Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM

106 posts, read 372,760 times

Advertisements

Sounds great! I was just there for an interview, so hopefully I'll be moving there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Great post. We can definitely use more positive energy in this forum! Just keep in mind, whether you like or hate a place, one month is not enough time to truly get to know a place. Right now you're in the "infatuation" phase, which is great-- and I hope you'll continue to enjoy it. From reading your post, I think you will. It really takes at least one full year (get through one whole winter), and after about 3 years you'll know all the ins and outs, pros and cons, and know for sure if Denver is your new found life long home and be able to give advice to others.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Sports. We've only been here since May 23rd, and we've already been to several Rockies games, and I can't wait for the Broncos and Nuggets to start playing (if they ever solve the lockout issues). They also have an NHL hockey team and several other pro teams, and Denver is considered one of the greatest sports cities in the country.
Don't forget the RAPIDS! I don't know why I waited so long, but I only recently went to my first Rapids game and it was so much fun! I was impressed by the stadium and the fans were great. I played soccer when I was a kid but never really followed professional soccer, but now I can't wait to go again!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I lived there for 21 years, mostly in Montgomery County.

I went to one Redskins game, it was also the last game for Joe Theisman.

YouTube - ‪Lawrence Taylor Hit‬‏
wow, a memorable one to be sure. Every time I think of theisman, that image runs in my head in super-slow-mo. ick .

Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,937 times
Default Just moved here from D.C.-

Hello - I have been in Littleton, CO. about 2 1/2 weeks now, I moved from the D.C. Metro area. What a change.

D.C. is very competitive in the job market; I think Denver is also competitive to a different degree.

I expected to be working immediately when I arrived here.

Unfortunately, I am still currently looking for Administrative/Clerical/HR openings if anyone has a reference.

I think I have done more here in 2 1/2 weeks than my years in D.C..
(hiking on trails, watching people kayaking and canoeing, viewing wildlife)

Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,330 times
Nice post. I'm starting out on my move from DC to Denver. I'm spending the summer here to make sure the feel is right and I love it as much as I have on visits. I've never lived on the west coast, just DC, Western NY and Germany. Denver's pace reminded me of all the things I loved about the easy going nature of Europe. Glad to hear as a foodie I won't be disappointed. The one area you didn't mention were social networks. How easy has it been to meet people?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a great place to live!
My wife and I agree that Denver is BY FAR the best place we've ever lived. We are in our late 20's, and the Denver metro area has everything you could want.

Demographics.
Being educated, black 20-somethings, we noticed that Denver's black population was under 10%, which didn't worry us, but thought might make us stand out a bit. But we aren't bothered at all by that. Pretty much everywhere we go, there seems to be a good mix of people. We certainly don't feel out of place anywhere we've been so far.

and my wife and I plan on spending the next 30 years here. Denver rocks!
Just be glad that you were married before you came here...

I have lived in Florida, Dallas, San Antonio and now Denver and I have to say it's been by far the hardest place to date here as a Black person.

I notice most of the White and Hispanic people I come across have no issues dating here yet I haven't met anyone that's lasted for any measurable amount of time since I lived here.

...One reason I'm moving at the end of the month

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just keep in mind, whether you like or hate a place, one month is not enough time to truly get to know a place. Right now you're in the "infatuation" phase, which is great-- and I hope you'll continue to enjoy it. From reading your post, I think you will. It really takes at least one full year (get through one whole winter), and after about 3 years you'll know all the ins and outs, pros and cons, and know for sure if Denver is your new found life long home and be able to give advice to others.
Exactly! I felt the same way when I visited June 2010. Enough to move here. It didn't take me long to figure out that for all the beauty this place possesses it has some deep down hidden issues that have been left un-turned.

But rather than take 3 years I figured the place out in about 4 months. There is no reason that an attractive 20s something Black person like myself can't find people my own age of various backgrounds besides 40+ year old White men that seem to have a REAL desire to get to know me, and possibly further a relationship of some kind much less go out with me. No excuse. Being Black here is still relatively 'new' in the scheme of things. People here still live off the assumption that Black people are "for entertainment purposes only" and not date/relationship worthy and even worse, that we aren't actually attractive but God-forbid you are..."you are unusually hot for a Black person" Only in Denver...

I keep forgetting this place is not in the mountains...but rather in the Kansas cornfields just like the Wizard of Oz. And with that brings the most narrow minded, sheltered type of midwestern people that us East-coasters cannot bear to tolerate for any significant amount of time.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 07-08-2011 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,568 times
Great post of Denver! I'm planing on moving there in August, this is pretty cool. How difficult was it for you to find apartments and did you feel their prices were competitive with other metropolitan areas?

Old 07-08-2011, 09:41 AM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post

Exactly! I felt the same way when I visited June 2010. Enough to move here. It didn't take me long to figure out that for all the beauty this place possesses it has some deep down hidden issues that have been left un-turned.
Well I am glad you are moving since many of us know how much you hate it here. I am going to disagree with you that you knew Colorado within 4 months. But I am not thread drifting here about your dating problems.
I am from the East Coast btw.

It takes time to get to know a place. I am glad you like it here Skinsfan and hope you keep on liking it after your first year/Winter

Jill sorry, and unfortunately you may be unemployed for several more months. This is why when people are looking to move here I say job first. It maybe that you run through all your money and are still unemployed. It turns into a very expensive and not so fun vacation and then you have to leave. We are creeping up on 10% unemployment, the last time I looked it was like 9.8 or 9.9% I think.
My friend does the same type of work and in over a year she has not found a job. She ended up working as a pizza delivery person once she was going to loose her apt. Unfortunately it is Summer and the kids have all the unskilled jobs right now. But if you can't find anything that may be what you have to start applying for till you find something.
You probably have done more then in DC because you have more time without a job. Once you get a job those things fall to the wayside. Good luck I hope you find something soon.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post

I have lived in Florida, Dallas, San Antonio and now Denver and I have to say it's been by far the hardest place to date here as a Black person.

I notice most of the White and Hispanic people I come across have no issues dating here yet I haven't met anyone that's lasted for any measurable amount of time since I lived here.

But rather than take 3 years I figured the place out in about 4 months. There is no reason that an attractive 20s something Black person like myself can't find people my own age of various backgrounds besides 40+ year old White men that seem to have a REAL desire to get to know me, and possibly further a relationship of some kind much less go out with me. No excuse. Being Black here is still relatively 'new' in the scheme of things. People here still live off the assumption that Black people are "for entertainment purposes only" and not date/relationship worthy and even worse, that we aren't actually attractive but God-forbid you are..."you are unusually hot for a Black person" Only in Denver...

I keep forgetting this place is not in the mountains...but rather in the Kansas cornfields just like the Wizard of Oz. And with that brings the most narrow minded, sheltered type of midwestern people that us East-coasters cannot bear to tolerate for any significant amount of time.
Ever think it could be your attitude? Denver is a big guy town, you should have no problems if you are looking for a guy.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-08-2011 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver