U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
 
31 posts, read 59,382 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Ok, so here's our story:
We are a young couple (31 n 34 yrs old), with three kids (8, 4 and 1), I am from Puerto Rico, husband has Dominican ancestors. Lived in Miami for a few years (which I hated, but where husband grew up), lived in New Orleans for seven years (including Katrina years) and LOVED it (charm, diversity, jobs, PEOPLE!). Moved to Ft. Lauderdale ONE year ago and kind of hate it here. We live half a mile from the beach, BUT this city is NOT kid-friendly. No museums, good parks, zoo, aquariums, well, you get the point. The beach can only entertain you so much. We know that we want out of Ft. Lauderdale, the point is WHERE to go. We want a down-to-earth city, with things to do outdoors, weather should be kind of mild (being an island girl I don't know about extremely cold harsh winters) but I could LEARN to deal with the cold if all my other boxes are checked; KID FRIENDLY is A MUST as are good schools. Friendly people is also at the top of my list... I AM THE PATHETIC MOM going to the mall everyday for a stroll with the baby. Husband is a Physician, so a job shouldn't be a problem. Have been talking with husband about a move to Stapleton, Denver because of all the rave of it being a kid-friendly utopia. Cost of living is not so much of an issue bc even though we are just starting out, husband's career is very promising and we can always adjust. I am a little bit worried about the lack of diversity in Denver that I have read about so much. I do want to make friends and I'm worried about people finding it hard to become friends with a "Spanish" girl. I've had my good share of people only "considering" my friendship after learning that we are educated folks. So, how would life be for a young, Hispanic family in Stapleton? Discrimination? Racism? Do kids REALLY play outside? Does it live up to your expectations? Do you know your neighbours by name? Are schools way too overcrowded? Is it an all-Caucasian type of community or is there any diversity? Do you feel land-locked? Are the winters too bad? Is it too hard to meet people? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me out! WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?!?! Any input would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:42 PM
 
Location: CO
2,591 posts, read 5,986,362 times
Reputation: 3407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
Ok, so here's our story:
We are a young couple (31 n 34 yrs old), with three kids (8, 4 and 1), I am from Puerto Rico, husband has Dominican ancestors. Lived in Miami for a few years (which I hated, but where husband grew up), lived in New Orleans for seven years (including Katrina years) and LOVED it (charm, diversity, jobs, PEOPLE!). Moved to Ft. Lauderdale ONE year ago and kind of hate it here. We live half a mile from the beach, BUT this city is NOT kid-friendly. No museums, good parks, zoo, aquariums, well, you get the point. The beach can only entertain you so much. We know that we want out of Ft. Lauderdale, the point is WHERE to go. We want a down-to-earth city, with things to do outdoors, weather should be kind of mild (being an island girl I don't know about extremely cold harsh winters) but I could LEARN to deal with the cold if all my other boxes are checked; KID FRIENDLY is A MUST as are good schools. Friendly people is also at the top of my list... I AM THE PATHETIC MOM going to the mall everyday for a stroll with the baby. Husband is a Physician, so a job shouldn't be a problem. Have been talking with husband about a move to Stapleton, Denver because of all the rave of it being a kid-friendly utopia. Cost of living is not so much of an issue bc even though we are just starting out, husband's career is very promising and we can always adjust. I am a little bit worried about the lack of diversity in Denver that I have read about so much. I do want to make friends and I'm worried about people finding it hard to become friends with a "Spanish" girl. I've had my good share of people only "considering" my friendship after learning that we are educated folks. So, how would life be for a young, Hispanic family in Stapleton? Discrimination? Racism? Do kids REALLY play outside? Does it live up to your expectations? Do you know your neighbours by name? Are schools way too overcrowded? Is it an all-Caucasian type of community or is there any diversity? Do you feel land-locked? Are the winters too bad? Is it too hard to meet people? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, help me out! WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?!?! Any input would be EXTREMELY appreciated!
The population of Denver is 42% of Hispanic origin (Colorado is 44%) according to the last census. Stapleton is a newer urban infill area in Denver populated by mostly educated, socially aware folks, including professionals and non-professionals of all stripes. Come visit Denver - your fears are likely overblown and unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Reputation: 10428
You would be fine here (I live in Stapleton). Although it is a majority white people, there are Hispanic people in Stapleton, as well as any other minority. I've heard from neighbors who are minorities that they feel quite comfortable and if you like being social with your neighbors, you would fit right in. My own family is bi-racial and it's a total non-issue.

Kids do play outside, and we watch out for one another. We're within 15 min. or so of the zoo, museums, and lots of things to do with kids. I know every neighbor on my block by name, as well as many on surrounding blocks. We had an impromptu fireworks party Sun. evening on our block A new grade school opens this Fall, so the overcrowding issue seems to have been solved. A new Montessori school will be open soon, and another one is expanding nearby.

You have your choice of a new build or there are plenty of re-sales within Stapleton. Re-sale has the benefit of more shade/mature landscaping, and not living in/near a construction zone for a while. There are also many doctors in Stapleton... probably due to its proximity to the Anschutz campus and other hospitals in Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Just south of Denver since 1989
10,882 posts, read 29,307,638 times
Reputation: 7085
I don't put labels on people because of their origin.

I do tend to like nice, friendly, considerate people who like to enjoy life and laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
 
31 posts, read 59,382 times
Reputation: 41
Thanks ya'll for your prompt replies! Packing up three kids and moving yet again in such a short period might not seem like a big deal, but IT IS. I HATE moving! lol A cross country move is NOT ever easy, especially when you have to pack the kiddos and start all over again. We want this next move to be our LAST move and our next home to be the house where our kids will visit from college and bring their own kids to see "nana". I've read SOOO much about Stapleton and it just seems to fit right with what we've been dreaming of... I am SUPER extroverted and friendly and yet it has been a complete pain making friends with anyone down here in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm hoping it'll be different the next time around. We like to think that we are one cool bunch; hopefully, we'll fit right in if when and if we decide to make our way to Stapleton. Husband visited and LOVED the city. We'll go this fall/winter to make sure we like it when it's a bit colder... if I pass the fall/winter test, then the summers should be a bliss!

Thanks again for the input... Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari_1026 View Post
Thanks ya'll for your prompt replies! Packing up three kids and moving yet again in such a short period might not seem like a big deal, but IT IS. I HATE moving! lol A cross country move is NOT ever easy, especially when you have to pack the kiddos and start all over again. We want this next move to be our LAST move and our next home to be the house where our kids will visit from college and bring their own kids to see "nana". I've read SOOO much about Stapleton and it just seems to fit right with what we've been dreaming of... I am SUPER extroverted and friendly and yet it has been a complete pain making friends with anyone down here in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm hoping it'll be different the next time around. We like to think that we are one cool bunch; hopefully, we'll fit right in if when and if we decide to make our way to Stapleton. Husband visited and LOVED the city. We'll go this fall/winter to make sure we like it when it's a bit colder... if I pass the fall/winter test, then the summers should be a bliss!

Thanks again for the input... Keep it coming!
Summer isn't humid, and although it can get quite hot (99 yesterday), it doesn't feel that bad, and cools down considerably in the evening. In Summer, we tend to wait to go out with the kids until later in the evening when it's cooler. Winter is just crazy with temperatures all over the place. But Summer is great for outdoor living here and Winter isn't always too cold.

We had new neighbors move in a couple months ago from the Northeast and they were immediately invited to our block party. They already love it here. Your kids would have an endless supply of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
 
694 posts, read 1,788,805 times
Reputation: 479
If hubby finds work in Boulder/Lafayette/Louisville area, have a look at my neighborhood, Bradburn Village in Westminster. Is like Stapleton (super social, kid friendly, great schools, walkable), but much smaller--we love social people and could care less about your race!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Reputation: 10428
Oh, and I almost forgot. Stapleton hosts Denver's Taste of Puerto Rico every June ---> A Taste Of Puerto Rico Festival Tickets at Stapleton's Central Park in Denver, CO - Zvents

We went this year and the music and food was great. And depending on where your husband works, Bradburn is also a great option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Reputation: 19058
mari_1026: Welcome to City-Data. You're gonna LOVE Colorado.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,880,579 times
Reputation: 5429
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
The population of Denver is 42% of Hispanic origin (Colorado is 44%) according to the last census. Stapleton is a newer urban infill area in Denver populated by mostly educated, socially aware folks, including professionals and non-professionals of all stripes. Come visit Denver - your fears are likely overblown and unrealistic.
For the record: Colorado is only 21% Hispanic/Latino.

There are three basic categories: Hispanics with long time roots in the CO/NM area (family history going back hundreds of years), Recent Mexican immigrants (within the last 25-30 years), and others. There is not a large Central American or Caribbean Hispanic population in the areas.

MOST people in the area are very accepting, but there is a large group that is very anti-illegal immigration and tends to lump all Hispanics in that category--a sort of you're guilty until proven innocent mentality. Sometimes they are your neighbors and co-workers and you never know how they feel until one day they will go off spewing every sort of bad stereotype about Hispanics without caring who hears or apologizing for any bad information or slurs. It can be quite blatant.

I know that I will hear from many people about how that is not so, but all you have to do is read the comments after any Denver Post Online article that has to do with Hispanics, and you will see many overtly racist comments and rants.

Here is a recent article about about a local supermarket that has redesigned its store to cater to the Hispanics living in the area. I take solace in the fact that there are so many people willing to stand up and call out the racist comments, but I am saddened by the number of racist comments made about a non-issue.

It exists. To pretend otherwise is naive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top