U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 PM

86,876 posts, read 102,258,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I was actually going to say that I think I want to hang out with Cupcake77 in Greenwood Village for a day. It would be fun. I don't mean this in a bad way, but she loves Greenwood Village and speaks highly of it, and I guess I just don't know where to go when I'm there -- to me, it seems kind of bland and boring, and I guess when I think of a place to live that is 'in the middle of everything', I usually think of Denver (I guess I'm biased, because I live in Denver), so I want to know what I'm missing!

As far as high schools go, I noticed, when I lived in California, that my friends who hadn't gone to college seemed to care more about high schools, and who went to which school, etc. Or maybe it's just a western thing. I grew up in an economically depressed area on the East Coast, so most people left the area after high school in order to go to college or find work. In fact, my 10-year reunion was canceled last year because of a lack of interest.
My friends from back east who didn't go to college (or didn't graduate) seem to have much stronger feelings about dear old high school (an actual line from our alma mater) than I do. This includes people who moved away, which is most of the class due to the steel industry crash. My high school class has a reunion every five years; there is a group, mostly of locals, that goes to all of them, and then there are people at each one who've never attended before. At our 40th a couple of years ago, there were about 40 people out of a class of 458.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I haven't thought about high school since, well, high school. I don't have strong feelings about my university either.

Back on topic, I second greatschools, but there's really nothing better than making a personal visit once you've narrowed down the possibilities.
Yes, greatschools will give you the scoop on test scores and the like, but a school can look good on paper and not be the right one for your kid. I would not over-extend myself to buy a house just so my kid could go to "High School A", nor would I be willing to drive 50 miles to work for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,880,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I agree with you... mostly. I was a product of Cherry Creek for grade 1-8. When I moved to DPS for high school I remember taking placement test for math and while everyone else was struggling with it, I breezed through it and surprised even the teacher with how fast I completed it and how high my score was. I don't bring this up to brag (in my middle school I was just an OK math student), but to me this shows that there are different standards in different districts.

Of course this was before standardized testing was the gold standard so all of my experiences may have nothing to do with the current reality.

We are in the top district in Tucson and if I am able to get back to Denver the school district will play a very large role when we decide where to live; however, we will still continue to be very involved in our children's educations and the district (and the specific schools within the district) will NOT be the dominant factor.
You are very right about the students at Cherry Creek.

After the first week of attending school at Campus MS (he came from a Catholic school), I asked him what he thought. He told me that "there are a lot of really smart people here."

When he took a national standardized (non-CSAP) test while at Campus, his math score was in the 87th percentile for the nation, but only in the 45th percentile for the school. Those are the kids that feed into Cherry Creek HS.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 PM

833 posts, read 1,433,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You are very right about the students at Cherry Creek.

After the first week of attending school at Campus MS (he came from a Catholic school), I asked him what he thought. He told me that "there are a lot of really smart people here."

When he took a national standardized (non-CSAP) test while at Campus, his math score was in the 87th percentile for the nation, but only in the 45th percentile for the school. Those are the kids that feed into Cherry Creek HS.
When I reconnect with a lot of the kids I went to school with (thank you Facebook), I see several attorneys, professors, PhDs, executives and other "high end" professionals. Of course not all of my old friends are in such careers, but percentage wise there are more than you would expect.

How much of this is due to the Cherry Creek School District, the individuals (and their families), the demographics of the neighborhoods and just plane chance? I honestly don't know. Entire books could be written about these variables (and have) and there is still no clear-cut answer, but I do know that the combination of all the above can lead to some pretty dramatic results.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
How much of this is due to the Cherry Creek School District, the individuals (and their families), the demographics of the neighborhoods and just plane chance?

"Plane chance"... apparently I was not one of the overachievers last night!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM

12,244 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
"Plane chance"... apparently I was not one of the overachievers last night!
Ready for take off. At least you caught your own mistake.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 PM

25 posts, read 20,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My friends from back east who didn't go to college (or didn't graduate) seem to have much stronger feelings about dear old high school (an actual line from our alma mater) than I do. This includes people who moved away, which is most of the class due to the steel industry crash. My high school class has a reunion every five years; there is a group, mostly of locals, that goes to all of them, and then there are people at each one who've never attended before. At our 40th a couple of years ago, there were about 40 people out of a class of 458.

Actually what highschool you went to is a way to define yourself in your home state, unlike college. People know where you grew up.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:12 AM

21,833 posts, read 23,061,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarming Darling View Post
Actually what highschool you went to is a way to define yourself in your home state, unlike college. People know where you grew up.
By the time we're adults, most people have better ways to define themselves. Where you went to highschool is just that. What you've done since then is what is important.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,209,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
By the time we're adults, most people have better ways to define themselves. Where you went to highschool is just that. What you've done since then is what is important.
From my experience, what high school you went to, years after graduation, is only important to the "townies" who stayed behind and never left the basic area they grew up in.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
From my experience, what high school you went to, years after graduation, is only important to the "townies" who stayed behind and never left the basic area they grew up in.
This goes double for small towns. My wife gets hounded to show up to her reunions - all the pressure is from the people who still live there.

I think it changes after 25-30 years or so. Generally, by that time people have their kids, careers and are a little more comfortable with who they are.

Once you hit the 50 year reunion mark I think people are just happy to see each other and that most everyone is still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or