Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM

310 posts, read 651,250 times

Advertisements

Hello Denver area CDers -

I've been lurking and reading here for a while...there's a ton of info on the "singles scene" in and around Denver, but it seems to be mostly geared for younger folks (20's - early 30's). It sounds like there is a great singles pool (and stuff to do) for that age bracket, and especially for females.

How about for those of us singletons who are, say, 35+? Are we few and far between? Or (I'm hoping) is Denver also a great place for those of who are older than average, but still looking for a vibrant social life / dating scene? This question was nibbled on inside of a few other threads, but it seems that there are enough people on here curious about this that it merits its own thread.

Quick blurb about myself: I'm a 40-y.o. (but "youngish" and active...often mistaken for younger) straight male professional looking for a vibrant, walkable, urban community, but not too far from nature either. I'm self-employed as a marketing consultant / copywriter, so I can pretty much work from anywhere...allowing me a choice of neighborhoods. From info I've gathered on here and other places, I've honed in on Wash Park, Cherry Creek North, Highlands, or maybe Speer or Cap Hill.

I'm looking to move out west from the Midwest where I've been busy in recent years building up my business and taking care of an ailing parent who recently passed away. I am now clear to move (finally) to a place I actually want to live and put down roots...and I'm definitely ready to resume an active social life, and fwiw, yes, I would settle down if I found the right person.

On a related note...I keep reading about this "Menver" reputation...that the male / female ratio is a mess for single guys. Is this also true (to whatever degree it was ever true) for the 35+ crowd, or does this mainly apply to the younger set? I don't mean to dwell on it, but it is something a single guy (who is looking to actively date) needs to consider before a discretionary move. I'm hoping the next major move will be my last, so I'm trying to cover all the bases.

I pose these questions on here because I already know enough about Denver / Boulder in most all other areas to know that if is otherwise a great fit for me. My main concern is that Denver seems like a great town for young single people, but maybe the pool dries up after 35ish? Please tell me my concern is unfounded!

If anyone can answer the same question about Boulder, that would be great. Or, should I repost this on the Boulder forum?

Lastly...and in the spirit of full disclosure...I am also considering the Bay Area as my new home (hence the screen name). Both metros have a lot to offer, but Denver certainly has a huge edge when it comes to cost-of-living over SF/ OAK. If there are folks on here that could offer any comparisons of the 2 metros, that info would also be very welcome.

Thanks for reading. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-19-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM

121 posts, read 353,504 times
I couldn't find much for you but this is what I found

:http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...sh-people.html

I've been wanting to relocate to Denver for sometime now..I'm 39swf..lived in Chicago for 4 yrs and now temporarily Florida... there seems to be alot of us 35+ single, no kids CD'ers wanting to move to the area...esp women 33-45 age range..so that's a good thing for you! I think the
M to F ratio is about the same ...sure there may be more men but you also have to take into consideration that there are gay men in Denver as well..so I think the playing field is pretty even when you look at it that way.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
I couldn't find much for you but this is what I found

:http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...sh-people.html

I've been wanting to relocate to Denver for sometime now..I'm 39swf..lived in Chicago for 4 yrs and now temporarily Florida... there seems to be alot of us 35+ single, no kids CD'ers wanting to move to the area...esp women 33-45 age range..so that's a good thing for you! I think the
M to F ratio is about the same ...sure there may be more men but you also have to take into consideration that there are gay men in Denver as well..so I think the playing field is pretty even when you look at it that way.
Thanks for the reply!

I also lived in Chicagoland for 7 years (3 in the West Burbs and then 4 in Lincoln Park). What part for you?

Yes, I've noticed a few of us "elders" on the boards here recently, and as you state there's a nice little wave of females in this age range. I meant to move out to Denver (or NorCal) years ago but as they say, "life got in the way"...but maybe my timing is good after all!?

Any 35+ Denver local singles that can share your experience in this area?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I also lived in Chicagoland for 7 years (3 in the West Burbs and then 4 in Lincoln Park). What part for you?

Yes, I've noticed a few of us "elders" on the boards here recently, and as you state there's a nice little wave of females in this age range. I meant to move out to Denver (or NorCal) years ago but as they say, "life got in the way"...but maybe my timing is good after all!?

Any 35+ Denver local singles that can share your experience in this area?

I lived in East Lakeview/Wicker Park and the West Loop. I'm planning on going up in early August for a few days to check it out. If your work permits it, perhaps you can go there for a couple of weeks or longer and get a general feel for what life there might be like. I'm currently looking into that too, but it's pretty pricey. $1300-1700 month..corporate housing at the Marriot. I guess it's not that bad if you normally pay that much for rent. Then you also have to rent a car which just adds to the expense..good luck!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld13072 View Post
I lived in East Lakeview/Wicker Park and the West Loop. I'm planning on going up in early August for a few days to check it out. If your work permits it, perhaps you can go there for a couple of weeks or longer and get a general feel for what life there might be like. I'm currently looking into that too, but it's pretty pricey. $1300-1700 month..corporate housing at the Marriot. I guess it's not that bad if you normally pay that much for rent. Then you also have to rent a car which just adds to the expense..good luck!
Yep, I would have guessed North Side. I'd be very curious what ex-Chicagoans now living in Denver consider to be the closest Denver approximation of Lincoln Park / Wicker Park / Lakeview? I much prefer the more urban neighborhood feel (i.e. low-rise, historic buildings / small yards with trees / sidewalk & cafe culture) of those areas over the concrete jungle and high rises of the West Loop. Maybe you can check back in here with your insights? Other ex-Chicagoans please chime in as well!

Good luck with your Denver reconnaissance mission in August...you are probably a few months ahead of me, as I have many things I'm trying to wrap up here right now...including selling my house in this lousy market! . fyi - I came across a good site for nice, affordable, short-term housing: Vacation rentals, private rooms, sublets by the night - Accommodations on Airbnb You typically stay in people's homes like a B&B...cool accomodations, yet (usually) quite affordable. You might want to check it out as an alternative to the Marriott.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Attn: Denver C-D'ers...Please! Looking for a little input here!!

It seems that so far the only folks to respond to this (or even the related thread that resurfaced from '07) were potential transplants with the same question.

Any Denver area locals out there with experience in the 32+ single scene? (I even dropped it a couple years to bring in more responders )

I really think that Denver (or possibly Boulder) could be a great fit for me...but my major concern (my perception, just from what I've read) is that the singles pool skews way young, as opposed to say, the Bay Area, where at least a decent amount of folks remain single well into their 40's. Just looking for Denverites opinions / experiences / insights on this...I would be happy to be told that my perceptions are wrong.

Am I to assume from the lack of responses that the singles scene for 30ish+ is lame? Again, any feedback on this (positive or negative) would be greatly appreciated! I know there are some other posters / potential transplants on this board that would really like to get a little more info on this as well.

Maybe you folks have been bombarded with dating / "single scene" questions and are burned out on them. Understandable...I promise no more "dating" questions after this one!

Lastly, please don't be put off by my screen name. Yes, I'm considering both the Bay Area and Denver to move to..but there are a lot of factors pushing me towards Denver. I just happened to go to that board first, hence the name. Thanks again for any and all input!

Old 07-21-2011, 04:09 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,208 times
I doubt it's much difference from 20-40, the hiking club I'm in is 21-41. I think the general consensus is if you're a female you're set and males have a much harder time.

I've been here almost a year now and haven't had much luck at all

Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I doubt it's much difference from 20-40, the hiking club I'm in is 21-41.
Thanks for the response!

It is a little disconcerting that the hiking club caps it off @ 41, since I'm almost there... I am quite active and youthful for may age though, fwiw.

Quote:
I think the general consensus is if you're a female you're set and males have a much harder time.

I've been here almost a year now and haven't had much luck at all
Yes, I've heard a lot of the "Menver" sob stories from guys...but then I've also heard that it's mostly a myth and / or the ratio has balanced out quite a bit in recent years. It's hard to know exactly what to believe. It also could be a very subjective thing, and it comes down to how you approach it...some guys might have a lot of trouble, while others have a jumping social life.

Am I to take it that you're of the (straight) male persuasion, like myself? Anyway, good luck...maybe Year 2 will be better for you!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
OakAve2, I got married ten years ago in my mid-50s. Prior to that time, I was a 35+ single female for about ten years. There are lots of 35+ singles, both male and female in the Denver area, but the “singles scene” is a tough one. You just have to be creative about your activities. I went to social groups at church, but I fell in between the young people and the geriatrics.

If you are outdoorsy, there are hiking and skiing clubs that do not have an age cap. There are tons of places to volunteer -- art museums, Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Boys and Girls Clubs, etc. etc. etc. -- where you can meet other like-minded people, even single females.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Psst..boys listen up!

For all the men who are single in Denver and looking to find single, beautiful classy ladies (think Charlize Theron, Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson(baywatch days)..natural beauties) move to Charleston,SC. They are everywhere and they outnumber the men. It's ridiculous!!!! I lived there for 7yrs and dating was pretty tough for women..to say it was slim pickings is an understatement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver