Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM

339 posts, read 1,287,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
I think people might not be used to hanging around a person in the minority here, and they feel uncomfortable/awkward and feel better by getting it out in the open by talking about it. It might be their way of coping with an awkward situation (even though it's not awkward for you). I'm from FL/NC, so I'm just speculating here.

I been trying to tell people here about that but they swear up and down it's just me. There's a reason I talk about these things. I wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't happening.

I find the straight people in Denver are a lot further along and don't be bringing up all that foolishness. But the gay people here sure make me known I'm Black and 'different' and can't seem to see it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycubby View Post
Great review! My husband and I are also 20 somethings without kids, planning a move to Denver from TN. Do you know of any nice areas for a studio or 1 br apartment under $750/ mo?

My daughter rents a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Castle Rock (in the large apartment complex in back of the outlet mall) for $750, so I assume there are less expensive 1 bedroom units somewhere in the area.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
Thanks, my wife and I are in the upper 20's and I have been eyeballing Denver. Your post was great.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Welp, I've been here almost a year now, I see my old post was bumped. Might as well chime in as some folks told me to "wait a few months" before judging the city, as the newness might've still had me under a spell. Nope. My opinions of Denver has only grown.

Been making a lot of friends, some of who are really plugged into the local scene. Love the underground scene here, I've been exposed to music genres I've never even heard of before.

Huge sports fan, I went to several Broncos games last year, ROckies, Nuggets, Avalance. What a great sports town. A lot of loyal, rabid fans around here.

With the help of Yelp, we've been hitting a bunch of hole in the wall mom and pop spots, and the food is delicious. No, it's not a Chicago, NY or LA, bu there is plenty of authentic cuisine around here if you do some homework.

The cost of living still continues to amaze me. My friends back home in DC are paying over $1,600 a month for 1 bedroom apartments. The mortgage on our new construction home is hundreds less than that.

Contrary to what some folks have said on this forum, I've not had any trouble meeting people at all. I've met several of our close friends by just casually chatting with folks at the bar or at a sporting event.

Born and raised in DC, lived in Charlotte, San Antonio, and Seattle....but Denver is BY FAR the coolest city I've ever lived in.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 PM
WiW

167 posts, read 577,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Welp, I've been here almost a year now, I see my old post was bumped. Might as well chime in as some folks told me to "wait a few months" before judging the city, as the newness might've still had me under a spell. Nope. My opinions of Denver has only grown.

Been making a lot of friends, some of who are really plugged into the local scene. Love the underground scene here, I've been exposed to music genres I've never even heard of before.

Huge sports fan, I went to several Broncos games last year, ROckies, Nuggets, Avalance. What a great sports town. A lot of loyal, rabid fans around here.

With the help of Yelp, we've been hitting a bunch of hole in the wall mom and pop spots, and the food is delicious. No, it's not a Chicago, NY or LA, bu there is plenty of authentic cuisine around here if you do some homework.

The cost of living still continues to amaze me. My friends back home in DC are paying over $1,600 a month for 1 bedroom apartments. The mortgage on our new construction home is hundreds less than that.

Contrary to what some folks have said on this forum, I've not had any trouble meeting people at all. I've met several of our close friends by just casually chatting with folks at the bar or at a sporting event.

Born and raised in DC, lived in Charlotte, San Antonio, and Seattle....but Denver is BY FAR the coolest city I've ever lived in.
I'm probably a good deal older than you, but our experience over the past year - our first in Denver - matches yours very closely.

We have used meetup.com and have made quite a few friends. Just a year here, and we feel like it is home.

We love it here & are staying.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 889 times
I am a single 43 year old African American woman thinking of moving 2 Denver not sure what city I should look n2 for living as well as Employment. Born & raised n Los Angeles California I haved lived n Dallas Tx. Seattle, Germany, Oregon I have been employed with 1 of the top Hospitals for the past 15 years but its time for change!! Any Advice??? Please Help the City Gal

Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM

525 posts, read 719,218 times
I really enjoyed my visit in Denver for a conference last year. I had the chance to do some sightseeing. I was impressed that the light rail on 16th St. is free.

Maybe it was just the winter but I saw nothing but brown grass from the airport to Downtown. Despite brown grass, the view of Rockies in the background was beautiful.

Do you ever get the feeling that Denver is pretty isolated from the rest of the country? The closest cities are very far such as Kansas City, Omaha, Salt Lake City, and Albequrque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver