U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

12 posts, read 8,410 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are considering moving to the Denver area. I have been to Denver several times for work and love it. A little background before I dive in...I am originally from Florida, though raised in the Western part of North Carolina. DH was born and raised in North Carolina. Last April, we moved to DC as my job transferred me here. We were excited to access all the amenities of a larger city, but knew that DC would not be a permanent thing for us. We love the outdoors (hiking, camping, mountain biking) and four seasons.

We both agree that we would be very happy in Denver, but my ONLY hesitation is that a beach is not easily accessible, as I am accustom to. For anyone from the East or West coasts, is this ever an issue for you? I've noticed there are plenty of lakes in the area, several of which allow gas boats, so it sounds like there is still water recreation available. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM

11,165 posts, read 12,802,180 times
Not really. I moved here from Orange County. Guess I've had enough of the beach!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM

4,267 posts, read 3,084,970 times
Yes, I still miss the beach. I miss the lakes and rivers too. There's water here but just not much. The water is one of the biggest things that I miss about living near the coast.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,229,805 times
Moved from Daytona Beach and I don't miss the beach, there's a lot better stuff here to make up for it

Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM

108 posts, read 167,495 times
Being from the Northeast, some say they will miss the beach. But really the only thing I would miss is maybe the sand and sun. And I wouldn't even really miss the sand that much, it gets EVERYWHERE and you can never get rid of it. Besides, what's to miss about 60 degree salt water. It's not refreshing on a hot summer day, it's FREEZING. But I agree, there's other things in the area that will occupy you rather than going to the beach. Of course, you can surely find anyone with a pool !!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 4,772,713 times
Being raised on the east coast, I very much missed the ocean in the thirty years I lived in Colorado. Vacations were to the west coast and dipping my feet in the ocean. When we retired, we moved to Hawaii, where I can see and smell and be in the water every day. Colorado is a beautiful state, and now we vacation there.

Denver is a lot drier than what you are used to on the east coast. There is no bountiful spring that you are used to, and the winters are brown (although the sky is a gorgeous blue year round).

Old 07-08-2011, 03:54 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,737,226 times
Everyone's going to have a different opinion about this. I don't miss the beach, having lived near it most of my life. I'm a pretty easy going guy though, and I adapt to whatever environment I'm in pretty quickly.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,332,033 times
I lived in a house less than half a block from Main Beach in Laguna Beach (California) for more than 50 years, woke up every morning and went to bed every night with the sound of the wave, ran track and played football on the sand, body surfed daily rain or shine, etc. Didn't miss it at all when we moved to a house in a valley in Europe.

When we traveled, we always tried to spend some time at all the foreign beaches, but I would say it was due more to an attraction than nostalgia. Right now, we live in Florida on a saltwater canal within walking distance from the harbor, and we like it very much, but I wouldn't say the nearness of water is the only reason for my contentment either.

We will move to the Denver Metro Area next year, and I'm sure I'll like the mountain as much as I liked the beach in Laguna, the valley in Central Italy, or the canal in Southwest Florida.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,568,102 times
I don't miss the beach but I do miss excellent quality seafood!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,366,786 times
Yeah, but there are planes and dinky reservoirs for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver