unique feature of Bradburn. Stapleton has some too.

Neighborhood is super, super social and filled with kids. Lots of fun neighborhood activities all the time. Stapleton is similar I'm told in this respect, but Bradburn is much smaller than Stapleton, so you will know most of the people in the neighborhood (at least the outgoing ones) and they will be close, where in Stapleton, it's so large I would think you would know mostly the people closest to you.

Excellent schools. I have a 4th grader at Cotton Creek, she's attended since kinder and we are very happy with the school. Neighbors say the middle and high school (especially the high school) are also wonderful. There are also many choices close other than Cotton Creek-charter schools and magnet schools (like 5 others kids in here go to, all public, but the majority go to CC).

There still are new builders in Bradburn, we have a new one set to start soon (Century Communities). I've heard they will have homes 3-4 bedrooms ranging from 300-high 400s. I don't know anything about them other than that however.

Stapleton: Higher prices than Bradburn or McKay but also more choices. Much closer to hubby's work and downtown. More urban surrounding the neighborhood. Awesome parks and pools (really exceptional playgrounds). Nice friendly folks. Less walkable from most homes. Much larger neighborhood (Bradburn is more cozy feeling). Good schools, although I hear the High school is not as good as the k-8. Loads of kids. Farthest from Longmont (about 1 hr 15 minute drive).

Feel free to send me a private message if you have other Bradburn questions, and good luck house hunting!

Last edited by Bradburn1; 07-03-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 PM

119 posts, read 269,133 times
Bradburn has a wonderful family feel. Cotton Creek and Legacy High school are GREAT! Neither has open enrollment for out of zoners- closed due to high demand. VERY family oriented where the kids ride their bikes and you don't have to worry (because besides you there are several neighbors watching out for them too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or