Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,438 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my husband is taking a quick transfer to Brighton, Co. We have never even been to this area. Anyone know of a good suburb to Denver to move to? We have 2 small children and are looking for the place with the best schools, safe, lots of rec activities. We are driving up on Sunday to do house hunting and have no idea even where to start!?! We don't want to be too far away from Brighton but yet, him commuting is fine if we found a great home in a great neighbourhood. Or is Brighton a nice place to live? Maybe......
Any help would be soooo appreciated!
Oh and are there lots of mosquitos there? I HATE mosquitos, and where I live we are overrun by them.

Last edited by Sillycat; 07-22-2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 PM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
Brighton is a suburb about 30-40 mins North of Denver, unless there is traffic. Brighton is off of Highway 85 for the most part, there is an unicorporated area to the West.

They have shopping, grocery stores, a nice newer movie theater, Rec center, and other things to do. It is a fine place to live, there are of course some not so nice houses and areas but if you stick to the newer houses you should be fine living there.

Their schools are fine, they do also have charter schools. Not sure if it is still in the old court house/jail or not.

I spend alot of time in the Brighton area and do some work there as well so if you have specific questions, ask

Old 07-23-2011, 09:34 AM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
I must have missed the Thornton part.

I lived in Thornton for 7 years, it is a bigger "city" then Brighton, who has more rural areas that I won;t get into. You did not say you wanted a country place on a few acres
Thornton is a large suburb with more activites, shopping and etc then Brighton. It is off of I-25 and goes out toward the East as well as North to South, depending on what exit you get off. It is not too far from Brighton, it was about 10 mins from where I lived to get there.

The 80's streets I would stay away from, it get nicer the further North you go. Some parts of Thornton are in the Adams 12 school district, my kids went there. It is a good school system.

Your family would do fine in either area. Brighton is probably cheaper house-wise.
Their sales tax at the newer stores is 9.75% due to public improvement fees. The sales tax in either place is 8.75% without the fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver