U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:44 AM

11 posts, read 23,881 times

Advertisements

If I get a call next week about a position I interviewed for, I'll be looking to pack up and be in Denver in 2 weeks. I've done some searching but I wanted to see if anyone has any specific advice regarding living situations.

I am looking for a place that will allow me to meet people. I love immersing myself in the community - the closer the apartment/condo/loft is to social outlets the better.

My price range is $1000-1700 depending on what I get for the money. I guess if there were some place that would really wow me and look like a great place to meet/take a lovely lady, then perhaps I'd go higher.

I've been looking through the Denver guide but I was hoping people would have other suggestions in regards to plugging into the community and meeting people. I was thinking of joining some rec leagues for different sporting activities, joining a crossfit gym or something to that tune in an effort to stay in shape and meet people.

I enjoy science, computers, sports, art, plays, etc. I feel I am fairly diverse in my tastes so hopefully there will be plenty to be involved with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 29,418,729 times
Where is work?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:10 PM

310 posts, read 563,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biocmp View Post
I was thinking of joining some rec leagues for different sporting activities, joining a crossfit gym or something to that tune in an effort to stay in shape and meet people.

I enjoy science, computers, sports, art, plays, etc. I feel I am fairly diverse in my tastes so hopefully there will be plenty to be involved with.
Be careful...that kind of self-description could be interpreted by some on this forum as self-inflating and egotistical...even if it is just intended to inform people of your specific situation to allow for better responses.

I'm not a Denver resident, but from what I've learned...I think you could be happy in areas such as LoDo (right next to Coors Field), Washington Park (also referred to as just "Wash Park"), Cheesman Park, Highlands, Capitol Hill, Congress Park, Baker, Speer, or possibly Cherry Creek North, if your budget will allow it. I know that's a pretty expansive list, but you can search on each of those under the "Search This Forum" tool, and pull up threads with more detailed information on each.

You only mentioned "Denver" in your original post, so these are all Denver city neighborhoods. There are plenty of other nice communities in the burbs, but I would recommend living in the city for a newcomer interested in meeting new people, and looking for an active social life. Each of the neighborhoods mentioned has a bit of its own "personality"...I think your task is to find the one that seems to fit you the best. Your budget is generous enough IMO to allow you some flexibility there.

In general, I think you'll find Denver will offer you plenty of opportunities to get involved in just about all the interests and activities you mentioned.

Of course, a visit to see for yourself is always recommended. Good luck.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-23-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

I may be visiting this weekend, I found out I'll be moving there.

The position is in Lakewood, CO. So any suggestions that would keep me downtown-ish and close to work? I should pull back how much I'm willing to pay for rent and keep it close to no more than $1200

Hopefully that slims down the options. Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry if the first post seemed self-inflating. It's my first time moving westward, (from Indiana) so this is an exciting time!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM

310 posts, read 563,789 times
Quote:
Sorry if the first post seemed self-inflating
It wasn't...don't worry about it. I was referencing an exchange in a different thread that really has nothing to do with your post.

Quote:
The position is in Lakewood, CO. So any suggestions that would keep me downtown-ish and close to work?
It's my first time moving westward, (from Indiana) so this is an exciting time!
Lakewood is a near-in suburb just west of the city limits. None of the city neighborhoods I mentioned above are terribly far from there, so I would think any of the commutes would be manageable. Again though, I'm not a local (have just researched the Denver area extensively), so I'll defer to any others who might have more specifics on this.

Knowing now though that you are working in Lakewood, you might want to focus your search a little more on the areas just west of downtown Denver and I-25. Some of these areas being the Highlands, Lo-Hi, West Highland, Jefferson Park, and Sloan's Lake, which I've heard is also a very nice area, adjacent to Lakewood. Out of all those, I think Highlands and Lo-Hi will probably offer you the most social and entertainment opportunites.

I think you'll find you have a lot of suitable options. Good luck.

Last edited by OakAve2OakLand; 07-25-2011 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,910,358 times
Where in Lakewood? It is a rather large suburb.

If you live in Denver and commute west, then you will be reverse commuting so the drive shouldn't be terrible as long as you are not working in South Lakewood and living near downtown.

The fastest route from Denver to northern Lakewood is Colfax Ave.

If you are working at the Denver Federal Center or near 6th and Union, then the easiest way to get there is 6th Ave Freeway or Alameda St.

If you are working in Academy Point at Hampden Ave and Wadsworth, then the best route is Hampden Ave. (US 285).

If you are more specific about where you'll work, it will be easier to match you with a suitable area that has an easy commute.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Let me see if I can find out a specific location. I don't know the address yet. It's one of the local Exempla hospitals. I'll add more in a bit. Do you have specific complexes for me to checkout?

Thanks for the replies

Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,554,912 times
Quote:
Let me see if I can find out a specific location. I don't know the address yet. It's one of the local Exempla hospitals. I'll add more in a bit. Do you have specific complexes for me to checkout?

Thanks for the replies
There is no Exempla Hospital in Lakewood. There is St. Joseph in Denver; Goood Samaritan in Lafayette; Lutheran in Wheat Ridge.

I suspect you mean Wheat Ridge--It is on a very nice campus between
West 38th and West 32nd., just west of Wadsworth. You will have many nice options of places to live.

Livecontent

Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM

I believe I'll be positioned near Lakewood. I'll be working in the IT department for them and I believe it is housed in a separate location.

I will also have a fair amount of travel involved, so proximity to the airport isn't a bad thing.

Once again, i don't have to be right next to my work if I'm being pulled away from my desired demographic.

Thanks for all of the help

Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Anyone else have suggestions? I have a growing list of places that look promising but I'd love to hear more opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or