Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times

Advertisements

While looking at Stapleton as a possible relocation next year, I'm surprise to see it only earns 42 with Walk Score along with the comment "Car-Dependent."

Since we've never been to Stapleton specifically, although we've visited Denver many times during the years our daughter lived in Boulder, I cannot determine for myself whether the score is correct.

We're retirees and doing our best to drive only when we must. Should we ignore the score and believe instead that everything is within walking distance in that neighborhood? If so, why the low score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
most of the shopping in stapleton is big box that requires a car. i don't think there a main street with local shops that you can walk to. "new urbanism" seems to be suburban with smaller yards.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Stapleton is not really that great about proper "new urbanism." At least not yet...it may or may not get there in the future. It's a great neighborhood, and it does have something of a "main street" (albeit on one end of the whole neighborhood), but it would be more appropriate at the moment to call it "new suburban." You can get around great on a bike, there are myriad parks for walking, but given some of the distances between housing and actual commerical / industrial / civic infrastructure, I can see why Walk Score gives us such low marks.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 AM

According to Walk Score, within 1.1 miles of the address I entered, there are 15 restaurants, 3 parks, 1 library, 4 bars, 3 cinemas, 5 markets, 2 pharmacies, 1 legal marijuana dispensary, and 9 banks.

All the big boxes and a whole lot more are within 2 miles.

I wonder why that many shops and POIs do not help to raise the score? Is 1.1 miles too far to walk for most people? We walk 5 miles daily as part of our exercise but not in high altitude, so perhaps that does not count. When we need something from the market, we do walk 1.5 miles each way while carrying bags of groceries.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 06-24-2011 at 02:30 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
It's a great neighborhood, and it does have something of a "main street" (albeit on one end of the whole neighborhood)
Which street is it? The address I'm looking at is on Roslyn, between E.28th Ave and E.29th Ave, is it near the end of the neighborhood you mentioned?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
most of the shopping in stapleton is big box that requires a car. i don't think there a main street with local shops that you can walk to. "new urbanism" seems to be suburban with smaller yards.
That is so true, and with limited parking. Even though you need a car to get anywhere to shop.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Where does one search for walk scores?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Where does one search for walk scores?
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,332,326 times
WalkScore basically uses a formula that takes the type of POI into account, too. So for instance, if an address is within walking distance of, say, a lot of boutique clothing stores and coffee shops, but isn't within walking distance of a grocery store or a library, the WalkScore still might be on the low side, since one would have to drive to the grocery store to buy food or drive to the library to use it. Etc. At least this is my understanding of how it works.

I like Stapleton, but most of the amenities are on the edges of the development, at least for now, so it's possible for a Stapleton home to have a low WalkScore.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:41 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
I think you are right cowboy. And to the OP, the walk score to me is just a guide, as you don't know if it will fit you personally. Compared to my area (Thornton or NoTho haha) Stapleton is a dream as to walkability. So it's kind of relative. I love Stapleton and want to move there if I can ever unload my house in Thornton. It's walkable enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver