U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nah! In MN, at least the Minneapolis area, it usually doesn't snow until Nov, and is done by April.
Maybe like North Dakota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM

726 posts, read 1,865,365 times
I think what makes Denver unique is that it can snow a couple feet in October but be in the 70s in November. Other places might not see snow as early as Denver but once it gets cold it rarely goes back up. When I was in Western NY once November rolled around that was it until April. At least here we can have a week in January when it's 60. And because it drier and sunnier the ground isn't a mushy mud swamp enabling us to golf year round!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,052,603 times
So, back on the topic of the importance of owning a truck or suv in Denver.... it really boils down to what a person's driving requirements are. For most driving in this region, the consensus of many threads indicates the Subaru Outback with symmetrical all wheel drive is the preferred car, but most any good car/suv with front wheel drive or four wheel drive will do fine. Special requirements like towing or frequent deep mountain snow driving may alter the preferred choice or vehicle and/or tires. Many folks get around the city just fine with a simple family car.

Ok gang, did I capture it about right?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

111 posts, read 255,797 times
You should really weigh your own personal pros and cons. When I first moved to Denver I had an Audi that was on its way out. The Quattro was great, but I needed a bit more. So I got a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, which was a great purchase for me. I spent most weekends in the mountains with friends, so I needed cargo space and 4WD for the snow. If this wasn't the case I may have opted for an AWD car just so when it did snow significantly I was prepared.

Do you need a 4x4 in CO?? Maybe, you just need to know what you need it for, or else what other people suggested will be just fine.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,043,389 times
Yeah it really depend on your needs. I have both a FWD small car and a subaru AWD with good traction control. Using all weather tires, there's definitely better snow handling with the subaru. If you don't mind taking it slowly with the FWD light weight car you shouldn't have an issue with most snow driving. The biggest issue for me is when I have to stop, sometimes it's really difficult to start again if you only have 2 tires trying to grip the snow (especially with kinda bald tires..).

Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think what makes Denver unique is that it can snow a couple feet in October but be in the 70s in November. Other places might not see snow as early as Denver but once it gets cold it rarely goes back up. When I was in Western NY once November rolled around that was it until April. At least here we can have a week in January when it's 60. And because it drier and sunnier the ground isn't a mushy mud swamp enabling us to golf year round!
Indian summer, I don't think is unique to Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or