Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:16 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

I just watched a seg on the 5 p.m. NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and they showed some hellacious pictures of one storm and a half that went through the Denver metro area yesterday afternoon. Three quarter inch hail? Yikes! Seventy five mile an hour winds at DIA? Double yikes! What's going on over there on the front range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I just watched a seg on the 5 p.m. NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams and they showed some hellacious pictures of one storm and a half that went through the Denver metro area yesterday afternoon. Three quarter inch hail? Yikes! Seventy five mile an hour winds at DIA? Double yikes! What's going on over there on the front range?
Usual summer antics in Hail Alley.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Oddly enough, my neighborhood in SE Denver (~5 miles SE of downtown) received NO hail. I had no idea it even happened until some of my co-workers mentioned it today.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
yesterday was the most intense hail storm i've seen since i moved to denver two years ago. it shattered the wind chimes on our front porch and shredded our vegetable garden

Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Oddly enough, my neighborhood in SE Denver (~5 miles SE of downtown) received NO hail. I had no idea it even happened until some of my co-workers mentioned it today.
Ditto Louisville. OTOH, we've had hail at other times that didn't even make the Channel 9 News, let alone the NBC nightly.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
I've been surprised at how little mention there's been here on C-D of the rains and flooding we've had over the last week.

Today, (July 14), there's lots of flooding of intersections and underpasses in the south part of town - Hampden and Colorado; Oxford and Santa Fe; ramps to I-25 from Santa Fe. . .

Over the past week, there's been flooding of underpasses on the north side - around 38th and Walnut has been a major problem; neighborhoods around Jasmine north of Colfax have been deluged; Four mile canyon, west of Boulder, in the burn area after wildfires last summer, has had mudslides. . . .

The list goes on.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
TV says that Denver has had over 5 inches of rain in the past 7 days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 AM

556 posts, read 1,199,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ditto Louisville. OTOH, we've had hail at other times that didn't even make the Channel 9 News, let alone the NBC nightly.
i was watching the radar and this storm seemed to explode right over downtown denver with nothing to the north or south.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 AM

229 posts, read 423,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
i was watching the radar and this storm seemed to explode right over downtown denver with nothing to the north or south.
Actually this most recent storm didn't really hit downtown at all. The bulk of it was in Centennial and S. Denver (I-25 and Hampden) areas and moved northeast to North Aurora from there. I watched the entire thing on my computer as I work from home and my house was right in the middle of it (25 and Yale) and it was crazy here! My friend who lives in downtown said aside from a bit of rain, they got nothing much today.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Where I live in South Jeffco, we've had a few storms drop rain with some of it being heavy at times. We have had no hail, no flooding, and no problems. This is what happens most of the time during the summer. It seems that all the bad storms either form to the south in Douglas County or the north in Lakewood and parts north. Interestingly, my insurance company contacted me because of all the hail claims that they've had in the Denver area, they seem to be amazed that we've missed out on all the "fun."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver