Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM

310 posts, read 651,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
OakAve2, I got married ten years ago in my mid-50s. Prior to that time, I was a 35+ single female for about ten years. There are lots of 35+ singles, both male and female in the Denver area, but the “singles scene” is a tough one. You just have to be creative about your activities. I went to social groups at church, but I fell in between the young people and the geriatrics.

If you are outdoorsy, there are hiking and skiing clubs that do not have an age cap. There are tons of places to volunteer -- art museums, Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc. etc. etc. -- where you can meet other like-minded people, even single females.
Thanks for the insights, Dreaming of Hawaii!

I live in a place now where almost everyone is married off by 35 (at the latest) and I'm just not wanting to move back into that exact situation. I know a lot of people in the big cities (NYC, SF etc..) tend to stay single later...I just wasn't sure where Denver (and Boulder) fell in that spectrum. As long as there is somewhat of a decent pool to choose from, I can usually do pretty well with finding those creative outlets you describe, as I have a lot of interests.

For instance, I'm big into the animal welfare movement, so I end up volutneering alot with the Humane Society, etc...so I do get what you're saying as far as that type of thing goes. Good advice though.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
Psst..boys listen up!

For all the men who are single in Denver and looking to find single, beautiful classy ladies (think Charlize Theron, Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson(baywatch days)..natural beauties) move to Charleston,SC. They are everywhere and they outnumber the men. It's ridiculous!!!! I lived there for 7yrs and dating was pretty tough for women..to say it was slim pickings is an understatement.
LOL...thanks for the tip, but personally I don't think I could survive 5 minutes in SC with the heat and humidity. I've never been a fan of Southern (conservative) mindsets either...but hey, that's just me. Maybe your advice though will help get some of my potential "competition" out of Denver and down that way.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
I was at the senior center, the other day. There were these four ladies playing canasta. I was dressed real sharp and I had my best cane. As they saw me they got so exited. One almost tripped over her walker trying to get close to me. They starting cooing and googling me; trying to impress me. I told them I had to go but I would return tomorrow.

The next day, I got at the senior center after lunch time. Of course, I wore my best shirt, my better pants and I switched canes, so the gals would not think I was a one cane man. These ladies were there. They were all gussied up with some of their best finery and it appeared they all had new doos with new glistening silver and blue shades of hair.

I was a source of competition between these gaggle of girls. They all brought snacks for me. One had brownies, another a cake, another fudge, and another a big fruit pie. I just sat down and tried it all, being nice but trying not to act like one of their baked goods was better than another, for I did not want to start a hen fight over me.

So I would say, there is a good social life for us older singles (35++++++++++). You just have to know to go the the real exciting venues, like your local senior center. Yes, indeed, do some sparking and get yourself fed.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-21-2011 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I was at the senior center, the other day. There were these four ladies playing canasta. I was dressed real sharp and I had my best cane. As they saw me they got so exited. One almost tripped over her walker trying to get close to me. They starting cooing and googling me; trying to impress me. I told them I had to go but I would return tomorrow.

The next day, I got at the senior center after lunch time. Of course, I wore my best shirt, my better pants and I switched canes, so the gals would not think I was a one cane man. These ladies were there. They were all gussied up with some of their best finery and it appeared they all had new doos with new glistening silver and blue shades of hair.

I was a source of competition between these gaggle of girls. They all brought snacks for me. One had brownies, another a cake, another fudge, and another a big fruit pie. I just sat down and tried it all, being nice but trying not to act like one of their baked goods was better than another, for I did not want to start a hen fight over me.

So I would say, there is a good social life for us older singles (35++++++++++). You just have to know to go the the real exciting venues, like your local senior center. Yes, indeed, do some sparking and get yourself fed.

Livecontent

...and THIS is what qualifies as advice for an active, Denver-appreciating, youthful 40-y.o. professional guy with a serious question about singles near his age?

Thanks anyway, livecontent. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the senior center.

Why do I feel like I'm getting hazed here?

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-22-2011 at 03:06 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
...and THIS is what qualifies as advice for an active, Denver-appreciating, youthful 40-y.o. professional guy with a serious question about singles near his age?

Thanks anyway, livecontent. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at the senior center.

Why do I feel like I'm getting hazed here?

Lighten up! You asked for "Denver Single Scene for Older Singles (35+)". Well, that does apply to anybody 35+ which includes senior citizens, who can also have an active social life. It may not be your life, at this time, but it may be your life eventually or should I say, it will be your life, in a few years, mister youthful 40-y.o. who looks much younger . For crying out loud, you come off as some dashing, debonair lothario who is going to stun the social scene

It was only meant as hilarity and an amusement. It was written in the style of a short of O'Henry. This description should not be beyond your intellectual capabilities as a self described "professional". Since you took it so seriously, your comments showed a bit of your personality and attitudes toward others beyond the perfect mirror image you see of yourself.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-22-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Dude, we only "haze" those folks that we like....

Meanwhile, a limerickian tribute to LiveContent:

LC is a good 'ol geeze
With a very strong urge to please
To the Senior Center he goes
To romance Mabel, Ethel and Flo
And propose while on his knees
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-22-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Since you took it so seriously, your comments showed a bit of your personality and attitudes toward others beyond the perfect mirror image you see of yourself.
Wow, thanks so much for that sparkling, in-depth psychoanalysis...how much do I owe you Dr. Jung?

It's utterly amazing how you're able to pin me down from a mere few lines of text on an internet forum ...a little quick to judge, aren't we?

What you are sensing in my "taking it so seriously" is a tinge of frustration that the only responses I get from any actual Denver residents, on a question I asked earnestly and politely, are seemingly mocking my query. Of course I'm not talking about the geriatric ward. Could you not foresee how a mocking post such as yours could induce a little ire, in light of the virtual absence of any real responses from locals? Or, possibly your post wasn't intended to mock, but it came across that way to me, just like I guess I came across as smug to you.

I was hoping to get actual useful information on this subject as I'm trying to make a major decision...a bit ironic that I am seemingly getting stiffed on a board that is supposed to be so helpful. Don't worry about it. I'll just have to make a trip out there and check it out for myself, which I intended to do anyway.

Quote:
...it will be your life, in a few years, mister youthful 40-y.o. who looks much younger . For crying out loud, you come off as some dashing, debonair lothario who is going to stun the social scene
Sorry to have set off your "this guy is full of himself" alert. I'm actually nothing like that...if you only knew. If I put it the way I did I guess that was my way of trying to say that I could, and have, dated younger than my age...which is germane to the original question. I certainly was not trying to brag in any way...maybe I should have just said something like "my dating range is 32 to 45...what is the pool of available singles like in Denver for that age range?" and left it at that.

If your perception of my post is common, then I guess that could explain the lack of genuine responses. It was a serious question because, as I stated, I've been researching a possible move to Denver for a while, and I think I pretty much have my mind around all of the other elements (Denver passes!)...but this was the major sticking point.

If you choose to respond again, I would just ask you to please leave out the quick judgements and condescending comments.

Thank you to jld... Snikt...and Dreaming of Hawaii for your input.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
It's raining women; beautiful, quiet, insatiable and their dad's all own liquor stores. Hurry.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:45 PM

This Menver idea is all nonsense. It is only taken seriously by the young men who think because they cannot find a woman, thinking it has to do with the statistics of there being more men than woman in this "young" dating range. It really does not matter and has no effect on your success.

If you really want to play this statistical game then go after older woman. You will find many more older woman than men, who are looking for affection. No mockery intended. I am being serious. If you are over 40, then you are getting to the age where you will be a good catch for a woman of your age or older who may like younger men. At 40, you are really not that young especially to a much younger woman; unless of course you are rich.

What you think as geriatric, and you use that term disparagingly, also deserves respect because the question over 35+ should not exclude that group. You exclude them and mock them because you are think you are young and professional; and so serious. You cannot take a little joke story and just have a good laugh because you must be taken oh, so seriously---oh, I am being mocked.

You must be in your leisure suit, like a aged character from Saturday Night Fever, saying:

Mirror, mirror on the wall,
I am over forty, but that cannot be,
Because what I hope they see is a younger me.

Livecontent

Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Quote:

Livecontent
Like I said - You crack me up!! Such a tease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver