Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 52,492 times

Advertisements

I am sure it is different than the 80's, but I think everything has changed. I think you will find it refreshing here, relatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM

205 posts, read 503,674 times
Default Can you go home again?

I've lived in Boulder since 1988. I moved here to go to grad school and ended up staying. I don't know where you live now, but I think that it will definitely influence your opinion of how laid back Boulder is. I moved here after growing up in Fairfield county, CT and spending 4 years at NYU. By comparison, Boulder was definitely more low key and relaxed.

Fast forward 23 years - I think that comparison is still valid. I haven't lived there in almost a quarter century, but when I visit, it's still more keyed up than here. Having said that, Boulder is different than when I first moved here. I believe that there is more money and snobbiness (is that even a word?) now. Having said that, would I move from Boulder back to NY? No. I do daydream about it sometimes, but I know that the reality is that life here is both easier and better. Even if you commute to Denver from Boulder, it's still easier than NY.

The only caveat that I'd consider is that you can move back to the place but not the time. Boulder may have changed since 1994, but so have you. You're older now and are at a different point in your life; your point of view will be different. Boulder's not perfect, but it's still pretty good and if you want to come home, you should consider it.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notatexan View Post
Hello.

I grew up in Boulder and haven't lived there since 1994, though I come back regularly enough. My husband and I are considering moving back, but I am concerned that Colorado has changed a lot. We would be leaving a really lucrative situation professionally where we are now, but the reality is that I am tired of living in a place where people are so busy keeping up with the Jones and grooming their image that they have forgotten what matters. In my opinion, it is because people where I live now are really insecure and that makes everyone super competitive, especially the women, it's sad. Now that we are thinking about having kids, I want them to grow up in a place where people have healthy senses of self, where they are secure in themselves enough to not worry if they have the 'right' handbag, are at the 'right' charity event, Boulder was never see and be seen land. Places with greater exposure to nature seem to 'keep it real'. But I do wonder, am I yearning for a community that was based on the 1970s and 80s that just doesn't really exist anymore? I was disappointed to read on another thread several Coloradans preaching at this mother who had asked for a suggestion on where to live, about how she shouldn't be so far away from her kids. They can think what they want to, but I think of Colorado as a very independent and respectful of "each to their own" kind of place. I know there are all kinds of people everywhere, but I am tired of judgmental, preachy people. Are there any places out there where no one is ranking each other? In Boulder, kids at my high school drove jaguars and kids drove VW buses, and it didn't define who you were whatsoever. Where are the laid back, intelligent people living? I am 35, would like best of all worlds, spacious house with land and views but walking distance to coffee shops, used book stores, ethnic restaurants. Am I searching for the fantasy that was my youth?
I think you may be underestimating how ubiquitous the "keeping up with the Jones" mindset has been in this country for most of the last 30 years. The Fort Collins middle-class in the 90's and 00s certainly got caught up in the whole big house, big expensive vehicle, lots of expensive toys race. And we're supposed to be so much more "down-to-earth" then Boulder. But I'm a firm believer in the merits of small, western cities and believe that if you are coming from a large metro area, you will still find Boulder to be fairly laid-back.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:38 PM

57 posts, read 169,033 times
We moved from Boston to Denver a year back and most say (no doubt) people in general in Boston area are more down to earth and less into "keeping up with the Jones" than in the Denver area - The tendency to "keeping up with the Jones" was the big disappointment by moving here - lots of other thinks that for us made it worth it. Don't move to Denver area for down to earth and laid-back people:-).

Last edited by AMPL; 07-18-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM

698 posts, read 2,047,301 times
AMPL: Where in Denver do you live? I think that's interesting because it's so different than my experience. What, exactly are people doing in Denver that gives you that impression? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

I was thinking, what would be people do in general that would make them "keeping up with the jonseses" types? So I thought: people who only discussed superficial things (like appearance), people who were overly concerned with what people had or didn't have (expensive cars, etc)--what else does everyone else think would qualify?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM

120 posts, read 383,229 times
A different take and keeping it simple - we moved from Boston to Denver a year ago as well and people we've met/spent time with are laid back.

Last edited by boston2denver; 07-19-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM

57 posts, read 169,033 times
"Keeping up with the Jones" (I my eyes when people need more or equal materialistic goods than others to feel good - defining them self through materialistic things) - I see by far more people in fancy new cars with the right rims and motorbikes or other toys here than in Mass. The same comes in terms of houses - people here are much more into biggest and most prestigious than in Mass. I don't mean to insult anyone but the OP is specifically referring to this.
I guess "Laid back" is subjective and it depends on how you interpret it (Laid back is in my eyes when people can take it easy and not get frustrated when things does not go exactly as planed) - let me try to explain what I mean. The culture in Mass is more aggressive and straight forward (More European culture) and in traffic people will honk you directly, in Denver area people will fly by you on the inside or in the on/off ramp because they cannot be held back by others. I see it as a different way of dealing with frustrations of when it does not go my way and I feel this frustration much more often here than in Mass.(obviously it is more unpleasant when people in traffic honk you than when they just fly by - but you are dealing with a "non laid back" person regardless) This is not only traffic but it is just very explicit here.

To be honest when I read the OP I could relate to the post but the subject is very subjective, but most thing are.

Last edited by AMPL; 07-20-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Too many Californains and Texans have moved here since then and changed it a lot around here. But the good news is that they are happy.
Yep..we kicked a lot of the judgmental, in-your-face Californians out of here.

Seriously, a lot of the people that people anywhere complain about are natives to that area. For example, here in CA, people complain about the liberals here...yet many of the liberals grew up in CA.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:59 PM

345 posts, read 914,113 times
I don't live in Boulder but I have had neighbors in the 'burbs who were very much into " Keeping up with the Jones". One set I know were natives. The most materlistic person I have have met in my life lives in Thornton, she though is from SD originally. I just do not pay attention t those people, they want to run up credit card debit and be stupid so be it.

I can tell you that Middle School and HS kids do care about their clothes, were they came from, name brands and etc. No matter where they live it is an issue.

If you want to come back just do not pay attention to those people and hit the stores for kids clothes when Hollister, Aeropostale and etc have sales

Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPL View Post
We moved from Boston to Denver a year back and most say (no doubt) people in general in Boston area are more down to earth and less into "keeping up with the Jones" than in the Denver area - The tendency to "keeping up with the Jones" was the big disappointment by moving here - lots of other thinks that for us made it worth it. >>>Don't move to Denver area for down to earth and laid-back people:-).
...............>>>Very accurate statement......it has changed AND GROWN dramaticaly since the 70s and 80s..

Quote:
Originally Posted by notatexan View Post
Hello.

I grew up in Boulder and haven't lived there since 1994, though I come back regularly enough. My husband and I are considering moving back, but I am concerned that Colorado has changed a lot.Yes, indeed it has changed A LOT since you left. We would be leaving a really lucrative situation professionally where we are now, but the reality is that I am tired of living in a place where people are so busy keeping up with the Jones and grooming their image that they have forgotten what matters. You will certainly find this to some extent in the Boulder area.In my opinion, it is because people where I live now are really insecure and that makes everyone super competitive, especially the women, it's sad. Now that we are thinking about having kids, I want them to grow up in a place where people have healthy senses of self, where they are secure in themselves enough to not worry if they have the 'right' handbag, are at the 'right' charity event, Boulder was never see and be seen land. Places with greater exposure to nature seem to 'keep it real'. But I do wonder, am I yearning for a community that was based on the 1970s and 80s that just doesn't really exist anymore?Yes, IMHO you are. I was disappointed to read on another thread several Coloradans preaching at this mother who had asked for a suggestion on where to live, about how she shouldn't be so far away from her kids. They can think what they want to, but I think of Colorado as a very independent and respectful of "each to their own" kind of place. I know there are all kinds of people everywhere, but I am tired of judgmental, preachy people. Are there any places out there where no one is ranking each other? In Boulder, kids at my high school drove jaguars and kids drove VW buses, and it didn't define who you were whatsoever. Where are the laid back, intelligent people living? I am 35, would like best of all worlds, spacious house with land and views but walking distance to coffee shops, used book stores, ethnic restaurants. Am I searching for the fantasy*** that was my youth?
..***Yes, to a certain extent....I'm afraid you are***......but don't let that deter you from continuing to try and find a location that fulfills your desires related to a "way of life" you are comfortable with.

.......I lived just outside (foothills) of Boulder for 16 years......after moving away, have visited back many times AND keep intouch with friends that still live there....thus fairly current re "living in Boulder vs 15 to 30 years ago. My opinions and comments (admittedly others may disagree) appear in RED in your post:

I might suggest that you explore the Grand Junction area, as well as Ft Collins and also the Loveland area.

Since you were approx 18 when you left Boulder, I think I can understand why you would like to find again "the Boulder of your youth".

As a final comment (certainly subjective): I am familiar with the Dallas/Ft Worth MetroPlex, specifically Denton, Irving, Farmers Branch, Southlake, Richardson and Frisco. I can easily understand your feelings......I could not ever live in that area.

Good luck in your quest.

EDIT: Almost forgot........don't overlook Montana. I moved out of Boulder for many of the reasons you have mentioned. Best decision I ever made.............AND, there are "lots of LAID-BACK folks" here in the Bitterroot Valley and western Montana. However, the fact that you both have employment situations there in TX that you are comfortable with would weigh heavily in considering a major change to another state.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 07-21-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: added comment about Montana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver