U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,183,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We lived in an almost new rental home for a few months while our home here was being built. I noticed that a lot of drywall debris and dust had been swept into the air ducts at floor level by the contractor's people. That could be an issue for you.
Hi, Mike. Very possible. My vents are 7' high, so I thought that would be why surfaces are covered once central a/c is turned on. Interesting thing is for 2-days now, I've had the a/c off & on all day & there are no prints for the 1st time in 3-mos.

Either all the junk spewed out of the vents & I'm okay now... AND/OR... I've also noticed these are the 1st 2-days it's not windy outside my terrace. I live in an open area across from the parking structure where the wind normally whips right into my flat. I think you might have been right the 1st time... all that white soot (which is on my windows outside & covers the terrace) might be blowing inside through small cracks & crevices.

Interestingly, these are the only 2-days I've been in Denver where I'm not coughing, choking & sneezing all day long without OTC allergy pills. In any event, of course once I posted, it cleared up... since the vents seem to be okay now (or the junk was never coming from them), I'll have to wait 'til the wind picks up again & see what happens.

Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM

345 posts, read 784,203 times
I have no idea if it is or not but do you have a lot of Cottonwood trees around you?
Even the Cotton-less ones spew their white seeds all over. Not sure if any of it gets powdery.
My neighbors have them and at times along the driveway it looks like it has snowed.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I have no idea if it is or not but do you have a lot of Cottonwood trees around you?
Even the Cotton-less ones spew their white seeds all over. Not sure if any of it gets powdery.
My neighbors have them and at times along the driveway it looks like it has snowed.
I've lived in the inner city all of my life. I've barely seen trees prior to moving here. There are trees around me... have no idea what they are, but this is dusty, not seeds or blossoms. The trees have green leaves... I never saw any flowers or buds. There is no smell to the dirt either, like a plant might have.

I'm going to have to say it's outdoor dust, dirt, perhaps combined with a/c debris which now appears to have blown itself out. For the first time (almost 3-days now), I'm not coughing, rubbing my eyes, sneezing or taking allergy pills, so I'm keeping fingers crossed that this is the end of 'it'. As I mentioned before, I've never had allergies anywhere... but, I do not enjoy my bldg... hopefully, 9-mos will tick by quickly when my lease is up.

Thanks...

Old 08-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Default Update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We lived in an almost new rental home for a few months while our home here was being built. I noticed that a lot of drywall debris and dust had been swept into the air ducts at floor level by the contractor's people. That could be an issue for you.
Mike & Hammer... turns out you were both right. I had a contractor friend check out the dust/vents... he said it was drywall dust from debris workers had no doubt left in the vents whilst doing repairs. Too bad that by the time he got to it, all of it had spewed out & is a non-issue now.

I visited the rental office to have them check it out. Maintenance gave me every excuse in the world as to why a vent cleaning wasn't needed & it was just me... I'm not used to the dry air, I'm not using the proper cleaners so it's leaving a film on every single thing in my flat, I just have asthma issues, the dust from my comforters could have travelled up into the vents (what do they think, I'm Pigpen from Charlie Brown & own 100 comforters) & on & on. I was so insulted at being told how dumb I was I almost screamed at them & just told them to leave if they weren't going to offer a helpful solution... i.e., clean the bloody vents.

The best part, asthma/allergies/constant hacking & coughing disappeared as soon as the debris stopped spewing out of the vents. I'm no longer hating coming home. Too bad my mate wasn't around sooner... he said he'd have visited the office, dragged maintenance by the collar up to my flat & even supplied the ladder so they could vacuum out the vents.

Pain in my bleedin' be-hind... but, it's now resolved. Thanks to everyone, especially Mike & Hammer, for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or