U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,382 times

Advertisements

i've lived in NY for a long period of time and i can't deny it Denver is one of the best city so far. I now live in Paris France different scenery but Colorado rocks. Cherry Creek mall, museums, parks. Denver has it all; Denver must be one of the most underrated city in America. I love Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

88 posts, read 192,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a great place to live!

I have lived all over the country. I grew up in DC for 20 years, lived in both North and South Carolina, San Antonio, and Seattle.

My wife and I agree that Denver is BY FAR the best place we've ever lived. We are in our late 20's, and the Denver metro area has everything you could want.

The city itself. Very clean. Denver has the cleanest downtown I've ever seen. the Highways are clean, the roads are kept up well (for the most part), and you can see the Rocky Mountains from just about every highway in the metro area. Absolutely freaking beautiful. I've never lived in such a pretty city. Denver is also a very safe city. Obviously it depends on what part of town you live in, but we don't really hear about a lot of crazy stuff on the news compared to other big cities we've lived in. There seems to be very few "ghetto" areas, and those are mostly east of the city. and even those areas aren't that bad compared to other big cities.

Demographics.
Being educated, black 20-somethings, we noticed that Denver's black population was under 10%, which didn't worry us, but thought might make us stand out a bit. But we aren't bothered at all by that. Pretty much everywhere we go, there seems to be a good mix of people. We certainly don't feel out of place anywhere we've been so far.

Sports. We've only been here since May 23rd, and we've already been to several Rockies games, and I can't wait for the Broncos and Nuggets to start playing (if they ever solve the lockout issues). They also have an NHL hockey team and several other pro teams, and Denver is considered one of the greatest sports cities in the country.

Traffic. Like any big city, the traffic does get kinda crazy around rush hour, but not too bad. The big problem here are the drivers themselves. You Denver people are freaking crazy LOL. make sure you've got your head on a swivel when merging onto the highway, because it seems like half the people on the road aren't paying attention, speeding (20+ over), or are on the phone.

Eating.
Living in DC, Charlotte, and Seattle, my wife and I have been spoiled with having plenty of places to eat everywhere we've lived. We are not interested in Applebees or Chilis (not that those places aren't good). But we prefer the mom and pop places. The hole in the wall restaurants. There are a ton of them around the denver area. Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian, seafood, Greek, German, etc. You name it, Denver has it. Very active eating scene here.

Shopping. Plenty of it. There is a "mills" here, and at least 5-6 big shopping malls. That's all.

Things to do. All kinds of activities for families and adults. More bike trails than any other city in the country. The Rocky mountains are less than 30 minutes away. Plenty of parks all over the metro area to picnic, play basketball/softball/soccer, movie theaters all over the place, plenty of shopping, all the major concert tours come through here, six flags theme park, a water park, plenty of museums and art galleries, a big theater/performing arts scene. I could go on and on. Plenty of stuff to do around here.

Cost of Living. Very reasonable compared to other large cities in America. Depending on what part of town you live in, you can get pretty good deals on new construction homes or resales.

Schools. I'm not very familiar with east Denver, but we are told that the area we are building (Lone Tree/Parker) have great schools and most of the Denver area as a whole has a pretty good school system. We don't have kids yet, so this wasn't a huge thing for us.

Job Market.
My job transferred me here, and the bulk of my company's jobs are based in the Denver area. There is an enormous amount of federal jobs here. After DC, Denver Colorado has more fed jobs than anywhere else in the country. The Denver Tech Center is it's own part of town, and there are hundreds of companies based in that area. There seems to be pages and pages of job opportunities on all the major online job sites, so I'd say the Denver job market is doing pretty well.

Well, there is probably a lot of stuff that I missed, but it is almost 11:00 PM here and I've got to work in the morning. But I just wanted to make this thread because I actually discovered the City-Data website when researching the Denver area before we moved here. Thought I'd try to help answer some questions for folks who might be considering a move to Colorado and are looking for answers. That's my two cents so far. Denver is a GREAT place to live, and my wife and I plan on spending the next 30 years here. Denver rocks!
Hey, I really appreciate your post. I am thinking of planning to move to Denver (from CA, a place I ended up at the worst time because I had no choice at the time). I do not have a career going right now and so my moving would be an adventure. I am working as a substitute teacher right now. It was a way to get back to the workforce after illness and recovery. I will have to figure out what kinds of job I will look for to make ends meet. I have Chemistry degrees though very old now. Did study Computer Info System but haven;t worked in IT cus I ended up in CA at the wrong time. But I am thinking to review some sub areas of IT. Anyway, if you or anyone can think of any job I can try, let me know.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
Ever think it could be your attitude? Denver is a big guy town, you should have no problems if you are looking for a guy.

Well, that's encouraging info for a change after hearing "there are more women than men", etc. Not that my decision to move would be based on that. I am not particularly young though still considrred very attractive. But I take pride in my intelligence more.

My decision to move is based on the job info I got from an old family friend I met this past week + the memory I have of Denver on my way to rocky Mountains in summer 1987 + now the info I got form city-data.

My concerns are about finding a place. Aside from the apartments, I wonder whether there is a culture of renting rooms out of a house, etc. like in CA. I would prefer an apartment, even if a small one, as long as it is VERY clean (due to my non-allergic rhinitis). Any info would be appreciated.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
Actually, from what I noticed here in Denver is the fact that it seems so many of the Black people here are oppressed

I go downtown every week to a salon, and today I took a hard and deep look around. I have barely seen a single professional or at the very least half-decent looking Black person around.

Now, I'm sure the topic of the elected Black mayor will come up but I look around and it doesn't quite change that. In addition, I mentioned this in a Salt Lake City post when I considered moving there, but it seems like the main type of White guys I've had who wanted to date me here are generally the destitute and the poor. The guy with no car, barely getting by. It's like damn, I'm a stable, athletic good looking Black person with my own creature comforts...I shouldn't have this much issue finding a decent White guy to date. Much less many of them seem to have no desire to speak to me

But when I put 2 and 2 together, it seems like many of the White people here who actually have something going for themselves dismiss me as dating material automatically because I'm Black. And I say that because they will give off the impression that they are unavailable to me, but then I see them again and they are totally content to surround themselves around Whites. But when I look around the city and see how many of the Black people are presenting themselves I almost see why The few Black people that I have met here with something going for themselves have been sent here for job-related purposes from out of state. And then the few Black people here who have surrounded themselves around the White 'crowd' have more than likely lived here their whole life. They practically grew up together. But it's not so easy for a single, new Black person who just came in from another state. They see me as being Black and have a whole list of preconceived notions about me before they even know me.

I'm sorry to be a downer, but I just feel there's more to be said about the city that should be taken into consideration. But like I said, if you're already married and don't have to deal with what I deal with then of course I can see how wonderful it can seem. And plus you have a job lined up..you're good to go. I'm trying to give myself a chance to like it and I really DON'T want to move because I have such a wonderful place here...but at the same time with the way things have been going here in my personal life it's hard to really want to stay out here. I really don't have any GOOD reason to stay out here. No family, no friends, no boyfriend, my job can take me wherever I want to be. And I don't like the position that I have to play as a Black person out here. Always being overlooked for someone who is White or Hispanic and even if I end up finding someone worthwhile, if we break up I have to wait several more months-a year or more to find someone else?

Thinking about moving to Denver? I've been here for 8 months. Those were my observations.

Thank you for your observation. I sympathize with your situation. It makes me wonder about the population of non white, non blacks, non Hispanic in Denver and the dating scene between White and Asian. I assume that there won't be much dating between Black and Asian since the black population is so low. Even in CA, I don't see much between Hispanics and Asians and so I don't think there is any. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM

59 posts, read 177,096 times
Happy to hear you love it as much as I do! I have also lived in a few other places and I LOVE Denver!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

78 posts, read 170,409 times
Happy to hear about people who live in Denver and love it. I moved to take a job in another city 2 months ago, because I couldn'd find ANY job in my field in Denver, and I miss Denver big time. I like it much better than where I live now but having a job vs. unemloyment is the one, and only, thing better about where I am. For those of you lucky enough to be there, Appreciate Denver!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 AM

121 posts, read 171,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a great place to live!

I have lived all over the country. I grew up in DC for 20 years, lived in both North and South Carolina, San Antonio, and Seattle.

My wife and I agree that Denver is BY FAR the best place we've ever lived. We are in our late 20's, and the Denver metro area has everything you could want.....Denver rocks!
Wow, I want to move to Denver now!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-19-2011 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Not always necessary to quote the full posting, sometimes a snippet is all you need.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

229 posts, read 361,909 times
amen to all of this.....like I've always said, people who come here get it and understand what quality of life means. Others.....well please stay in your respective megaopolis cities .

Old 07-21-2011, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,019 times
Thanks, this is a move I have been wanting to make for some time now. I live in Houston, Tx and I want to move somewhere different. How is the Job Market there? Shebra

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM

230 posts, read 349,853 times
Do you think people that move to Denver tend to retire there? I'm still trying to get a feel for the weather. Or do they flee south to AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or