Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and single, without much of a social circle. This isn't bothering me, but I do like to eat out a lot. I work from home, so getting out of the house when the work day is over is a huge priority. I was wondering, are there any restaurants that are particularly suited to someone who wants to just walk in, get a table for one and read a book while they eat? I'm tired of coffee shops and chain restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I went to Pete's Kitchen by myself once.

I'm a regular at a bar in Lakewood as well, and I usually go by myself.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:41 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm new here and single, without much of a social circle. This isn't bothering me, but I do like to eat out a lot. I work from home, so getting out of the house when the work day is over is a huge priority. I was wondering, are there any restaurants that are particularly suited to someone who wants to just walk in, get a table for one and read a book while they eat? I'm tired of coffee shops and chain restaurants.
Just about any restaurant, as long as it's not Valentine's Day. What kind of food do you want, what location do you want?

There are quite a few restaurants that also have communal tables, if you're interested in that kind of experience. (Do a search on Yelp for "Denver communal tables" for some suggestions.)

Old 07-22-2011, 07:40 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
@ David, I'm at Pete's on Colfax all the time

@suzco, anything that's kind of mid-range and isn't seafood. I don't want expensive, but mid-range to cheap and divey is really my sweet spot I hadn't considered the communal tables experience - will definitely check that out. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
There are places that at one time, many of us ate as singles, read a book and had many people around. Those places were college student union cafeterias. I know you are laughing and I have not been to one in years. Some now have food courts, so there would be a variety of food. Certainly it would not be expensive. Some have popular chains. These are places where the single diner is expected. Many times people will ask if you want to share your table.

You would see a variety of people. There will be the young and older student. Depending on the type of college, either residential or commuter, you would be exposed to a variety of people. Feeling alone and out of place would be a problem. It would be a good place to observe and wach different people.

So, if you look next to a college, give it a try. The student union at Auraria. Tivoli Tivoli Student Union is a little unique as it was a old brewery and has a food court
Food Around Auraria

Since it is more of a commuter campus, you will see people at all hours, day and evening. I would also add, on this campus, to visit the 9th Street Park, which is one of the original streets that has been preserved when they built the campus. It has some restaurants, coffee shops and college offices in the old houses. The street is maintained a park and is a very relaxing place.

Ninth Street Historic Park at Denver Story Trek

http://www.ahec.edu/campus/landmarks.htm

I have not been to Denver University Student Union in years but it would be a good experience to have meal.

So go back to your youth and perhaps you are closer to that age than I am. For if I sat at a table in a student union, I probably be too excited to eat--I would spend all my time googling all the young coeds and dreaming of yesterday.

Livecontent

Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM

93 posts, read 295,603 times
If I was you, I would check out The Hornet on something like 1st and Broadway. Awesome place

Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 PM

531 posts, read 1,145,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
So, if you look next to a college, give it a try. The student union at Auraria. Tivoli Tivoli Student Union is a little unique as it was a old brewery and has a food court
Food Around Auraria
I miss my days at Auraria. The Cimarron Cafe had the best coffee in the morning and great breakfast burritos. Pete's Arena also had pretty decent pizza. It is odd to me that I haven't considered going back to the Tivoli since not being a student. Maybe it deserves a trip back during lunch some day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver