U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM

792 posts, read 2,013,969 times
The OP asked "Is Denver still Menver?"

Perhaps Boulder and the western slope are Menver, but Denver is good 'ole Denver.
Somewhere someone posted an article online that says "Everyone is a winner in Denver".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
I'm a man who's lived in Denver for many years. During this time I've traveled extensively to both coasts and Europe. My conclusion, mirroring that of my male friends who have moved or travel a lot, is that Denver is the place where you are least likely find a girlfriend.

It is so refreshing to go to New York, Portland or Paris and feel alive again! Women look at me! They want to talk to me. I feel human again.

There are a few reasons for Menver being the way it is. The culture of a location doesn't change quickly. It's not literally a mining town, but Denver was built for exploitation of rare resources. Traditionally young men come here to make good. Women were always scarce. Prostitution was a huge industry. The culture is basically still the same. When there are more men than women, the woman get to feel like a rare resource. What's warped is that women become angry at the over-attention and turn kind of sour.
Walk down the street in Denver. Women will meet your eye less than in New York. That's saying something.

Another factor is geographic. This area is brash and bright and dry and hard. There's not a lot of wet. Not much nurturing soil. There's rock and wind. The land embodies male energy. The Chinese call it yang energy. This in stark contrast to say, the West Coast. I can't speak for CA, but I know Western Oregon. Portland is lush, wet, dark, interior feeling, nurturing of life. And what do you know: lovely women crowding the streets, daring to smile at a man.

By the way, as we speak, I'm packing.

Last edited by Tusnelda; 08-16-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM

965 posts, read 410,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusnelda View Post
I'm a man who's lived in Denver for many years. During this time I've traveled extensively to both coasts and Europe. My conclusion, mirroring that of my male friends who have moved or travel a lot, is that Denver is the place where you are least likely find a girlfriend.

It is so refreshing to go to New York, Portland or Paris and feel alive again! Women look at me! They want to talk to me. I feel human again.

There are a few reasons for Menver being the way it is. The culture of a location doesn't change quickly. It's not literally a mining town, but Denver was built for exploitation of rare resources. Traditionally young men come here to make good. Women were always scarce. Prostitution was a huge industry. The culture is basically still the same. When there are more men than women, the woman get to feel like a rare resource. What's warped is that women become angry at the over-attention and turn kind of sour.
Walk down the street in Denver. Women will meet your eye less than in New York. That's saying something.

Another factor is geographic. This area is brash and bright and dry and hard. There's not a lot of wet. Not much nurturing soil. There's rock and wind. The land embodies male energy. The Chinese call it yang energy. This in stark contrast to say, the West Coast. I can't speak for CA, but I know Western Oregon. Portland is lush, wet, dark, interior feeling, nurturing of life. And what do you know: lovely women crowding the streets, daring to smile at a man.

By the way, as we speak, I'm packing.
Hahaha. I needed a good laugh this morning. Denver's culture is one of exploitative, transient men and brash, unwelcoming, weather-beaten whores (literally) for women?

And Portland women as lush, wet, nurturing and loving. Are you talking about Portland Oregon the unwashed, unshaven, Lesbian capital of the US (alternatively the unshaven, unwashed hipster d-bag capital of the US)?

And as for women being scarce in Denver, the demographic breakdown here is 50.4% men, 49.6% women.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM

2,370 posts, read 3,005,995 times
[quote=Tusnelda;10302047]I'm a man who's lived in Denver for many years. During this time I've traveled extensively to both coasts and Europe. My conclusion, mirroring that of my male friends who have moved or travel a lot, is that Denver is the place where you are least likely find a girlfriend.

scott5280==================

I see your point. Yesterday I was driving around Denver,and while waiting for a stop light I glanced over at an attractive lady in a convertable who was along side of me, then she smiled back . I swear she had to be either a guy in drag, a prostitute or something. I'm telling you it's just so hard to meet women in Denver as they are no where to be found.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:43 PM

355 posts, read 337,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Hahaha. I needed a good laugh this morning. Denver's culture is one of exploitative, transient men and brash, unwelcoming, weather-beaten whores (literally) for women?
And Portland women as lush, wet, nurturing and loving. Are you talking about Portland Oregon the unwashed, unshaven, Lesbian capital of the US (alternatively the unshaven, unwashed hipster d-bag capital of the US)?
Ramanboy & Scott, thank YOU for the good laughs!
Tusnelda... another dude with a big fat chip on his shoulder. Wow. Lookin' for love in all the wrong places I guess.
Don't forget to pack your wang energy and take it with you. Buh-bye!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 AM

16 posts, read 97,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Very interesting, thanks for sharing...

So it looks like NY/NJ/CT is the best region in the US to live if you're a desperate guy looking for a non-hired date. Although, I'm sure even in those states any decent woman would prefer a guy with some confidence.
I'm guessing your a lesbian?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 AM

360 posts, read 703,277 times
^ LOL ^

I too needed a nice laugh. Where do these guys come from, are they so cynical and have so very little self confidence that they have to come up with any excuses for why they have met nobody? Yeah, you know all those lovely girls up there in Portland singing in the rain and winking at the guys on a dark street, seems to happen all the time. Bon voyage.....

Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM

11 posts, read 15,958 times
Default Male to Female Ratio in Denver? Does "Menver" still exist?

Hi,
I have been in Denver for close to 20 years, in and out, back to California and Back here again. I have always lived on or around the Cheeseman area. Been in love twice here and had 2 relationships for a combined time of about 7 years.

Around 2000, this "Menver" thing started up about the skewed ratio of women to men here, that there were 3 guys for every girl, etc...

But as of late, I don't really see it. It actually seems to me that there is always a very even mix of men to women and actually sometimes at the clubs here downtown, it even seems like there are more women than men out...

Statistically speaking, for just the city of Denver there are maybe 7000 more men than women, but in places like Aurora, there are 5000 more women than men, etc, etc.

I am 40 years old now, single, have maybe 4 women that I could date right now if I chose too. I think that maybe the word got out and there have just been a serious influx of women here or...? Maybe it's the ridiculously HUGE gay scene here, who knows..

Funny, I am also on the meetup site and they just had a speed dating event and were giving away FREE passes to the men, because there were like 50 women already RSVP'd and only 7 guys had enrolled.

So in the end, women, with this whole "Menver" thing, if I were you, I would lay this to rest and be careful what you wish for... Just sayin

It would be cool to see what some of the rest of you think about this, your own experiences in dating, etc... Am I wrong?

Last edited by Denver80218; 07-11-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM

5,462 posts, read 14,030,416 times
Several years old, but I seriously doubt anything has changed. See this article in the Boston Globe: A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe.

Denver is Menver, but so is every other city in the western US as well as a few other parts of the country as well.

I've contemplated (not all that seriously though) moving out of Denver to one of those cities with the blue dots specifically to better my chances.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 15,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Several years old, but I seriously doubt anything has changed. See this article in the Boston Globe: A singles map of the United States of America - The Boston Globe.

Denver is Menver, but so is every other city in the western US as well as a few other parts of the country as well.

I've contemplated (not all that seriously though) moving out of Denver to one of those cities with the blue dots specifically to better my chances.
...yeah but that's over 3 years old. Also according to that, there are more men than women in L.A. And I can say from experience that those L.A. girls will almost drug and drag a guy out of a bar. It's crazy in Southern California...

thanks for the input though, anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver