U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,320 times

Advertisements

I have spent the last couple of days browsing this forum and I am impressed by the thorough advice that people here are able to give to others who are thinking of moving to Denver.

Recently, I’ve been considering where I want to live after grad school (I have one more year left) and Denver is on my list. I have visited once, albeit briefly and just downtown, but I was pretty impressed. The only other places I have lived are in the D.C. suburbs of northern Virginia and in San Francisco.

What I hated about the D.C. region most was the weather. Summers are extremely hot and humid and winters are extremely cold. I also have allergies in the spring. Which means that D.C. is enjoyable for me maybe two or three months out of the year. It’s also very straight-laced – it has a great mix of cultures but they are somewhat homogenized by the fact that most people work for the government or a government contractor

What I liked about D.C. was its relative cleanliness, the attractiveness and functionality of the transit service, and the fact that a lot of people are very motivated by their work.

In San Francisco, I mostly liked the weather—sunny, mild, low humidity. I liked that the city is more compact and the transit system covered the city well. Also, I was impressed that people seemed more open and willing to strike up random conversations than back east. I also liked that people in even serious professions are allowed to dress down and have flexible hours.

What I didn’t like about San Francisco was the fact that the city is pretty dirty and has a major problem with homeless and mentally ill people wandering around. The transit system is slow, often late, and crowded with tourists. It has a lot of really liberal activists who protest about seemingly silly issues, which contributes to a poorly-run government. There are also old hippies and young neo-hippies wandering around. (Not that there is anything wrong with this, I just couldn’t seem to adjust to seeing these types of people.)

What I'm looking for in a city is:

-Someplace where the streets and sidewalks are pretty clean
-Someplace you can move around easily by walking or taking transit
-Someplace sunny, without too extreme weather
-Someplace where the people are friendly and liberal but also have more subdued (perhaps suburban or professional) lifestyles
-Someplace that is laid-back but also orderly

I should mention that I’m looking to work in local or state government. I hope that I have been precise enough with my preferences. Hopefully I can get some feedback from you all about whether Denver would be a good fit for me.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate all of the accumulated wisdom that appears on these pages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 4,761,621 times
You won't know unless you visit-

Denver is not for everyone but has a lot to offer...
Sometimes the weather is extreme..it snows and sometimes a lot! Colorado is a liberal state but there are plenty of conservatives around....

I was born and raised and loved every minute of it...but moved..I suggest you go for a visit and really look around-I suggest in the winter.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,511,574 times
If you think DC winters are extremely cold, then Denver is not for you. Denver winters have blizzards and period of cold that can be much colder than DC. If you have allergies in the spring, then again Denver is not for you because allergies are prevalent in this area.

Denver is known as dry with low humidity but with this areas micro climate has changed because more trees have been planted; more water evaporating grasses and landscaping for businesses and public spaces; more people have water sucking landscaping which they water everyday; more reservoirs have been created to serve a bigger population that trap water locally and more people and their animal pets give off moisture. All this extra water goes into creating higher local humidity with more plants that causes more allergies.

The only way to know if the area is good for you is to take a more extended visit and better yet live here and give it a try.

We also have our share of ignorant, stupid, inconsiderate and criminal people of all races; be they degreed, non degreed; liberal or conservatives; rich or poor; working in government or not working in government.

Keep in mind, that there are advantages of a cold and snowy winter environment vs. mild weather of San Fran and LA is that cold and snow controls the growth of insects and the minimize people living on the street.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-21-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,320 times
Thanks for your feedback. I will try to arrange a visit during the wintertime. Maybe I will look on craigslist to see if anyone is trying to sublet their apartment for a week or two -- so I can get an idea of what living in the city is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or