Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,106 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife and I are thinking about moving and the Denver area looks real good from here but you know how it is when you've never really been somewhere before. We live in the Wilmington, NC area, I work in the trades, industrial mechanics and we are in our late 40's. We moved here from the north 14 years ago and didn't know much about this place so before we move again we really want to know what it is we're getting into.
So if anyone could spend a minute or two and answer some of our silly questions I would really appreciate it!

I don't mean to be blunt and I hope I don't offend anyone...

1. Do a lot of people hunt there? I mean is it all about hunting? It is here and we really don't care for it, please don't take it wrong if you do. It just seems to be the only thing anybody ever wants to talk about...lol

2. Are the restaurants and supermarkets clean and do they have good ratings?

3. Do businesses have a pride of ownership sense, I guess what I'm getting at is do you feel comfortable going into places or are things run down leaving you with a feeling that nobody cares?

4. What can 2 people in their late 40's expect to find life like there? I mean are peoples attitudes generally good? It's hard for us here in the south because we're not from here and we don't fit in, it is very conservative here and we are democrats. We're just looking for friends and some place to fit in.

If you've taken the time to read this and could answer any of these questions it would really mean something to us, but also if I could ask you to be honest with us as we are really serious about this. We just don't want to do anything we may later regret.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imac567 View Post
Hi, my wife and I are thinking about moving and the Denver area looks real good from here but you know how it is when you've never really been somewhere before. We live in the Wilmington, NC area, I work in the trades, industrial mechanics and we are in our late 40's. We moved here from the north 14 years ago and didn't know much about this place so before we move again we really want to know what it is we're getting into.
So if anyone could spend a minute or two and answer some of our silly questions I would really appreciate it!

Quote:
1. Do a lot of people hunt there? I mean is it all about hunting? It is here and we really don't care for it, please don't take it wrong if you do. It just seems to be the only thing anybody ever wants to talk about...lol
Do people hunt? YES. Is it all about hunting? NO. People here engage in a variety of outdoor activities and hunting is one of them. Hunting is more a subculture here instead of the main culture.

Quote:
Supermarkets in my area are really clean. The supermarket market here is dominated by a couple of large chains: King Soopers and Safeway with some smaller chains thrown in. Add the Walmarts and Super Targets, and you have quite the competition. Having a dirty market would seriously put a retailer at a disadvantage.

Quote:
3. Do businesses have a pride of ownership sense, I guess what I'm getting at is do you feel comfortable going into places or are things run down leaving you with a feeling that nobody cares?
This varies by business. Run down businesses are not the norm and the shops here seem to be clean, well stocked, and generally full of helpful employees.

Quote:
4. What can 2 people in their late 40's expect to find life like there? I mean are peoples attitudes generally good? It's hard for us here in the south because we're not from here and we don't fit in, it is very conservative here and we are democrats. We're just looking for friends and some place to fit in.
Colorado is a purple state. Our democrats do not tend to be the left-wing California type (as much as the republicans try to paint them that way). They are generally fiscally conservative and socially moderate to liberal. There is a large population of right-wing Republicans based in El Paso and Douglas Counties, but many of the Republicans tend to be moderate as well. There is a large unaffiliated group in Colorado as well. These people will determine the elections in most cases because neither the democrats nor the republicans have a majority of voters in any statewide election.

Quote:
If you've taken the time to read this and could answer any of these questions it would really mean something to us, but also if I could ask you to be honest with us as we are really serious about this. We just don't want to do anything we may later regret.
Thank you
It sounds like you would like Denver. It is politically liberal area with many working class people/small business owners.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:05 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
There's hunting in Denver?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
There's hunting in Denver?
Go to Elway's. There's always cougars stalking and hunting down those 25 year olds.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
Hunting is popular in Colorado, especially deer/elk in the mountains. Fly fishing and outdoor activities in general are what most people are interested in and they will probably talk about those things most of the time.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I know exactly one person in Denver who hunts.

I laughed at the grocery store question. In order to find a dirty one, you have to know the right neighborhoods to go to...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:

Thank you
Denver is a fairly large and diverse area. Are you thinking of a move to the urban Denver core, the suburbs, or a rural area outside Denver?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I don't hunt (it bothers me just to kill ants in my house!) and don't know of anyone who does. If you're in the city of Denver, it's overwhelmingly liberal, and I have yet to hear a conversation about hunting. I'm sure somewhere in this city is a hunter, but I think most hunters probably live in more rural areas.

For health food, we have Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, and Sunflower. I haven't seen a dirty grocery store or any business for that matter in Denver.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I guess I should be more specific. There is no hunting game in Denver, there is in some of the rural parts.

The only hunting I do in Denver is house hunt.

Thanks SuzCo!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I guess I should be more specific. There is no hunting game in Denver, there is in some of the rural parts.

The only hunting I do in Denver is house hunt.

Thanks SuzCo!
What, no bargain hunting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver