U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM

82 posts, read 182,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm not sure if that's true, I make quite a bit more than 60K and I'm an IT Systems Admin non manager of any kind. Don't have any current certifications, just have 10 years of experience. Got a job from out of state also, seems like things are much better here than a lot of places.
That's definitely contrary to what I've heard. It also depends on what kind of admin you are. My cousin says Windows and Cisco people are a dime a dozen while CNC's (whatever that is) are hard to find.

He is not in Denver though but he is instate and he says it is hard to find a job there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 AM

16 posts, read 20,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinslv View Post
My cousin says Windows and Cisco people are a dime a dozen while CNC's (whatever that is) are hard to find.
That's like saying cops, doctors, and teachers are a dime a dozen. Regardless, by the time we move in 12+ months my experience will increase and will probably pick up pro level certs. The population in Denver is fairly equal to Vegas and based on the numbers I have seen on the major job sites, there are 10 times more jobs in Denver. How could I go wrong?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,301,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinslv View Post
That's definitely contrary to what I've heard. It also depends on what kind of admin you are. My cousin says Windows and Cisco people are a dime a dozen while CNC's (whatever that is) are hard to find.

He is not in Denver though but he is instate and he says it is hard to find a job there.
I'm sure there are quite a few out there, but from my own experience and interviewing a ton of people, hardly any of them actually know what they are doing.

So many people put things on their resume that they've done but yet can't answer simple technical questions about it

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoeneous View Post
That's like saying cops, doctors, and teachers are a dime a dozen. Regardless, by the time we move in 12+ months my experience will increase and will probably pick up pro level certs. The population in Denver is fairly equal to Vegas and based on the numbers I have seen on the major job sites, there are 10 times more jobs in Denver. How could I go wrong?
Uh..okie dokie then....

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm sure there are quite a few out there, but from my own experience and interviewing a ton of people, hardly any of them actually know what they are doing.

So many people put things on their resume that they've done but yet can't answer simple technical questions about it
Haven't run into that but then again I've it's been two years since I've sat in on an interview panel.

Although, for this last job, I had to take a test though and I guess that weeded out a lot of folks.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM

12,252 posts, read 8,040,413 times
I am in the IT world and I have to say it is not hard to find work if you have the experience, which you do. Check into companies in the Denver Tech Center. I moved here 12 years ago with a tech job lined up. 5 years ago I found a new job pretty easily. It also wouldn't hurt to know somebody here that is in the industry. With a combined income of $110,000 you should have no problem finding a good home. Good luck!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM

75 posts, read 179,453 times
Feel free to PM me, I'm in the IT staffing industry and routinely fill positions such as the type you're looking for. The market is significantly better now than it was last year or the year before. Being out of state is a challenge, but not impossible, as some of my clients are still interested as long as you're willing to relocate on your own dime.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
My spouse's job resulted from personal networking. He had his eye on a particular company, called someone he knew as a customer a few years ago, and a couple of weeks later he received an offer.

Edit: Ran your post by spouse, and he thinks you're definitely employable here in Denver. Also says your door to higher salary is CCIE.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 07-13-2011 at 06:29 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 20,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I am in the IT world and I have to say it is not hard to find work if you have the experience, which you do. Check into companies in the Denver Tech Center. I moved here 12 years ago with a tech job lined up. 5 years ago I found a new job pretty easily. It also wouldn't hurt to know somebody here that is in the industry. With a combined income of $110,000 you should have no problem finding a good home. Good luck!
Thank you. I have a lot to prepare for and luckily my wife and I are starting a year in advance. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in IT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiGolfer View Post
Feel free to PM me, I'm in the IT staffing industry and routinely fill positions such as the type you're looking for. The market is significantly better now than it was last year or the year before. Being out of state is a challenge, but not impossible, as some of my clients are still interested as long as you're willing to relocate on your own dime.
Thank you very much! I will get an updated resume' for you so you can see the details of my experience and qualifications. I do not mind relocating on my own dime at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
My spouse's job resulted from personal networking. He had his eye on a particular company, called someone he knew as a customer a few years ago, and a couple of weeks later he received an offer.

Edit: Ran your post by spouse, and he thinks you're definitely employable here in Denver. Also says your door to higher salary is CCIE.
That is very comforting news. CCIE is no easy task but I agree is very rewarding. I know several CCIE's and those guys are sharp! In 12 months time before we move, I will definitely have CCNP. Thanks again.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

My spouse works in IT. He also says things are better now in IT than they were a year ago when there was little hiring going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or